TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2002, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Argh!

Just got back from picking up my 1999 3023 from Grand Rapids, Michigan, we live in Phoenix.  The trailer was in great shape when picked up at the dealer.  I say was in great shape.  Have read most if not all of the posts on this web site.  Was aware of the issue with the Carlisle (sp?) tires.  When I saw they were Carlisles on the trailer I was concerned by thotoughly examined them and they looked in good shape for the 2,000 mile trip.  About 50 miles into Oklahoma I heard a sound from the trailer and looked back just in time to see the tread flapping around then come off in one large piece.  The portion of tire under the tread held together (inflated) for about 5 seconds before the tire finally blew.  Was able to get it stopped ok but was horrified to find the amount of damage.  The trailer did not have the round wheel well modification.  Found the flapping tread broke off the drains, broke thru the wheel well metal and damaged the kitchen sink cabinet and bathroom wall.  The wheel well cover will need to be replaced as well.  I had considered replacing the tires before heading out but gambled and lost.  My bad......thanks everyone for putting the right information out there, just needed to follow the advice.  Estimate the repairs to be $1 - $2k.