TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
yendor
BannedUsers

Smile Toilet With Holding Tank

After Much Discussion With Other Forum Members I Have Designed The Perfect Toilet & Holding Tank Combo For A Trailmanor. It Is
A Pleasure To Go Camping And Not Have To Smell The Bathroom,
Even If All You Can Smell Is The Tank Santizer. No More Running
Accross The Campground At Midnight For #2 . Although
The Capacity Is Just A Little More Than 16 Gallons Thats More Than
3 Times The Capacity Of The Thetford Stinker. Not Bad In The
Scheme Of Things . Because This Just A Protype My Future Project
Should Have A Larger Capacity, I Was Limited In Size In Order To Reuse All Original Plumping Fittings Along With Just A Few Additional
Parts. This Is A Full Flushng And Fully Functional Toilet. If
Something Like This Generates Enough Interest Perhaps We
Could Proceed With Further Design. Yendor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet2.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2358  
yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
mtnguy

So, what do you use for water for flushing when boondocking......your limited water supply that you are already rationing to last the camping trip??? A couple of days with drinking water, washing dishes, cooking, and a couple of showers can deplete that 20 gal. of water pretty quick.

You new system may be OK for RV parks when using hookups, but I am not sure about the benefits when boondocking.

Our Thetford doesn't smell, and we don't just do #1.

Chap
Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
yendor
BannedUsers

Bring extra water if if you need to. Most people don't shower when boondocking. where do
you # 2 when you boondock??? & do you use paper or leaves???. I'm not sure what it is you getting at . If your happy with your portapotty because that is all is good for, Good for
you. And no I'm not going to tell you how big my truck or rig is .
Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
mgoblue911

We have no issues with the smell or performance of our Thetford toilet, and it is subjected to the worst of everything as well. In fact, when we camp with our neighbors and they are emptying their conventional RV system, I have to vacate the area. God help us all on the days when he decides to power flush the system. He cleared a whole section of the campground. His kids came running over to seek shelter in our TM.

No thank you. I like the Thetford system.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
BamaJim

I have joined the forum as a perspective TM buyer. All the trailers I've owned had Thedford toilets with holding tanks. How do you empty the TM toilet? I missed that in the sales talk! And my wife was concerned about rinsing pots without two sinks!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
yendor
BannedUsers

Smile I'm not selling anything

If your happy with the current setup thats wonderful
Just sharing a little knowledge with the open minded members
to let them know it can be done another way . Is it a better way
that depends on the individuals needs. My #2 smells and I'm
not ashamed to admit it .
Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor View Post
Bring extra water if if you need to. Most people don't shower when boondocking. where do
you # 2 when you boondock??? & do you use paper or leaves???. I'm not sure what it is you getting at . If your happy with your portapotty because that is all is good for, Good for
you. And no I'm not going to tell you how big my truck or rig is .
Yendor,

Didn't mean to upset the apple cart.

As to your comments:

Re extra water: I do.

Re showering: No need for us to be uncivilized when dry camping.

Re #2: I believe if you reread my post again, it will show that our Thetford is used for both #1 & #2. I don't flush leaves down the toilet.

Re "what I am getting at": The Thetford works great for us with dry camping. The Thetford is one of the items that make the TM a great all around camper. Your conversion should be great with hookups, and maybe even with shorter dry camping stays.

Re truck size: I don't see where that has anything to do with the toilet.

Oh, by the way, you have a nice looking conversion.

Chap
Old 10-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJim View Post
I have joined the forum as a perspective TM buyer. All the trailers I've owned had Thedford toilets with holding tanks. How do you empty the TM toilet? I missed that in the sales talk! And my wife was concerned about rinsing pots without two sinks!!!

BamaJim,

The TM Thetford is a recirculating toilet. It takes what is in the bottom of the toilet, seperates the solids, and then uses the left-over liquid to flush the bowl when you push the button. It has no fresh water plumbing to it, so it doesn't use any fresh water, other than the initial charge. To empty the toilet, you pull the toilet line valve from the outside of the camper, then pull the lever under the toilet. To save raising the TM at a remote dumping site, you can pull the lever under the toilet before closing up the TM.....but make sure the outside valve is closed tight, or things could get messy.

And I agree, a 2 part sink would better. We use a small tub to make a "divided" sink.

Chap
Old 10-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
yendor
BannedUsers

Smile My Apologies

The Conversion Uses Not Much More Water Than You May Use To Charge The Thetford System . Iv'e Installed A Valve That Allows
Me Reduce The Water Flow To The Bowl In Order To Save Even
More Water. As To Dry Camping I Got 7 Days Worth Last Trip Out
And No Plastic Wrap Over To Top Of The Bowl On The Way To The
Dump Station. Sorry About The Sarcassion I Sometimes React
First And Think Later . Thanks For The Possitive Comments
Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor View Post
The Conversion Uses Not Much More Water Than You May Use To Charge The Thetford System . Iv'e Installed A Valve That Allows
Me Reduce The Water Flow To The Bowl In Order To Save Even
More Water. As To Dry Camping I Got 7 Days Worth Last Trip Out
And No Plastic Wrap Over To Top Of The Bowl On The Way To The
Dump Station. Sorry About The Sarcassion I Sometimes React
First And Think Later . Thanks For The Possitive Comments
The initial charge of the Thetford is usually done at home before leaving on a trip, so that doesn't cut into your fresh water storage.

Since you got 7 days of use out of your last trip, then you have a better system that the Thetford. I got a pretty full toilet after 6 days dry camping, and that was with a short charge, and the tree method for me for #1....but the missus refused that for herself. I did't pull the inside handle for that little bit of extra storage, but did use the plastic wrap "safety" system because of some rough roads......but it wasn't needed.

And I for 1 will be interested in your future posts on the details of your installation. If my present system gives up the ghost, I will consider any and all ideas before replacing or upgrading the original equipment.

And no apology is needed. I kinda questioned the need for the conversion on my 1st post, so maybe I need to do the apologizing.

Chap