TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
househunterlives

Default That's the idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhotel View Post
now folks
this is thinking outside the box, do not lose the storage box, but what about the door it'self, being made into the step, mybe somekind of fold out ,then folds up and makes the door, not that i would ever get around to it, but it does make me think.
That is what I am talking about. You wouldn't loose that much storage. Just the door part. If you incorporate the steps into the door, which closes then you have it. You have to store the steps any way and that is where we store ours.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #32
househunterlives

Default That Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm thinking that trying to make the steps fold into the storage cabinet may make things harder than they have to be. Why not make it fold up flat onto the bed? I whomped up a quick sketch of another idea.

Basically, you build a conventional ladder, with three rungs. The bottom end rests on the floor; the top end is hinged, so it can swing over on top of the mattress (or under it - your choice).

Now make two flat stair treads, attached to each other on their sides with swing arms. Put hooks on the back of each, to hook over the rungs in the ladder. When you take them off the ladder, the treads fold down flat.

This diagram needs some tweaking, of course, but to me it is a quick idea that shouldn't be too hard to build.

Comments?

Bill
Now we are thinking people. Great idea Bill. TrailManor could take it the next step....LOL Get it next step What if you cut a hole into the bed frame, a box of sort so when you are not using it the ladder/step would slide into the bed. It would have its own compartment and wouldn't take away from the storage compartment.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #33
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bob -

I like it! I like it a lot! In most ways it is better than my idea. The only good thing about mine was that it had wide treads, which someone asked for (dogs?) I see no reason why yours couldn't have them, too, for anyone who needs them.

My sketch was better, though ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #34
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I love rumbleweed's design, started on something like that last year, but the new mattress and DW's requirement that it be foolproof for the dog to use made it impractical. Sadly.

Sliding into a compartment like the ramp on a moving truck would be great if TM had engineered it in the first place.

Obviously there's no one-size-fits-all, but for me I think a door replacement will be my best option... Until I try to build it, that is :P

Going to have to check out Lowes...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Just for phun, I dug up this old thread with another idea for a built in step - see post #5:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2071

Wally World does not stock the wood step stool pictured in the stores. It can be found with a Google search.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #36
Brifla

How about the lower half of the storage door, hinged at the top, that swings out. It has 4 legs attached with hinge on inside (square tubular aluminum) that fold out to provide support. To store, the legs fold back against the inside of that lower door half. Would only need to give up about 1" behind the door for this. Upper half of door would still have 2 hinges on left side for opening entire door to access storage.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
yoda911

We made 2 removable steps to get into the bed of our 2720SD which helps us and our aging dog when she wants to be with the pack. When not needed they are stored in the closet. (The steps, not the dogs!) All I did was to cut 2 pieces of plywood covered in carpeting for traction, one side slides between the bottom and middle drawer on the left and the other slides between the top and middle drawer. For support on the right I screwed 3/4 x 3/4 inch support pieces to the bathroom wall. Granted there is no access to the drawers and back cabinet when the steps are in place but both steps can be easily removed if needed. We love how easy they are to put in and take out, makes getting into the bed very easy too, even with a recent knee replacement.

We haven't seen a problem with the weight on the drawers yet but we don't do jumping jacks on them either. With both steps in place the weight is distributed across the width of both drawers. I am more concerned about the other side but they seem to be holding up OK too. Everything folds down and you can still access the electrical panel if needed once the steps are removed. The only real problem is access to the drawers or back cabinet but the steps are so easily removed that this hasn't really been a problem.

I actually have to raise up the middle drawer to make room for the bottom step then I have to raise up the top drawer to make room for the top step. I didn't have any extra room between the drawers and with ours, there is no slipping at all. I was surprised but it is a very tight fit. I was initially even considering shaving down the edges of the plywood some so they would fit easier but that wasn't needed. As one of my engineering professors once told me, KISS (keep it simple stupid!)

Hope this helps.
yoda911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #38
klv5920

Wow, Yoda, sure like this idea and it sounds so simple.
What thickness of plywood did you use?
Got any pictures to share?
Hmm. Something else to ad to the list of "To Dos".

Karen
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #39
yoda911

Quote:
Originally Posted by klv5920 View Post
Wow, Yoda, sure like this idea and it sounds so simple.
What thickness of plywood did you use?
Got any pictures to share?
Hmm. Something else to ad to the list of "To Dos".

Karen
Hi Karen
I used 3/4 inch cabinet grade ply just because I had it laying around. The lower step is 14 inches deep and the top is 10 inches but I had to add a piece of hard wood to the back of the 10 inch piece because it was bowing. Also, the electrical panel is right where the lower step goes so I had to pull the cover off and apply support strips vertically to it to allow access to the panel. This was just a trial run to see if it would work. The next step is to make it look like it belongs there. Hope this helps Karen.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...1&d=1335878707
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	7304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	7305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	7306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	7307  
yoda911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #40
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda911 View Post
Hi Karen
I used 3/4 inch cabinet grade ply just because I had it laying around. The lower step is 14 inches deep and the top is 10 inches but I had to add a piece of hard wood to the back of the 10 inch piece because it was bowing. Also, the electrical panel is right where the lower step goes so I had to pull the cover off and apply support strips vertically to it to allow access to the panel. This was just a trial run to see if it would work. The next step is to make it look like it belongs there. Hope this helps Karen.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...1&d=1335878707
This is the most interesting idea I have seen so far. Ever since I started reading this post I have thought I really don't like either step we have now.

1. My only real concern is the weight being put on the drawers, have you noticed any issues with the drawers holding the extra weight yet?

2. They already look pretty good what are you thinking of doing to make them look better?

3. I assume you have checked if the wardrobe folds down with the strips on the electric center?

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote