TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2003, 02:27 AM   #21
Bruce

Default Re: Solar Panels on TM??

WOW! A factory installed solar setup. This is the first I have ever heard of. Sounds super.

Bruce
Old 05-16-2003, 06:57 AM   #22
2619PDX

Thanks, Judy. I share Bruce's amazement about a factory installed solar set up.

I replaced the battery last night. Put in an 8D. Now I've got plenty of reserve capacity.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:10 PM   #23

What is an 8D battery?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:23 PM   #24
2619PDX

An 8D is a very large RV size deep cycle battery. It has gobs of reserve capacity (rated for 200 amp/hr reserve at current draw of 25 amps). It was lighter (130 #'s) and cheaper than adding 3 individual batteries, and it fit's in the same space behind the LP tanks of my 2619 right in the front of the trailer.

And yes, it takes 3 men and a small boy to instal the thing... But it's worth it...
Old 05-17-2003, 01:57 PM   #25

Where do you purchase an 8D battery?  Is it 6 or 12v?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:46 AM   #26
2619PDX

Judy:
An 8D is 12 VDC. In my case, I went to one of my customers who is a heavy duty truck parts distributor, E.H. Burrell here in Portland.

As I understand it, you can also buy them from RV service centers in your area as well. Mine is an Exide Nautilus.

Gregg
Old 05-19-2003, 12:45 PM   #27
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Can any of you folks review the sources/prices of solar panels in various capacities?  Likes somewere between 50 watts and 500 watts - what did you pay and where?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:09 PM   #28
flyday

Hey, Bill-
Try www.rvsolarelectric.com. They were listed in a previous thread and have complete kits to piece-meal set-ups. They also have a method for determining how many panels and batteries you should have, as well as a free catalog. I'm looking into this also but would like to keep my set-up portable. Anyway, RV Solar Electric looks like a good starting point.
Dick
Old 05-20-2003, 03:36 AM   #29
2619PDX

After doing this same research, I'm buying my system from Camping World and having it installed today for $1083 for two 75 watt panels and a charge controller.

This seemed to be a reasonable deal based upon what's out there, and CW does the labor.

I've met a local engineer here at Freightliner that has a solar powered home up in Northeaster Washington state. He's as close to an expert as I can find. Anyway, I reviewed all the possibilities with him, and he agreed that the CW program was a good deal.

Gregg
Old 05-20-2003, 06:23 AM   #30
Chris_Bauer

Gregg,

I think it is a good choice.  I have been doing my research and I can't justify sending away for the pieces, paying freight in some cases, and then doing or looking for an installer.

CampingWorld charges a little extra sometimes but in this case you go to one place for everything and they will backup their work on the installation.

Keep us posted on how your system turns out. I'm chomping at the bit to get mine.

Chris