TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #1
David Richardson

Default WOW... Got it!

Hi,

Well we got it. After looking for awhile we finally bought a 2006 3124KB in Texas and just arrived home today in So. California. The total trip was 3280 miles and about half was towing the TM with a 2000 4Runner.

First Impressions:

1- It really towed easy behind what many would say is an undersized tow vehicle. Granted I would not recommend a 6 cylinder 4Runner for this trailer, but on the relatively flat ground of the I-10 we had no problems. I never felt unsafe and was able to keep up with traffic even on the larger grades. We do plan to upgrade to a Sequoia in the near future, but for now would not hesitate to use the 4Runner.

2- Trailer did not seem to sway much at all. It was a delight to tow and I feel that a larger tow vehicle would only make it more rock solid. We used a Robin 1000/10000 WDH and a prodigy brake controller and both worked perfectly.

3- Setup was really not that bad. By the second time we were getting it done within 5 minutes. We still have a lot of room to improve, but the trade offs for us are all mostly positive. We looked at Hi-Lo's, but upon driving home from the dealer we saw a 2619 TM. We investigated and decided that the TM was for us. So far we feel great about out choice. Certainly it can be different for others, but we like this unit. One of the main deciding factors for us was the permanent beds. Lot's of space for the weight and size of the trailer.

4- Toilet seemed to work just fine. This was one of our biggest concerns, but it worked great for the couple of nights we used it. Of course time will tell, but I it seems like it will work out. We got one of those tote units and should be able to manage with no issues.

5- We have lived full-time in a 30' Wilderness for three years about 16 years back. So we are not new to trailers and the first thing I notice was the loud furnace. Is this just me? Any suggestions in reducing the fan noise?

6- I need to learn how to work on TMs. One of the corner table support screws is stripped out. I need to reattach it to the forward wall. I am sure this forum will provide proven methods for addressing this issue. I will search the forum later.

7- The trailer is well thought out and I really like the design. It is a very practical usable design that provides for flexibility and comfort. With gas prices rising it is nice to know that you can tow this trailer with only a relatively minor lost in fuel milage. No need for a monster truck as a tow vehicle as with some of the other trailers I see going down the road.

8- This is a really good size trailer when thinking about how easy it tows and how small it is when folded down. I am still impressed with the room it provides. It was very cozy during our trip and we enjoyed all of it's many features.

Overall we are very please with this unit and look forward to spending many weekends somewhere else. That is the point of having a travel trailer... right?

Glad to be a part of this forum,

David and Jeanie
Sunland, Ca.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Richardson View Post
Hi,

Well we got it. After looking for awhile we finally bought a 2006 3124KB in Texas and just arrived home today in So. California. The total trip was 3280 miles and about half was towing the TM with a 2000 4Runner.

First Impressions:

5- We have lived full-time in a 30' Wilderness for three years about 16 years back. So we are not new to trailers and the first thing I notice was the loud furnace. Is this just me? Any suggestions in reducing the fan noise?

David and Jeanie
Sunland, Ca.
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy your TM.

I'll just comment on one of your 'impressions'. Yes, I thought the furnace was a bit loud on our 2619 also. What helped a little, was to tighten the four screws at the corners of the louvered metal heat vent. Tightening the screws seemed to eliminate some of the vibration and noise. But I don't think there's a whole lot you can do - you have a fairly strong motor/blower enclosed in what essentially is a wooden box - so there's going to be some noise transfer. Almost like the 'subwoofers' the audio fans mount in their cars

Actually, I've gotten used to it, and find it reassuring when I hear the blower come on when it's cold outside.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Depending on your needs, you might consider using a ceramic cube heater for supplemental heat. The furnace is relatively noisy and an electric heater might be a good substitute.

We love our TrailManor!

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
grakin

Congratulations!

Also, good thinking on having a good brake controller and WDH set up for the towing. Too many people take their first tow without either (I was guilty of both, sadly).
Old 12-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I wonder if you covered the wooden box the heater is in with cut to fit blue board if it would dampen the sound???

We were so tired each night last month when we camped that we did not really notice the propane heater noise. We did also use a ceramic heater...we did not have an electric blanket...but used a goose down comforter...and stayed very warm and also had no condensation inside. It got down to 14 to 16 degrees 3 or 4 nights while we camped.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Freedom

They do make catalytic heaters to replace the noisy furnace.
http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...969&ci_sku=222
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
PopBeavers

I would never go to sleep with any heater running that is not vented to the outside.

I don't like heaters that require that I leave a window open.

But, if it works for you, go for it.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
David Richardson

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. This is one of the best forums that I have visited when it comes to participation and friendly advice. Really a great forum!

I think I will try a ceramic heater for times when we camp with hook-ups. It makes since to use the electirc power that is provided with the site rather than my propane and it will reduce the furnace noice while we are awake which is the only time I care about the noise.

Merry Christmas,
David
Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
saltamonte

Default Welcome Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Richardson View Post
Granted I would not recommend a 6 cylinder 4Runner for this trailer, but on the relatively flat ground of the I-10 we had no problems.
Glad to hear you had a safe journey. One comment about your 4Runner. I have a 2002 4Runner that I use to tow my 2007 2720SL.

I installed a TRD (Toyota Racing Development) supercharger and it increased the power output of the 6 cylinder by 40%. Yes I'm not joking - 40%, with little or no increase in fuel consumption and not by violating any laws of physics. It really gave me the necessary power for passing and pulling on grades. They cost about $2000 however, so If your upgrading to a larger vehicle it's not worth the expense.