TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Rough roads to campsite - consequences

We went up over the weekend, and were on some rough dirt roads for a few miles. I had loaded to the gills with water, since it was to be 4 days in the boonies.

I was glad I had re-routed the fresh-water overflow (our tank is in the rear) through the floor, and away from the side-wall exit that the factory installed. We did one trip, and the curtain on the street side was wet. Overflow backwash. This trip, we lost about 5 gallons through the overflow vent. Would have had a very wet curtain without the mod!

The worst consequence was the water heater (remember, I filled it at home) pulled loose from all wall mounts. All screws were on the ground when I opened the shell, and the heater-compartment door latch was destroyed (have another on order now).

So, I am going to bolt the water heater to the wall, instead of screws through aluminum. Will put large washers inside to hold it more securely.

Just want to give anyone who goes over rough roads a heads-up that you may want to secure your water heater, if you travel with it full. I'll post pics of the re-mount when I have it completed.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Try putting a shut off valve on your overflow and close it while traveling, then remember to open it when parked for venting and overflow. We boondock most of the time and don't lose water on bad roads, 'course I don't travel on them very fast either. If my tires are kicking up any dust, then I'm going too fast.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

The valve is on my to-do list. Just need to pick one up the next time I am near an RV dealer.

We were going slow, as the road was too rough to go over about 10 mph. Slow going.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I made the water heater mounts more robust, so the screws don't pull out the next time I go off-road. Just got some ¼" x 1.25" hex-head bolts, and nylon locknuts, along with fender washers which I already had.

Quick work for 6 of the 7 screws I could replace, but the one on the back side of the heater was harder to get to. Had the DW push from the outside while I contorted to put the nut on the inside. Got it done. Seems like it will be much more secure.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
The valve is on my to-do list. Just need to pick one up the next time I am near an RV dealer.
The valve is not RV-specific. You should be able to pick one up at a hardware or big box store.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just FYI, the large washers I use for re-enforcement are called "fender washers".
Old 06-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
I made the water heater mounts more robust, so the screws don't pull out the next time I go off-road. Just got some ¼" x 1.25" hex-head bolts, and nylon locknuts, along with fender washers which I already had.

Quick work for 6 of the 7 screws I could replace, but the one on the back side of the heater was harder to get to. Had the DW push from the outside while I contorted to put the nut on the inside. Got it done. Seems like it will be much more secure.
I like this. One time I traveled with water in the heater tank and it pulled out a little bit. Since that time I've always dumped it. But this would make it secure either way. Thanks for the picture.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

On the inside end of the water heater, I put a strap around the water heater (plummer tape).

The end that go through the outside wall of the camper. I think the ideal thing would be when the water heater is out to cut out the foam one inch back. I woud then glue 1 inch aluminum square tubes to reinforce the wall.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
flipflop

Good headsup, thanks.

Tags
water heater mount