TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Default tybee island run

well we decided to make a vac run to tybee island ga. we do a few times a yr, this time we decided to take the hotel, only maid service this time is me we made the run well, felt a little better with the few mods made so far,out of east tenn over sams gap into ashville nc and down to columbia sc, lot of mountains that first 100 miles, made columbia got 12.5 mpg from there to tybee , got just under 15.5 mpg in the flat land ,took scrubjayenest advice and put the tm on a diet, really looked at what was not needed,was i would guess 200 lbs. or more, could really tall the diff. do have to take a look at tail light , one was out again when i got here, i will find that gremlin yet well got to go,, i a dog spill to clean up

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Glad you had a good time and everything worked out pretty well. We start our western run on Leap Day, 1st stop is Coe's Landing near Tallahassee.
We will be checking out a few free city park campgrounds once we get into Tx.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Bob&Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhotel View Post
....over sams gap into ashville nc and down to columbia sc....
Sam's Gap - boy do we know that one well. It's better than the old road, though, but the old road did have some charm. Have you ever been to Edisto Island? Great state park there - right on the beach.

Regards,

Bob
Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

sams gap , yea new road is the biggest road project ever for tenn, or n.c. , old road could be fun in right car, i recall as a young man , going with my dad in tractor-trailer over sams gap, now that was a ride i remember still to this day,was before they had a jake brake, that is when i learned why dad was anal about his brakes and being adjusted right, i do not know how many times he had me crawl in out till he said it was right.
someone else mentioned the same park to us, we are just killin time , we may ride over there and take a look, on the beach, that is for us,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Mkilmurry

Tybee Island is one of my favorite places. I've only been there one time but the area was beautiful.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
brulaz

In November on our way down to Florida, we usually stop at the Great Smoky Mountains N.P., then crawl up the pass in the park there and down to South Carolina, usually the Beaufort area and the State Park on Hunting Island near there.

A nice trip, and the fresh shrimp and BAR-B-Q in coastal S.C. keeps us moving.

We've seen Edisto, that's nice too but have only heard of the Georgia S.P.s on the coast. Maybe next year we'll try them. They'll be closer to Savannah which is another place we try to visit each year.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

there is a campground in hilton head which is not far from savannah
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Bob&Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
....usually the Beaufort area and the State Park on Hunting Island near there.
We've also stayed at Hunting Island outside of Beaufort - that one is very nice, also. Coming from NE Tennessee, Edisto is just a tad closer for us. We haven't been there in a few years - maybe time to think about going again....

Bob
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Karen View Post
We've also stayed at Hunting Island outside of Beaufort - that one is very nice, also. Coming from NE Tennessee, Edisto is just a tad closer for us. We haven't been there in a few years - maybe time to think about going again....

Bob
Been a long time for us, we still had a motorhome the last time we went to Edisto

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilmurry View Post
Tybee Island is one of my favorite places. I've only been there one time but the area was beautiful.
Skidaway Island State Park is absolutely beatiful. We always stay there when we go to Savannah.