TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
Timberline

Default Filling Fresh Water Tank

I live in Colorado and have a new Trailmanor 19/26 that I just love. It's ideal for the backcountry camping I do when hunting and fishing far from established campgrounds.

Typically, I head out with a filled water tank, but after four days or so that water supply has been used and I refill in the boonies with full water jugs I've brought along in my tow vehicle.

That refilling of the fresh water supply in the boonies has proven a bit of a problem, though. I've tried conventional funnels, but they aren't angled so that they work particularly well with the TrailManor's water tank fill spout. If two of us are camping, one can hold the funnel while the other pours. But when I'm alone, the juggling act with conventional funnel and heavy 10 gallon water jugs is difficult.

Does any commercial firm make an angled funnel designed specifically for filling RV water tanks in the boonies with water jugs? Or does anyone out there have any ideas on how to modifiy a specific funnel to work well for this purpose?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
BobRederick

Timberline
I learned on my Coleman that an automatic transmission funnel with the long hose to run down into the tank works wonders. The water goes down so fast it is hard to believe and that minimizes the time you have to hold the heavy water can. I have not done this with the TM yet but I see no reason for a difference. The item to be figured out is how to hang the funnel on the side of the TM so you can hold the water jug. I haven't worked that issue, but a second person can hold it pretty easily.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
pbuck1

No knowledge of a specialized funnel, but if you are even a little bit handy, try this:

Obtain the following :
2 pieces of wood about 3/4" x 2" and 8" long
2 cheap plastic spring clamps
1 conventional plastic funnel
2 ft. garden hose or other flexible plastic hose
1 hose clamp
wood screws and glue

-drill a circular hole (with a spade bit) towards the end of one piece of wood so that the narrow end of the funnel jams into it and holds tight with enough funnel sticking through to attach the hose.
- screw (and glue if possible) the two pieces of wood together to form an angle bracket. (the top piece of wood will be horizontal holding the funnel vertically, the other piece of wood will hang down vertically)
- Jam the narrow end of the funnel into the hole and attach the hose underneath to the funnel with the hose clamp. This should be done so the hose acts as a stop against the wood and helps prevent the funnel moving in the wood.
- using the two spring clamps, clamp the vertical part of the wooden bracket to the Trailmanor's upper shell vertical strut which is near the fresh water tank inlet.
- Poke the hose in the tank inlet and pour water in the funnel

It doesn't matter if the hose hangs below the tank water inlet as long as the neck of the funnel is above the level of the water inlet. The bit of of water left in the hose at the end can be transferred to the tank by lifting up the funnel when unclamping.

You could also use a small metal angle bracket to join the two pieces of wood together or to reinforce the joint.

Paul
Old 10-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I bought a kayak bilge pump (see, for example, www.rei.com and type 684985 into the Search box). The body drops right into the opening of my blue Wal Mart 7 gallon water carriers.

After I got the pump, I went to Home Depot and got a short length of clear vinyl hose of the right size to press onto the pump's outlet fitting. Now I don't have to mess with a funnel or lift the jugs. The jugs sit on the tailgate of my Explorer or on the ground beside the TM, I drop in the pump, and in short order all the water is transferred.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Cateye
Cateye

this is exactly how we perform this task and it works very well...
2003 2720SL
1999 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L V8
Quadradrive
Factory Towing Pkg.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Bruce

We use plastic 2 gallon watering cans with a curved spout. The end of the spout fits into the opening of the fill hole.
It is easy to carry the watering cans from the campground's water faucet to the TrailManor. The watering cans are light and store easily.
I also carry 50 ft. of hose in addition to the 15 ft. I use for when the site has utilities. Sometimes the extra length will allow me to get water from a faucet a few sites away.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

For a funnel holder, try this:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...3&skunum=19939
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I bought a kayak bilge pump (see, for example, www.rei.com and type 684985 into the Search box). The body drops right into the opening of my blue Wal Mart 7 gallon water carriers.
Bill
I ordered one of these from REI as soon as I read this post. For $18.00, dry camping just got a little easier!
Cheri
Old 02-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
jimair1548

Default Dry camping Water pump

This is a follow-up to the post on the kayak bailing pump that we use with the 5-7 gal water jugs, to fill the TM water tank. Attached is a pic of same. Hope this helps, and works for you as well as it does for us.....Jim
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
2bcs1jrt

That is the one I have, minus the float sleave. Works just fine
Cheri