TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
ggrant

Default Remove door knob?

i need to change the door knob on my trailmanor,and i dont know how to get the old one off.has anyone done this and if so please help me
ggrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

it is just like a house door knob, or it was on the ones i have changed, but it was on the older models.
are you trying to change the lock? or just the knob?
should be 2 screws on inside to take apart

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Camper One

The door locks are NOT simple house locks because the TM door is only 1.5 inches thick adn house door knobs are 2 3/8 plus thick.

I am also looking for direct replacement door knobs.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

They must not be very hard to find, because when we bought our TrailManor, the dealer had lost the keys and it was locked. They hadn't secured the front bed with the latches, so we slid it back and my son climbed in and unlocked the door. We spent part of the afternoon getting a cashiers check and finding a replacement door knob/lock from Fred Meyer. The first one we bought worked fine and it's still on there.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I changed the lockstep on my door going from the garage into the house with one of those cypher combination locks and the knob on that lockstep was the lever and not the round knob. I fell in love with the lever type knobs since it allows you to open the door with your arm or elbow. That comes in handy when your hands are full of tools or packages, or for that matter, a martini for me and a martini for DW.

My TrailManor was all but a month old before I switched out the factory lockset with a standard lever type lockset in brushed metal. I don't remember it being much of a problem with the door thickness. I do remember I had some work to do getting the latch (door catch?) extracted from the door in order to replace it with the type that came with my new lockset. It was really pressed in there.

The whole job was done in about an hour with only two cuss words.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper One View Post
The door locks are NOT simple house locks because the TM door is only 1.5 inches thick adn house door knobs are 2 3/8 plus thick.
Camper One,

I don't think that is right. The 2-3/8" is the backset they use. Backset is the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the hole that the lock goes through. The thickness of the door for a standard lockset can be from 1-3/8" to 1-3/4".

My TM uses a standard lockset and standard deadbolt. If yours is different I'd be very surprised.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Camper One

Perhaps the reason why I am having trouble is that I am trying to retain the original latch (the thing that slides left and right inside the door and slides into the door jam).

I want to retain the OEM latch because the factory did a very nice job at drilling and inserting the faceplate and striker plate into the metal door frame. If I used the striker and latch from the Kwikset and Schulage door knobs I would have to mill out the door and door jam. I would have trouble cutting out the material as I am on the road and living in my TM that I just bought and I dont have all of my tools with me.

See the picture of the mismatched parts. I was hoping that I could find a direct replacement set.

I tried to simply install the replacement knobs into the OEM latch however either the mounting holes were too wide to the point where they would not directly install or like on the Kwikset there was a square rod instead of the flat blade like on the OEM.

I found a kit at Walmart that is made by Brinks and it has two deadbolts and two keyed knobs that are all keyed alike. The knobs had the flat blade and the correct width holes that matched the OEM hole width however the screws were 1/2 inch too long. I will go down and buy a cutoff wheel and cut the screws down and install them sometime soon.

Ill wait until I get back home where I have my tools before I try to install the deadbolt in the upper door. Atleast now I will have matching keys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121117_225835.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	7983  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Camper One

I installed the Brinks model 2798-119 door knob kit today (purchased from Walmart) into the lower door.

The deadbolt had to get the flat metal blade cut down 1/8th inch and the the two screws needed to be cut down 1/8th inch as well but otherwise it was a direct replacement while retaining the original latch (the factory job of installing the latches was real nice I just wanted to retain them and just change the knobs).

The turn knob was a perfect match.

When I get home I will install the top door deadbolt since it will require some milling in the aluminum door frame to get it installed right.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
bullgator

My TM is not local to me, and trying to get the door locks re-keyed or replaced. Is the outdoor shower key completely different from the front door locks? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Yes, outside shower and compartment locks are smaller/different than the door lock. The lock and keys for those can be found at Home Depot or Lowes. Looks like there are a number of ways inside a closed TM (I sometime just raise the front module and climb in the hole) but is harder when opened and slides have internal locks made.