TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > TrailManor Pictures
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Factor

Default Colossal Mistake

I built a quanset hut to store my 24 foot Princecraft Sportfisher Pontoon and 3023 TM. Unfortunately, we had a foot of heavy snow and the building collapsed. I will re-build it stronger and better. Unknown extent of damage. 3023 survived as the side of the hut only touched the air conditioner. Not sure if any damage. The pontoon was higher and has damage, extent will be known in spring. I will have to partially dismantle the hut to get the vehicles out. In the meantime I jacked up the centre and put several 4 X 4 posts to hold it. Also removed the snow from the top of the hut. I am posting this for others to learn from my colossal mistake. Fortunately both vehicles are insured.
John

2003 Montana AWD
2004 3023
Old 12-29-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Factor

Default Colossal Mistake

Note the air conditioner unit. It is tipped a bit, but, maybe no damage. Nest time, I will submit smaller pictures.
John
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Larry_Loo

Question Commercial model or your own design?

John, was this a commercial model of a quonset hut that you purchased and then erected?

I'm sorry that you suffered a loss. It may, however, be some consolation to you that the snow didn't collapse the roof of your home - with your family inside of it. Trailers and boats are replaceable but people aren't.

Our winters in this part of Central California are snowless. One April, about 3 years ago though, we had a deluge of pea sized hailstones in a short period of time. The 5 to 6 inch layer of hailstones accumulating on one of our aluminum patio roofs collapsed it. It was fortunate that no one was under the roof at that time, and, our insurance paid for most of a new roof.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I never would have imagined that a quonset hut would collapse from snow. Our neighbors have an old one, and it looks like it would sustain just about any kind of rain, wind, snow, etc. It's a good thing that you have insurance. Looks like your TM is mostly OK, but sorry to hear about your boat (and the quonset hut!).
Old 12-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Factor

Default Colossal Mistake

Actually I erected it myself. It was a granary from Manitoba that was taken apart and resold. I put it on a 4' treated lumber pony wall. Obviously it didn't have enough support. It was 11'6" high at the centre. The unit was 30' long and 19'6" wide. The top consisted of several 10' long X 2 1/2' pieces. It took 650 bolts and nuts to put it together. My 8' pontoon and camper fit nicely with room to walk between them. I was going to finish it off in the spring. I guess I'm still going to finish it off in the spring.
John
2003 Montana AWD
2004 3023
Old 12-31-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
armistjb

Unhappy Sorry to hear .....

John:

Sorry to read about your misfortune, especially considering the work you put into it, and with those great recreational vehicles inside.

Hopefully 2005 will better.

John
Old 02-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Factor

Red face Colossal Mistake

I spent the last three days removing the pontoon and camper from the collapsed quonset hut. Even though the air conditioning unit was tipped about 1/2", once I raised it off the camper, it went back to its position. Doesn't seems to be any damage to the camper. Have to wait and see. Unfortunately the Pontoon Boat, which was much high than the camper because it was on the bunk trailer, didn't fare so well. Lots of damage, in excess of $5,000.00. It will be taken for repairs early in March so as to have it back for the season.
John, Atikokan, Ontario

2004 3023 TM
2003 Montana AWD
Old 02-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

John -

Good news on the TM, at least.

As I recall, the air conditioner unit sits on some sort of kinda-flexible sealing material inside the mounting frame. If you get a chance, you might want to lift the A/C a couple inches - just enough so you can peek inside the frame and see if the seal has properly rebounded where it was squashed down for so long. Or alternatively just run a garden hose on it to approximate a heavy rain - and make sure it doesn't leak. If there should be a problem, you'd rather discover it in your yard than in a campsite miles from home.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
Factor

Default Collosal Mistake

Removed the Pontoon and TM - Doesn't seem to be any damage to TM, but, Pontoon Boat took the brunt, $11,400 damage. Insurance $1,000 deductible.
John
Atikokan, Ontario (the Canoeing Capital of Canada)
2003 Montana AWD
2004 3023 TM
Old 03-21-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
Windbreaker

Try this, the $1K is deductable from the structure but I'm sure you have the contents of the structure insured also up to some limit. Now add on what was offered under the policy on the boat. Bet you make out ok.