TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
toeb

Question DirecTV or Dish Network?

I'm considering adding a satelite dish (remote portable). Of those of you with satellite dish, which one of the suppliers are you with and how is the service? I read both sites on the internet and found both sites ask you to sign a special request form stating that the dish is 'permanantly attached'. I don't want to attach it to my TM, I want to set it up on a tripod and locate it. How did you guys get around that one?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

They all have an RV package. I was looking at it the other day, (darned if I can find it now), and it didn't look too bad. But check, for example,

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...ck/index.shtml

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We have Dish Network, we like it a lot. I think the service is excellent. We haven't made the step to take a dish with us when we're camping, though. I am reluctant to make this step because it just doesn't seem like "camping" to me (plus we don't spend that much time in the TM).

Also, I aimed the first dish we put in and it was a real pain. I know there are better tools than the "installation kit" I used to aim our first dish (1" diameter compass) but I don't want any other things to set up when we're camping. Now, if we had one of those automatic satellite finder thingeys, I might change my mind.

I also know people who have Direct TV and they love their service.

I'd check out the programming packages/equipment investment costs with both services and see which one best fits your tastes and budget. When we got DN, it was cheaper than DTV, but haven't compared in a while.

I think that RV/Truck service agreement for Dish Network where you state that you permanently attach the dish to your RV or Truck has to do with getting the basic network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX), apparently an FCC regulation thing. We couldn't get those feeds here at our house until we got waivers from the local networks (this was before DN provided the local channels in our area). We are down in a valley here, and the reception from the local channels is awful.

I believe that Dish Network and the other provider just want your subscription dollars. I don't think they care if you take your dish from your RV and move it around the campground in order to get a signal.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

The difference between a "home" hookup and an "RV" hookup is that the home hookup has to be connected to a phone line. In other words, the set-top box phones home occasionally, for some purpose. An "RV" setup can't phone home, so they make you pay about $5 extra per month for the privilege of not phoning. Lord knows why.

Bill
Old 10-18-2004, 07:46 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The difference between a "home" hookup and an "RV" hookup is that the home hookup has to be connected to a phone line. In other words, the set-top box phones home occasionally, for some purpose. An "RV" setup can't phone home, so they make you pay about $5 extra per month for the privilege of not phoning. Lord knows why.Bill
Ah, here's a link that will tell you at least something (though far from everything).

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/DNS_Vehicles.dsp

Bill
Old 10-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Dish - Portable

I have Dish Network, and I take it with me!

Never have had, nor need, a telephone hook-up. If one wishes to order on-demand movies or events, or pay your Dish bill via satellite, then a phone is needed.

I bought a discount Dish, tripod and Satellite Tuner for about $100 or so. I take the Dish master receiver box from the house when we travel. At destination, I input the Zip code into the setup menu, and the azimuth and elevation are displayed. Plug a 50' coax into the reciever and antenna. The el/az values from the rcvr box are set coarsely using a simple compass to align azimuth and using marked elevation angles on the dish to set the angle. The tripod stand is leveled using a 2D bubble leveler.

The critical part is the Satellite Tuner. It employs an audible signal plus a meter to properly aim the antenna precisely for the stongest signal. I align azimuth first(max possible sig) then elevation. Works so well that I've not yet missed achieving a strong reliable signal - even when shooting thru trees which obscured up to 1/2 of the sky in the aiming direction.

I run the coax in thru the flap next to the Winegard TV antenna connector, abeam the reefer, then directly to the Dish receiver. Works great. Wouldn't want to be without C-Spam whilst on the road!

NB: this has not been a paid advertisement for Dish TV, nor is it in support of any candidate for any office. I approve of this message.

Denny_A
Old 10-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
paul street

Default Fyi

Tieb: For what it's worth, I suggest DISH. Can't relate to the RV issue with either one; but can relate to home service ... which, with what the other responders have addressed, may have a small deviation or 2.

We just had a system put in a couple of weeks ago. In going to my local outlet, asked a 'hundred' questions to the owner... since I know little about them.

He informs me, and he by the way sells both, that Direct TV is involved in a big dispute with ... believe he said Murdock ... over the outstanding "contracts" ... and that there is a big 'bru-ha-ha' brewing on the horizon.

According to him, when Murdock purchased the company, he decided to not continue honoring those contacts. The courts are involved in it at the moment. In any case, since the cost was essentially the same, along with the package we wanted, decided to not take a chance and went with DISH.

To date, have been very pleased.

Paul

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeb
I'm considering adding a satelite dish (remote portable). Of those of you with satellite dish, which one of the suppliers are you with and how is the service? I read both sites on the internet and found both sites ask you to sign a special request form stating that the dish is 'permanantly attached'. I don't want to attach it to my TM, I want to set it up on a tripod and locate it. How did you guys get around that one?