TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
MissingTheNW2001

Smile Trailer Secure Locking Options

Hi Everyone:

New to the TM family and I have several questions:

Wondering what folks who store their units outside use to secure them? I'm considering storing my unit at an storage building center which also offers outside RV storage. (there are no inside units availalbe close by at ths time). Eventually my plan is to have enough garage storage at home to accomodate my TM.

The lot is secured by a fence and other RV's and boats are stored there. Management tells me they have never had an issue, but then again I don't want to be the first. While the lot has secutrity on site, its not fool proof and anyone with the code can gain access to the lot and could potentially steal the trailer.

Just wondering what folks in a similar situation use for securing the trailer. Saw a device called the 2" Gorilla guard coupler" and wondering if that's a good option??

Also, what do folks use to secure the hitch to the receiver (locking dead bolt??)

Finally, I've read the threads on the covers and I will be taking the advice and purchasing one.

Thanks,

Jeff[/FONT]
Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
PopBeavers

I keep my TM in the garage, but if I wanted to prevent someone from driving off with it it sure would be tempting to remove the entire swing away tongue.

In camp I never worry about someone stealing the TM.

As for the hitch itself, I take it out when it is not in use, including in camp. If it were to be stolen it would be annoying to find another at the last minute so I could go home. However, it would be a fun excuse to tell the boss.

I never leave my McKesh towing mirrors on at camp either. Mainly because I keep running into them.

Having said all that, guess where I store the hitch (actually it is only a tow bar with tow ball) and the mirrors? On the ground under the TM. In two years they have not been stolen from camp yet.

I sometimes think about storing the mirrors and tow bar in the rear compartment, but then I think I will probably close down the TM and forget them. So then I would need to pop it open to get them out.

What check list?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We have a locking hitch pin and a gorilla lock. We also lock the hitch to the coupler with a long-shanked lock when we travel. Camping World or a well stocked RV parts store should have these.

We have too many keys.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default deterrent

http://www.trailerlock.com/
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Trailer Security

We have a 2619 with the swing-away hitch. As Pop Beavers mentioned, for long term storage, I pull the two pins and remove the hitch entireley. It only takes a few minutes and would make it quite a bit more difficult for someone to steal the trailer. I also use small padlocks to lock the hold down devices at each shell corner - not a great deterrent, but prevents the casual passer by from trying to pop open the shells (if they could figure it out the method in the first place). I also use a padlock with a coated steel cable to secure the propane tanks to the frame.

I guess if the bad guys want a trailer bad enough, and had enough time, they'd figure out a way to take what they want. I do whatever I can to make if more difficult though!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
Freedom

We use this lock on the coupler: http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=CL
We use these locking pins on the coupler and draw-bar: http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=CL
In a campground we put the mirrors, spring-bars and draw-bar on the back bumper of the TM and have never had a problem. I leave the locking pins in place when we're not hooked up, so if somebody really wanted the draw-bar they would have to remove the locking pin - probably not a big deal, but maybe a deterrent.

p.s. We got the locks at Wal-Mart for a lot less than the site above asks for them.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
We use this lock on the coupler: http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=CL
We use these locking pins on the coupler and draw-bar: http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=CL
In a campground we put the mirrors, spring-bars and draw-bar on the back bumper of the TM and have never had a problem. I leave the locking pins in place when we're not hooked up, so if somebody really wanted the draw-bar they would have to remove the locking pin - probably not a big deal, but maybe a deterrent.

p.s. We got the locks at Wal-Mart for a lot less than the site above asks for them.

I like that lock!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Freedom

As somebody (Bill I think) said on a different thread - Coupler locks give a false sense of security. I'm sure the Master lock would yield to a couple of well placed hits with a sledge hammer, but thieves don't like loud noises. There's no doubt that the locks are not infallible, but I think they're better than nothing. I've got them so I'll continue to use them. Besides -I've always heard that locks only keep out the honest people!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
lnussbau

We use this lock on our coupler: http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower.../dp/B0008FUH46
Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Harry Womack

Default Master locks

Don't waste your money on the Master tongue lock. When my boat was stolen, they used a cordless drill on the piece that rotates to block the wrench hole. It is made of zinc.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote