TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Seleya

Talking First time out in two years!

Hi All!

Well, we're back from our first time out of the driveway in two years!

We went down to Georgia for dog shows -- two people and 7 dogs. Rte. 95 - the Tappan Zee - 78 - 81 - 77 - 85. Had awful winds and rain on the way down -- blew the van around a bit but the trailer held steady.

We had a great time! It's amazing how much I missed using my TM and how easily we fell back into it. We stayed at the Georgia State Fairgrounds in Perry -- full hook-ups and the entire show was on site which was great. The weather was awesome for this winter weary New Englander tho we did have a bit of thunder/lightning etc and were ~then~ told about tornado season. LOL!

I was a bit worried about the tires -- the trailer guy said they were good for another year, but they *had* sat for two years. I checked them every time we stopped and they were fine throughout. Another worry was the short I had just had fixed. The previous time it had been fixed (which is why it hasn't been used for so long; we kept losing all the running lights), the fuse blew in my driveway and again an hour out. We carried spare fuses again, but the fuse behaved for the entire trip!

I still need to have the oven fixed, but the stove, crock pot, grill and toaster oven sufficed. I may try to fire it up one more time before bringing it in for repairs since the roads we travelled were pretty bumpy. Maybe it rattled down whatever the spiders or rodentia left behind. The pilot works, just not the warming jets.

In other damage fronts (LOL), the antenna crank came off in my hand and one of the corner clips was gone when we pulled back into my driveway. I made the (one-time) mistake of having my friend do the walk around and she missed an adaptor on the outside plug so, when we raised the shell, the outside plugs' cover was torn off. Lesson learned. And I saw that she had unplugged the electric cooler we had plugged into that....

I know it sounds like a lot of bad, but it was actually very good. We had a great time and the trailer was a good trailer. We're off to Gettysburg in less than a month for another show -- staying in Drummer Boy park this time as the rv fees for this show (no hookups at all) is $50/night w/ a 5 night minimum.

~On the road again~!
Vicky
Old 04-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
Walt Spangler

hello Vicky, I was astonished at the fee for no hookups at Drummer Boy cg.
Must be additional for all the dogs. Have you looked at the cost for other campgrounds in the area?
if interested, some others...Artillary Ridge Camping Resort 717-334-1288; Granite Hill campground 800-642-8368; Gettysburg Battlefield KOA 800-562-1869; Roundtop Campground 717-334-9565; Gettysburg Campground 717-334-3304.
Hopefully, I have not"interfered" with your plans
As you can see from my town {York], I live 30 miles from G-burg.
regards, Walt
PS. I have not stayed in any of the above, so do not know what amenities they have. Friends do "swear by" Granite Hill.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Seleya

No, that was the fee to stay at the dog show site -- the Allstars Event Complex. There were no hookups included, a 5 day minimum and a honey pot and water truck would come through once some time during the week for an added fee.

Drummer Boy has a very reasonable week fee with full hook-ups and, while the woman on the phone was a bit surprised at the number of dogs, they are welcome so long as we keep them all on leash. It helps that they are show dogs and we will be bringing them all with us to the show all day each day and otherwise are used to keeping them under control. As usual, we requested a site which appears to be a bit off by itself just as a precaution.

We looked at a couple of other campgrounds and Drummer Boy had good rates and were dog friendly. I think Artillery Ridge was the one which was very horse friendly but didn't come across as dog friendly at all. Others in the running were the KOA and a couple others. We used Woodalls.com to find some place to stay.

Thanks for those suggestions tho!

Vicky