TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Dplaisancs

Default Rear receiver hitch

Bought mine and it has rear receiver installed by uhaul can the trailer handle towing a boat behind it. It’s a center console boat weights about 1700 lbs. Not worried about weather my truck could handle it and I have towed doubles and triples before over the road driving 18 wheelers. My tow rig is a 2008 2500 dodge with Cummins so it’s Harvey enough and it is actually legal to do so. In most states
Dplaisancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

If you've towed doubles and triples before, you will no doubt have already determined if the hitch is mounted to the bumper or frame. Assuming that, I believe all rear receivers have been installed aftermarket, usually for a bike rack. I would probably take the trailer to a professional hitch installer and ask my question there.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
kempert
Site Sponsor

As I recall from my visit to the TM manufacturing plant in SD about a year ago, just about every TM being built (or already completed) had a rear receiver. I believe they were for bike racks.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

My 2001 2720 does not have a rear receiver. That may be true for the new ones from S D.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I get the feeling that you have already decided to do it, but are just hoping someone will say "You're all good". With that in mind, let me note a few things. I agree that your truck is not an issue. Everything behind it is.

I don't know about "most states allow it". At least one internet sites says that 13 states allow it. Another says that 28 states either allow it or don't forbid it, but quickly go on to say that these states have different limitations on the rig, and requirements on the driver. And these requirements are not necessarily the same as those on commercial 18-wheel triple rigs. It is up to you to be familiar with the laws in each state that you pass through, of course. You should probably check your insurance policy as well.

Your boat weighs about 1700 pounds. Does that include the weight of the trailer? Fuel? Toys? The hitch weight of the boat trailer could be well north of 300 pounds. When you put that weight on the rear of the TM, it reduces the TM's hitch weight on your truck, making the TM lighter in front than was intended by the TM designers. Of course this will create a tendency for the TM to sway. TMs by themselves don't sway, and of course the commercial big-rig triples you are familiar with don't sway. Will your proposed rig sway? I don't know, but I don't want to be around if it does.

If U-Haul installed the hitch, I'm pretty sure it means you don't have a South Dakota TM. Previous TMs (Tennessee and Nebraska) offered an optional rear hitch receiver for a bike rack, but it was strictly limited to 100 pounds of total weight. I don't know if that was a weight-and-balance issue, or a strength issue. As others have indicated, you must know not only how U-Haul attached the hitch to the TM frame (which they can tell you), but how much strength the TM frame has, including things like its own hitch coupler (which U-Haul can not tell you). By the way, does your TM have a swing hitch?

My South Dakota TM has a factory-installed 2-inch rear hitch receiver. The receiver is welded to a 2-1/2 inch square steel tube. The ends of the tube are welded to steel plates which are bolted to the TM's left and right frame members. Right beside the receiver is a sticker saying "WARNING - NOT SAFE FOR TOWING". It this sounds like your U-Haul hitch - and I bet it does, it is quite a common arrangement - you might want to call the TM factory and ask for some details.

Finally, I'm thinking that in a situation such as you describe, you will probably be taking a lot of "stuff" with you. BBQ grills, tents, outdoor rugs, water toys of all kinds, coolers, food and drinks for several people. As long as you carry all this in your truck, that's OK. But if you carry it in the TM, in addition to the hitch weight of the boat, you can quickly exceed the max allowable weight of the TM running gear - tires, axle, etc.

One of our long-time Forum members, Mike Laupp, had a bad experience when a dealer tried to tow two TMs behind his truck as a triple. The whole rig apparently began to sway and went off the road, destroying Mike's TM. You can use the Forum Search tool to find his story and get some details if you like.

I'm not an expert but I am a skeptic. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We have the factory hitch installed by Trailmanor TN. Which was an option. It is very well made, if it was run between the two rails on a truck it would be at least a class III. at 400/4,000 lbs at the minimum.

But trailmanor has a limit on the hitch of like 150 lbs and they call it a bike rack hitch. I don't think it has any thing to do with the hitch or the trail manor frame rails, but with the weight and balance. I would not try to pull a boat.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I was curious about Mike Laupp's experience, but haven't found it yet in a search. However, I did find this:
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ead.php?t=1959

There was a discussion about tongue weight, and the boat/trailer he was towing was significantly lighter than what you are planning (800 lbs vs 1700 lbs). It seems that no matter what receiver is on your Trailmanor now, it is definitely not safe for towing (see post #17). Also, big concerns about the maximum weight for tires and axles of the Trailmanor.

And I'm sure you are aware that towing triple with short trailers is a whole new kettle of fish compared to towing triple with big rigs. I was just chatting with a truck driver who hates towing shorter trailers. Longer ones are much easier to manage. But, I'm sure you are aware of that already.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
Shane826
TrailManor Master

How did I miss that Bill bought a 2020 TM?!? Good for you, Bill...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Here's Mike Laupp's experience (not his faultl):
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...read.php?t=108

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
How did I miss that Bill bought a 2020 TM?!? Good for you, Bill...
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=20095

He's being shy.....

Details... we want details.....

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD