TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
ChefLamont

Default Question on Dimensions

Hey all,

I am just beginning the shopping journey for a camper. While growing up with campers all my life in the family, this will be the first I will own myself. After some research, I really think a TM camper is where I want to be and will suit my needs and family best. I am getting ready both financially and logistically and will hopefully be ready to buy within the next year. I dont think I am going to be able to swing a new one right out of the gate, but will likely be getting a nice "pre-camped-in" model.

Part of my preparation is I am having some landscaping done in my yard, and as part of that I am thinking about prepping an area in my side yard to store the camper. However, my side yard is quite sloped (think 3.5 - 4 foot drop over about 20 feet of length). So I am thinking about building a retaining wall and back filling with dirt. Since the cost goes up with every foot of wall built and yard of back fill needed, I am thinking about building it so the back bumper hangs over the wall.

This leads me to the dimension question. I haven't been able to find anywhere the distance from the tongue to the axle. This (plus a little extra for wiggle room) would be the length to the wall rather than the full length. Are those specs out there or is there a rule of thumb to estimate it? All I can find is the overall length of tongue to bumper.

The other part of my thinking through the design is covering. I will likely use a heavy duty tarp to start, but I have been wondering if anyone else uses the steel or PVC DIY carport kits to cover their rigs.

Thanks in advance. I am a part of many "hobby" sites and this one is really outstanding and packed full of good knowledge and good people.
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Lemont, my first comment would be to not put the retaining wall at the back bumper of the TM, as the TM opens by pulling on the rear shell. Thus, you need standing room behind the bumper. The shell extends about 3' from the bumper, so 3' is the minimum I would suggest. 5' is better, so you have a little room to stand behind the shell to push it closed. I pull mine from underneath if I don't have room to push from behind, and that also works fine. You just need room to stand behind the bumper to open the shell.

What size model are you looking at? Used go from a 19' "mini" up to a 33' model. Big difference in distance from the tongue to the axle.

Welcome to the forum, and ask whatever you need. Don't forget to search for some answers, as you may find others have already asked. (I don't recall a situation like yours before, so I am not suggesting you may have found the answer to this question with a search.)
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Additional consideration is that you will want to put the back jacks down. How much of a drop will it be at the back of the retaining wall? You will have to have the jacks on the retaining wall portion. Depending on how much it drops off, and how tall you are, it might be doable to open and close from below.

I just went outside to test it out, and I would say it could work as long it doesn't drop off more than two feet. BTW I am 5'10"

Love To Camp is right in allowing an extra couple feet for standing behind it to open if you decide to keep on one level.

Another consideration is future planning. What if you start with a smaller TM and then you upgrade later? Will you kick yourself for not having made it a couple feet longer?

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

My 2720 sits on a 10'x25' pad. This allows room to (un)hitch with the TV rear axle on the pad and to open fully when a guest room is needed.

Just be aware that a few things behind the axle (jacks, dump pipes) hang down a bit and do not want to tear off on a wall.

Had a thought: build so the rear jacks rest on the wall and a small deck (4'x4') behind the wall to raise/lower/access to rear bumper & compartment.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
ChefLamont

Ah. These are all good considerations. I didnt think about the stabilizers or setting it up over there. I guess I thought about just storing it over there and moving it to the driveway to open for preparing or returning from a trip. However, I now see that would be a monumental pain and I need to be able to (easily) open and close it in place.

I currently have a Toyota Highlander, and have been thinking towards a 2720. I like the 2922, but they are still too new and will likely be out of my price range. I like the 3124, but that is starting to get on the big side and would be getting close to the Highlander's 5000# towing capacity fully loaded. I dont know, the specifics of shopping are still a ways off. I am just generally shopping and getting educated right now on the models and what was offered when kind of thing.

I like the deck beyond the wall idea. I will have to give that more thought.

I will likely just go further back and build a bigger wall. It is better to not cheap out in the beginning than to always wish you had done things differently. That just kicks it into a new level of complexity and cost.

Thanks,
-Steve

(ChefLamont is my backpacking trail name - long story )
Old 08-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

FWIW my 2720SL measures 243" (20'3") overall closed (to end of hitch not swung). The rear jack is at 219" (18'3") and the centerline of the rear axle is at 164" (13'8"). Add 1/2 the tire diameter for the rear of the tire.

My modules open 42" at each end.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
oldstick
TrailManor Master

But depending on the size of your lot, be sure to anticipate the unanticipated. The reason I say this is when we bought our 2023 a year ago we knew it wasn't going to fit in the garage plus we had more valuable vehicles in there already. In addition, our driveway access is very difficult for a 23 foot trailer due to a sharp curve and trees blocking the way. But fortunately we had a very cooperative neighbor with a driveway 3 feet from ours who didn't mind us using that for a straight shot to our yard. Then we had to veer a few feet onto his back property to avoid some other trees in order to get to the camper parking area in our back yard.

So with this difficulty we were already anticipating the need to put it in a local storage facility at some point. But we kept it parked the past year doing cleaning and repairs and such.

But fast forward, the above neighbors decided to sell and move to a retirement home a month or so ago and the new neighbors (very friendly people) immediately put up a fence on the property line within a week of moving in.

Now we have only one narrow path to get the trailer out from our yard and we have to do it soon without destroying some landscaping shrubs recently planted. So suddenly there is no choice for us but to move the camper to storage.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #8
ChefLamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
FWIW my 2720SL measures 243" (20'3") overall closed (to end of hitch not swung). The rear jack is at 219" (18'3") and the centerline of the rear axle is at 164" (13'8"). Add 1/2 the tire diameter for the rear of the tire.

My modules open 42" at each end.

Thanks Padgett, that is very helpful. I am actually working with a landscape architect on other areas in my back yard (the other reason this is on the brain right now and I figure more economical to work on all at once rather than a completely separate effort), so I will see what he thinks about the wall. I went out and looked at it more yesterday, and to really get the space I would need to open it in place, I think the wall will be about 6 feet tall. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
But depending on the size of your lot, be sure to anticipate the unanticipated. ......

LOL So, you have seen me back a trailer.

I have also thought about just paying for storage. Being on the north side of metro Atlanta, I think the rates are pretty steep. Probably worth looking into though.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

It is handy having mine in the back yard, can try things out or just open as a guest room as needed
Old 08-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

If you can keep it in your yard, I would highly recommend that option. Storage isn't cheap, but neither is landscaping.

The massive benefit of having it in your yard is anytime access. I get into mine often to do mods, re-stock supplies, take pictures, etc. Getting it ready for a trip with it being exactly where I store it makes it very simple to stock it for a few days, start the fridge on 120v, and check tire pressure and propane levels. I stored our popup off-site (previous house), and it took time to go get it, and take it back. PIA.

My vote is for building a pad.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote