TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
grakin

Default Splitting Converter onto own circuit

I have the WFCO WF-8955 converter in my 2007 TM.

I like being double sure that I shut off the hot water heater's electric element - so I wanted to put in a dedicated breaker for the converter, so I could switch the water heater (and fridge) off without turning off the converter, too (which I *don't* want off most of the time).

Very simple process - took me about 5 minutes to do. The converter has a pin that goes into the breaker, and splits off two ways - one way goes to the converter, the other goes to a wire nut that connects that wire to the fridge and hot water heater. You just have to undo the wire nut, chop the split off the converter wire, and wire in a new breaker. I kept the water heater and fridge on a 20 amp breaker, and put the converter on a 15 amp breaker.

While I was in there, I decided to replace the twin breaker (for the A/C on one part of the twin, the fridge & water heater on the other) with two seperate breakers - I'm not a fan of twin breakers in general, especially in a location that can get very hot (that will cause the breakers to trip more often than they should).

Since I couldn't locate a quick source of the Cutler Hammer BR-style breakers that my TM came with, I installed Square D HOM breakers instead. The instructions for the converter say that you can use either brand (and some others). Cutler Hammer makes decent breakers, but I like everything to be the same kind of breaker, so I replaced everything while I was in there.