TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
fstmarik

Default Air Conditioner 2004 2619

Our AC stopped cooling this weekend. Camping world just told me that most of the time they end up having to replace the whole ac unit which sounds like total bs to me. It should be a matter of charging the system with freon if the compressor/blower still kick on right?
fstmarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstmarik View Post
Our AC stopped cooling this weekend. Camping world just told me that most of the time they end up having to replace the whole ac unit which sounds like total bs to me. It should be a matter of charging the system with freon if the compressor/blower still kick on right?
Not necasarily.....

In most cases, it's something simple like the compressor "Run Capacitor" or in some cases the thermostat. If it is a "Low Freon" problem (which is rare), it may be advantageous to replace the entire unit (Unless you know someone in the refrigeration business).

Do a "Search" for run capacitor in here and you will find a recent thread or 2 that discuss this in some detail. Here's one that comes to mind:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ight=capacitor
Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
skrusins

My coils freeze up on humid days. Pull inside cover off and turn it on Hi Fan,
if you notice a little water spraying that could be problem. On humid days
I always keep mine on Hi Cool, and adjust the thermostat for comfort.
Hope this helps
Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstmarik View Post
It depends on how much service the unit needs.

If you notice the coils freezing before the unit failed, that is an indication of freon leak.

If the compressor just failed, that could be a number of things including the capacitor. If the compressor is toast, it is probably a pretty good idea to replace the unit.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
It depends on how much service the unit needs.

If you notice the coils freezing before the unit failed, that is an indication of freon leak.

If the compressor just failed, that could be a number of things including the capacitor. If the compressor is toast, it is probably a pretty good idea to replace the unit.
Just wanted to comment on "Freon leak". To most, that may sound like a minor issue.

With a sealed unit like RV AC units, it's not so minor.

In most of these units, there is no access ports to the pressurized freon lines (which is criminal IMO). In order to even determine IF there is a low freon level, a freon line may need to be cut in two (releasing all of the freon) and an access port must be installed at that point. The unit can then be pressurized and tested for a freon leak. If/when a leak is found, the leak MAY be able to be repaired (it may not be able to be repaired also). If a repair is made, the system must be evacuated, vacuumed down then refilled with freon and tested again.

All of this is very time consuming and labor intensive. That's why it is often suggested to just replace the entire unit. However, there are several things that could be tested and easily repaired if it is not a low freon problem (which would be rare in a 2004 unit IMO).