TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2002, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Plant Visit

Dianne and I visited the TM plant today.  The plant is not all that big - maybe 150 yards long and 200 feet wide. It's basically one big building under which an awful lot is going on. Greg, our guide, walked us through the entire operation. We got to see about 8 trailers in every stage of construction from floor forming to the final quality control inspection. As Greg told us they are turning out about 8 trailers a week, and are behind dealer demand so it's a busy place.
 My overall impression was that this was one busy, but not very well organized place. Definitely not the paragon of cleanliness, but that is more than offset by the ingenuity that has been used to put production techniques in place. The vacuum forming operation that attaches the aluminum skins to the foam cores for the trailer walls etc. was especially interesting. It was also nice to be able to see how all the systems tie together before being covered up by structure. The torsion bar system that essentially operates the "pop up" portion of the trailer is so simple it's ridiculous. Greg told us there has never been a failure with the lift system and I have to believe him given the simplicity of the system. Happy to tell you there were no Carlisle tires in sight. Every unit had Goodyears aboard.
 Can't think of much else except the people were friendly and answered every question I had. In most cases they were also able to do a "show and tell" right on the production line which really helps with understanding.  I'd recommend the tour to anyone. Just motor up I-75 above Knoxville to exit 129 (abt 25 miles ), make a right off the exit and look for the sign within a couple of hundred feet. Piece of cake !  If any of you have questions I will try to answer them.
                                                         Al 8)
Old 10-08-2002, 01:19 PM   #2
KB7OUR

Default Re: Plant Visit

Al, I don't suppose you have any pics you can post here?

Wade
Old 10-08-2002, 03:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the e-tour of the plant.  Enjoyed it.

Trailmanners

Old 10-11-2002, 06:14 PM   #4

One of those you looked at was mine!  Glad to hear it will arrive next week with Goodyears!  Thanks for the information.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:20 PM   #5

Wade
Sorry but no pics. I don't own a digital cam. Do believe I saw your new trailer though. It was the only 3023 anywhere near completion. You're gonna love it !!
Old 10-13-2002, 01:49 PM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Your info regarding your plant visit to Lake City was quite informative. I sent you an e-mail regarding more info. I am new at this, so I hope you received my message ok!!!  BOB STRONG  
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:19 PM   #7
tipper

I visited the plant earlier this year with Greg as a tour guide.  Greg is their quality engineer.

As I work in automotive I have had experience in a number of various manufacturing plants.  I found the TM plant to be quite tidy in view of the low volume nature of their production.  When one is making 2 parts per day in each operation, there is going to be quite a bit of work in progress laying around.

It hurts to see that plant run at one shift -- even with their minimal capital investment the new facility itself begs for 2 shift operation to minimize the overhead burden.  AND they could decorate the lobby just a bit -- it's like they just forgot about it -- a few pictures, TM history, etc.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:18 PM   #8

I also recently visited the TM plant. I was given permission by Michael Hulsey to film the manufacturing process. I miked up Greg Jernigan and he gave me a personal tour from frame to finished product. Greg did a great job and I really appreciate the time that he spent and his willingness to do it. Once I complete the editing of this footage and have the approval from the owners, (a promise I made to Carol Hulsey) I hope to be able to share it with others who may be interested.  
Old 10-23-2002, 01:34 AM   #9
arknoah

Videoguy,

That's one video I'd love to see!
Old 10-23-2002, 03:11 AM   #10
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Me too! Being on the left coast, we don't get to see stuff like that often, as it's not  without a month long commitment.

Waiting patiently....
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote