TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #31
ED-n-KEL

My 2 cents..
Using the towratings from the TM site, the suggested vehicles work out at:

Highlander = 3500 lbs MAX and this requires the HD towing package.
Definitely not my choice. IMHO, this would be under-rated even for mild trips. The potential for mechanical overloads, extreme wear and breakdown, and potential repair cost would far out way the extra cost of the 4 Runner in the long run. I won't even bring up the "peace of mind factor".

4 Runner - v6 = 5000 lbs with HD towing package
4 Runner - v8 = 7000-7300lbs with HD towing package
Probably your best choice. Using your head, the v6 would probably work out ok. While this particular chart gives the same 5000# rating for both 2 and 4 wheel drive, you may want to keep in mind that by basic mechanical physics, 4x4 will drain power. (The reason 4x4 usually lowers your TC). I would be cautious about going with the v6 AND 4x4.
The v8 would give you plenty of service/safety factor, and peace of mind.
The 2 wheel drive gives you slightly more TC (and probably better gas mileage), but I think the 4x4 "grip" would probably be a better choice, even with the slight loss of TC, if your main area of camping will be the mountains. The 200 lbs of extra tow capacity means nothing when your trying to pull the TM out of a tricky spot and only one tire is driving.

Full size PUs can range anywhere from 7500-12,000 depending on model and equipment. As suggested, this would give you a great service/safety factor, but at a cost in daily gas mileage.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #32
teamgentile

My TV is a 2005 4WD Pathfinder (tow rating of 6000 lbs).
Towing my 2008 2720 through the mtns of NM and CO gets me only 14.5 mpg.
Of course, in town, I only get 18 mpg and on the hwy I may get 21.
Not a fuel efficient vehicle, but it rides and tows nice (for a V6) and has been holding up well.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 AM   #33
HappyWDWCampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post

Definitely not my choice. IMHO, this would be under-rated even for mild trips. The potential for mechanical overloads, extreme wear and breakdown, and potential repair cost would far out way the extra cost of the 4 Runner in the long run. I won't even bring up the "peace of mind factor".
This is true for models prior to 2008... but 2008 and later HL are 5000# towing when you get the towing package (with the exception of the Hybrid, which never exceeds 3500)...

Plus I am confused. TM themselves say you can tow a 2720 with a 3500# tow rating. They even use a honda odyssey as an example! They say you can tow a 3023 with a 3500# tow limit. I can't imagine the manufacturer recommending something hazardous. Now granted -- you're not left with much more than 500-600 for cargo once you've added options to the dry weight, but if you plan carefully, you can make it work.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #34
Philip

Default I Really Appreciate Your Information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenngeri2720 View Post
Phil,
I have a 2007 4runner with the V6 and I pulled my 2009 2720 and now my Elkmont all over Colorado with no trouble at all. I had a 2006 Highlander that I pulled my popup with and that was fine for the size and weight of that trailer. The big difference between the 4runner and the Highlander is the durability of the 4runner which is on a frame, the highlander has no frame. I would think that the drive train in the 4runner is much more durable. One other thing that you may want to consider is the 4runner V8 is all wheel drive all the time and the V6 has a transfer case for 2x4 or 4x4 if needed that was the way it was it 2007.
Thank you for your reply.

It sounds as if you no longer have the 2009 2720 TM. Any idea as to roughly how many miles you towed the TM with the V6 4runner? Any idea of MPG you got while towing and without towing with the 4Runner? What year 4Runner do you have?

Not trying to plague you with questions, questions but I am at the point where I am trying to make the decision between a V6 with a relatively high TC(5000lb or more) and a V8 which I am sure will do the job but get a fair less MPG when not towing about town. This is important to me as I am only going to have one vehicle.

Again, thank you and everyone for all the help,

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #35
Philip

Default Great Information - Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgentile View Post
My TV is a 2005 4WD Pathfinder (tow rating of 6000 lbs).
Towing my 2008 2720 through the mtns of NM and CO gets me only 14.5 mpg.
Of course, in town, I only get 18 mpg and on the hwy I may get 21.
Not a fuel efficient vehicle, but it rides and tows nice (for a V6) and has been holding up well.
Roughly how many miles have you towed your TM and how do you like the TM. I gather most of your travel is through and about the Rocky mountains. I just yesterday purchased a new(leftover) 2008 2720 so I could now be officially called a member of the club.

I really appreciate your information,

Phil
Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #36
ib4classics

CONGRATULATIONS, and welcome.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #37
Philip

Default Great Information - a Real Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
Phillip, we tow a 3023 with a 4 Runner V 8 with 3;73 gears. I was told when I bought this new that the V 6 and the V8 both had 3;73 gears.
I have had several tow veh. and for the loads I have towed, I really like the 3.73 gears for towing. I get decent gas milage both towing and solo.
The V8 4wd is rated at 7000 lbs towing and the 2wd is rated at 7200 lbs.
We live in a mountainous region of the U.S. so everything starts at about 1800 ft and goes up, not a problem for the V8.
I have had the toyota V6 in a Tacoma, it too is a strong performer, I think the gear ration was 3.90 or 4.10
I prefer a veh. with a full body on frame for towing needs.
Torque and horspower charts are good to know for your tow veh. with torque comming in at lower rpms and maintaing a gain through the high 3000 rpm range.
Peak torque on the Toyota V8 starts at 2400 rpm and stays at peak through about 3800 rpm, 65 mph cruise is at 1800-2000 rpm.
In todays market you may find the used V8 is no more expensive, possibly cheaper and on re-sale, there is always going to be a need for a strong tow vehicle, just a smaller market.
Thank you for your experienced help. It really helps me make my decision.

I am now at the point where I have pretty much decided to buy a used Toyota 4Runner as a TV for my 2720 TM. The only decision I have to make is to buy a V6 or V8. I am leaning towards a V8 since it will probably give me more peace of mind towing in the Rockies(where I will tow most of the time) and probably get about the same MPG as a V6 while towing. Yes I will sacrifice MPG when not towing and this means something to me since I will have only one vehicle, however, I plan to sell the 4Runner whenever I stop towing(hopefully quite a few years) and get a really efficient vehicle for normal use.

Do you have any rough idea as to the MPG you get with your V8 4Runner while towing and not towing? What year is it and how many miles does it have on it?

Also, I am having a hard time finding out if there is such a thing as a "Factory Tow Package" on the older(2005, 2006) 4Runner V8 models. It seems as if all the used models have a hitch from the factory but some of the sales adds say "Factory Tow Package" while others make no mention of this. I looked on the Toyota website and a website which lists all options for older 4Runners but cannot find any mention of a specific "Factory Towing Package" option. They talk about a hitch supplied but don't say what class hitch this is or if a transmission cooler and larger alternator is included with this hitch. I would like to get at least a Class 3 hitch and for sure have a factory installed transmission cooler which normally are included in what most manufacturers call a "Factory Tow Package". Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to rely on a used car salesman to tell me this answer. Not trying to knock "used care salesmen" but just like any profession, there are good and bad in the busness. In any event it is difficult for any person to know all the details about all the used vehicles they are selling.

Thank you and everyone on this site for all the information. A great help.

Phil
Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #38
Philip

Default Thank You Again For The Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
My 2 cents..
Using the towratings from the TM site, the suggested vehicles work out at:

4 Runner - v6 = 5000 lbs with HD towing package
4 Runner - v8 = 7000-7300lbs with HD towing package
Probably your best choice. Using your head, the v6 would probably work out ok. While this particular chart gives the same 5000# rating for both 2 and 4 wheel drive, you may want to keep in mind that by basic mechanical physics, 4x4 will drain power. (The reason 4x4 usually lowers your TC). I would be cautious about going with the v6 AND 4x4.
The v8 would give you plenty of service/safety factor, and peace of mind.
The 2 wheel drive gives you slightly more TC (and probably better gas mileage), but I think the 4x4 "grip" would probably be a better choice, even with the slight loss of TC, if your main area of camping will be the mountains. The 2000 lbs of extra tow capacity means nothing when your trying to pull the TM out of a tricky spot and only one tire is driving.

Full size PUs can range anywhere from 7500-12,000 depending on model and equipment. As suggested, this would give you a great service/safety factor, but at a cost in daily gas mileage.
I am leaning toward a V8 4Runner. See my replys to other posts.

Again, thank you for all the help.

Phil
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #39
Scott O

Phil...as I mentioned earlier, we tow with a Tacoma V-6 without issue. For us there is about a 4 mpg penalty when towing, 20 mpg without and 16 mpg with trailer. And of course, there are about a zillion factors that will affect those numbers. I have never felt underpowered. An additional thing to consider regarding 2x4 or 4x4 is what you want to do with your TV when you are camped. We have had many adventures that required a 4x4. I agonized over what to buy and am SO happy we decided on a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

And congrats on your new purchase...welcome!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #40
larsdennert

My 4Runner is ten years old with well over 100K miles. I don't bother to look but 120K or 130K maybe. It has a small 3.4l V6 180hp. I tow our trailer from Los Angeles to Moab Utah every year. The passes are steep and well over 10k ft. 45mph max on those passes. I get about 15mpg towing with my lead foot. It has 4.10 gears but I have 33" tires. I'd prefer to have 4.56 or 4.88s. Overdrive (4th) is only good for very flat ground when towing. I really avoid it actually as the converter could overheat the trans. In between we do smaller trips in the local mountains and such. We tow a few thousand miles per year. I think it gets about 18mpg when not towing. It has to big a lift and tires to be a fuel efficient vehicle.

I would highly recommend a 4Runner with the new 4.0l V6 They come in 2004 and newer 4Runners. It has a much power at 240hp as the V8 but better mileage. It will get 19mpg normally. My guess is 15 when towing too due to the weight. It just takes a certain amount of energy to move that mass but it tows a TM very well.