TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Tampajohn

We have been on the road for a few weeks now. Two days ago, the fridge lit up immediately when we tried it. Back on the road Saturday, who knows what. to expect. I tried to manually light it when it would not start and there seem to be no gas. I will give it a try when we hit the road again if it does not start by the Piezo. Last time it fired right up. Leaving my head scratching and will try some of the suggestions offered. You guys are great. Thanks for all you help and suggestions.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
fourteener

TampaJohn,

I swear I posted this on a prior thread, but cannot find it anywhere. I think I had the same problem (very fustrating, especially when it impacts family time). I was able to get it to light, and stay lit,,,,but it would take me 30 minutes sometimes prior to being a success.

First - I used compressed air to blow out the orifice and the pilot chamber. Didn't fix the issue.

Secondly - I did test the electrical connections on the back of the 'green meter', and tightened one. Didn't fix the issue.

Third - I checked the gap between the piezo sparker, and the orifice outlet. Didn't fix the issue.

Fourth - I used a brass gun cleaning brush (either 9mm or .410 cal if I remember correctly) on one section of a cleaning rod. I removed the pilot chamber and brushed the area between the orifice and the piezo sparker, which removes all oxidation and carbon. And now I consistently am able to light it after approximately 3 minutes.

I'm unsure if this is the ultimate fix, but I definely think it is worth a try. Just remember to only clean the interior of the orphice (if you decide to try that) with compressed air, as you don't want to compromise the diameter of the outlet of the orifice.

I hope this works for you!
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #13
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
But hey, I probably destroyed my Norcold with my fancy wiring tricks- so be careful about getting too "tricky" (details below).

The "thermostat" definitely controls both AC and DC electric (poorly), using a low-quality temp sensor mounted on one of the cooling fins inside the Fridge. But for gas, the "temperature" dial itself constitutes the "pin" of a needle valve, and directly controls the volume of gas flow through the line (silver in color) which runs up from the TM gas connector to the dial and valve, and then runs back down to the burner.

It appears to me that the dial position is the ONLY control for flame size (excluding the "protection" shutoff, of course). I never saw any adjustment in flame size being done automatically by Norcold, according to temperature state in the fridge. Once turned on, the only adjustments were manual - I had to turn the dial down for late night and early morning, then turn it back up for afternoon heat. Dial "down" = flame size down; dial "up" = flame size up.

After my complicated "upgrade", My system allowed for a "Boondock mode":I would turn the switch to "Propane mode" and set a moderate flame size (i.e., dial position well below max) so that Propane would not freeze the lettuce at 5AM. Then I used a switched 12V power source, external to the Norcold "Mode" switch, to run the DC electric heater via the PID thermostat (accurate to less than 1/2 degree). It would run as needed (more in the day, much less at night) to maintain constant temperature for in the fridge.

WARNING: It is possible that use of that technique, over time, damaged the ammonia mixture by applying too much heat for extended times on really hot days. With the PID controller set to try and maintain temps below 40F, even while ambient ballooned past 100F, the DC electric heater unit would run almost continuously. The Norcold design doesn't allow for more than 140 continuous Watts of power input, and my scheme would create that much from electric (whenever the PID controller decided that DC power should be added), plus whatever setting I had made for the gas burner (typically 80 Watts or so). But on the hottest of days, I would often turn the propane dial all the way up, creating 280 Watts of input power. That might have been a serious mistake

Per my sig, I have replaced it with a high-end compressor model. (That's a 12V compressor, not a "dormitory" fridge). And my new Fridge is very famous for the problem under discussion here - going into unwanted "defrost mode" when the compressor doesn't run enough. (Due to lower-than-designed for ambient temps, combined with fairly good exterior insulation. Everyone says "it was built for the tropics").

As with Norcold, there's only one thermostat, and it's located in the Fridge section - paying no attention at all to freezer temps. In my case, insulating the freezer box from the warmer fridge section has been the main solution - they were previously separated by only the "freezer case", a box with very thin plastic walls, providing virtually no insulation at all. Frequently opening the main fridge door to create "more demand" is less optimal, IMO.
I'm not sure about the norcold. But the domic fridge on propane. The thermostat controlled turning the burner on high or bypass a low flame. So you can find the temp and mark the dial and it would open the valve if the temp went above. The real issue is if it went below that temp, it still would keep a low flame going in bypass mode so it would not lose a flame. This means it still cooling. This makes very difficult not to freeze food when its cold outside. The only solution I found is to turn off the propane at bed time.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote