TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
speronto

Default Hold down for Electra Magic 80 Toilet

I have a 1998 3125King trailerManor with the Electra Magic 80 toilet.

One of the Slide Hold Downs for my Electra Magic Toilet broke when reinstalling the toilet, because the Slide EZ Valve needed to be replaced.

Tried to order a hold down from an authorized dealer and found out the hold downs are no longer made and are discontinued. Nothing on Amazon.com either.

Does anyone know of a dealer that has these in stock, since they cannot be ordered?

Is there a way to jury rig the system to hold it down tight enough?

What is the similar replacement toilet currently sold, if I have to purchase a different toilet that has it's own small black water tank like the Magic#80?

Found an Electra Magic 80 on Amazon for a little over $500. I do not want to, and won't, spend that kind of cash because a $3.00 part is discontinued.

Shawn
Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Do you have a pic? I have a spare toilet !
Not sure about changes from your model to the one I removed recently.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Did you get the feeling that the "no longer made" verdict was because you have an earlier Model 80, and the parts have changed? I doubt it, but it is worth asking.

If Trailmanorman can meet your needs, that is the best solution.

Thetford is notorious for refusing to sell parts. We have had several discussions about the problem on this board, mostly concerning the Slide-EZ valve, or parts for it. Thetford is especially bad in the summer, when demand for their stuff is high. They seem understaffed, and rather than try to handle requests, they blow you off.

Last year I had some work done by my local RV Service place, Lee's Family Trailer Sales in Windham, Maine. While I was waiting to talk to the mechanic at one point, I wandered over to the Parts counter, and chatted with the girl there. She confirmed that Thetford is one of the worst suppliers they deal with, but that Thetford does respond to requests from RV service shops rather than individuals. To challenge her, I asked her to pull up a catalog listing for the gasket and seal kit for the Slide-EZ valve, which Thetford insists cannot be purchased alone. She opened up her electronic catalog, found the item, and told me she could have it in a week.

I think that is what is going on here. Thetford is just being a pain. To confirm my "diagnosis", I just emailed the same girl at the Parts counter, gave her the part number for the slide, and asked if she could get it. I'll let you know when/if she replies.

As for a jury rig if you need something fast and are handy with tools. I would go to Home Depot (etc) and buy a 1x1 stick of hardwood. Cut off an appropriate length, cut a slot in one end, and plane an appropriate ramp slope onto it, using your existing nylon slide piece as a template. Coat the piece with wax (or hard bar soap, which is even better), and tap it into place. Should work fine.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

They must consider a '06 to be "older" then. A few months ago I tried to order a refill package #03947 and a vent kit #05223 and was told they were not available.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Thank you Bill for the observation and tip. I have twice spent hours in the past trying to find parts from them, and limped along with minor issues through the camping season without the part. But you are right, it always seemed in the winter I could find the part.

I always contributed it to, I had more time to find a source or I got luck when I called them and talked to the right person. But what you say makes sense, i'm thinking your right they were to busy to deal with me in the hot season. Next time, I will check out an RV dealer and pay a slightly higher price, but get away from the frustration.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote