TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default used vs new

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebbqguy View Post
I'll look at a used one, but it needs to be the next best thing to new.
Here is a link to JD sanders RV. This is the only TM dealer in Fl that I know of.
http://www.sandersrvs.com/pre_owned_...&submit=Search

They have several new and used TM's. IMO they are a bit high. We bought our new '11 2720SL from TX RV for the same price as the 2009 used 2720SL that sanders has. We watched that one at sanders from about august of last year and they still have it. Several other forum members have bought TM's from Texas RV. Down side is they are 1100 miles from us.

You may want to look at this link for other thoughts on Texas RV: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=towing+buick

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
ng2951

I agree buying used is a better way to go. We got our 3326 for less than half of new, complete with a ding or two. I think the first year we had it we put more miles on it than they did in 2 years.

If you are use to popups, I really recommend you look closely at the folding issues. That is singularly the biggest drag to having a TM. All the hardware works just fine with few issues. Its just that you need to think about when you are tired and you would just like to hookup and go and you cannot. You have got to get everything off the table tops and folded down before you can close the beast.

If you are OK with that, it is a nice rig especially used.

The other thing worth doing is looking at older used TMs. This will show you just how well they hold up.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
If you are use to popups, I really recommend you look closely at the folding issues. That is singularly the biggest drag to having a TM. All the hardware works just fine with few issues. Its just that you need to think about when you are tired and you would just like to hookup and go and you cannot. You have got to get everything off the table tops and folded down before you can close the beast.

If you are OK with that, it is a nice rig especially used.
I spend more time backing and leveling my TM than I do popping it open, including setting up the closet, bathroom walls, and over sink cabinet.

And I am pretty good at backing. But I am very picky about being level.
You have to take stuff off of the table no matter what you do. I can't see any way to set a table for dinner and then drive down the freeway.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
TM_Matt

I don't discount any individual complaints or peeves as each person is different. We have a big trailer that can be made little to get into a garage, and can be pulled by much smaller vehicles than even a basic 18 foot full size TT - oh and the gas mileage - 21mpg average to and from Yellowstone for me (hand calculated). The whole design is a compromise. The fridge is a pain but it's ok for me - keep smaller amounts of perishables, rotate in the beer and coke, go to the sto' more. Setup - easy - unless it's raining! I would like higher storage - my biggest peeve. And the one storage that would be useful on the TV side on my unit is so narrow and far away to be of much use.

All the problems aside, I'll take them any day over having to pay for storage and having a rubber roof trailer outside to deteriorate constantly. But if I had storage where I could have a TT, I most likely would. Everything in its time.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Even a Class A motorhome has to be positioned, leveled, connected to the campsite utilities, and then set up inside and outside. The TM setup can't be more than 5 minutes more than that, and the TM has the advantage of staying set up when the tow vehicle drives off (yes, people tow cars behind motorhomes, but that business has it's own problems and perils as well). The TM is the best RV I have ever owned.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
ng2951

I understand not everyone has the same problems we do. We go to a lot of Cowboy Action Shooting matches and we have beaucoup equipment that has to be stowed in various hell holes plus positioning the SD camera gear cart, gun cart, and the dogs' kennel (the dacshund wants to dig out of the trailer).

The amazing thing is that we can stow all that, plus the Yamaha 2400, all of clothes and food AND STILL NOT NEED TO USE THE UNDER DINETTE STORAGE.

As far as leveling goes the 3326 has its issues. In order to get the door correct, the TM's rear must be pretty close to level with the front. I attribute that to the length of the 3326 chassis (26'). The rear, and in particular the driverside rear corner seems to like to hang the most. I think none of the other TMs have that issue, minor though it may be.

But I can tell you after several days of shootin' and carrousin' the pardette and I wish we could just leavin' the irons, leather, and such jest ware they wuz. Then we could hitch up the Tacoma Team and drag them to the ranch.

We kind of envy a couple of people who have small toy haulers who can do jest that...
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
PopBeavers

Leaving camp always takes longer than arriving.

We usually have 5 or 6 adults. DW and I sleep in the TM and everyone else has their tents.

We have nearly all of the "stuff".

Stuff comes out a little at a time as you need it. But, it has to go back all at once.

Some of us take a lot of stuff. I max out the TM almost to the weight limit, plus fill up two crew cab trucks. Not to mention an ATV trailer.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We bought new, primarily because 2009.5 models came with 15" wheels and a few other new perks that weren't available prior, and I didn't want to mess with that kind of mod myself. That being said, we, too, tend to prefer new (dings are mine) mentality.

We've found the TM worth every cent, and then some. Storage would cost me >2k/year, probably more for covered near where I live, whereas I can stick my 2720SL in the garage. Open, there's more than enough space for me, the twins, and the canine, even on rainy days -- it always rains when we're camping, go figure!

There's no question teardown is a bit longer than setup, for the reasons mentioned above. That said, there are always ways to improve the process, and I continually work towards that goal. For us, the benefits of the TM more than outweigh any disadvantage -- without the TM I don't think we'd be able to camp at all.

So, whether new or used, I really don't think you can go wrong

Welcome to the family!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Factor

Default Trail Manor [vs Casita, Fun Finder, and others

We had a TM 3023, now have a Hi-Lo 2505C. In my opinion both are over priced. For $30,000 plus, you can get a super regular trailer. The gas issue is overrated as well.
Both are well built, but, my next trailer will be a Rockwood or a BT Cruiser.
John
Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
We had a TM 3023, now have a Hi-Lo 2505C. In my opinion both are over priced. For $30,000 plus, you can get a super regular trailer. The gas issue is overrated as well.
Both are well built, but, my next trailer will be a Rockwood or a BT Cruiser.
John
I actually agree with you. However, we HAVE to have a trailer that fits in the garage. Pretty hard to do that with a full size trailer.

If I had to park my RV in a storage yard, I just wouldn't have an RV.