TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
sir1doc

Default Just Curious

Maybe someone has done this already and hope you all don't think I'm nuts but was wondering because of all the great different opinions on the wonderful topics here, I was beginning to think that TM owners could be classed into a couple of "main" groups based on the following
1. what kind of TM users are you? (long haul campers, or short haul weekend types)

2. young familys camping with kiddies, or more seasoned (I didn't say older) basically just grown ups traveling/sightseeing?

3. full hook up types or more rustic/boondock types.

I am sure there are lots of grey areas but was just wondering mainly what you use your TM's for. I love all of the info but some of it can be so overwhelming for newbies like me. Examples of the tow vehicle info which is great but can differ greatly on the type of user you are. Someone going 2k miles each way in mountains has much differnt opinions than someone like me who only goes 100-200miles each way in ohio. Also how you pack/load as a backpacking boondocker versus a full hook up type with the kids at the lake differs as well.

could be a neat way to "get to know" a bit about the regular posters in here.

Thanks

I'm a short hauler (obviously with my minivan)
that always has 2 or more kids
and lean towards the full hook ups because we camp a lot with both sets of grandparents and their "big rigs" in more commercial camp sites
Old 05-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Queeniereads

Both cross-country and weekend trips

We are approaching retirement, but sometimes have our 24 year old daughter with us

We are not boon-docking types -- full ride for us.

Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 05-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Simon3xUD

I'll bite . I co-own a 3023 with one of my dog training friends. We almost always shared hotel rooms so sharing a TM is easy, even with 6 dogs between us! Most of our trips are to 2-3 day agility trials and range from 2 to 6 hours away. We've camped at 3 trials already this year and have another 5 planned in the next 2 months. We almost always dry camp at the trial site.

The longest trip was cross country for a combination of national-level competitions - my friend and her dog flew home to MD from AZ while I went on to CA. Since then, I've taken it 14 hrs to GA and will be taking it 16 hrs to WI this fall. At big events like those, I actually get water and electric. If we're not lucky enough to get full hook-ups, they have a honey wagon available for mid-week pump-outs.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Freedom

It varies greatly from full hook-ups at Thousand Trails/NACO/Leisure Time Resorts to boondocking at the Pan Handle forest service CG during huckleberry season, to Wally World parking lot when traveling. Some times the grand kids are along, other times just the two of us. Have taken long trips - 3000+ miles and short trips - 30 miles or less. Can't really put a category on our camping. Been to the ocean and been to the Rockies. Family reunions and weekend getaways. (Except the getaways are usually during the week since the CGs are less crowded then.) We don't really fit any of your categories, yet we fit them all!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
2bcs1jrt

We (my husband and myself) travel with 3 dogs mostly weekends anywhere from 2 to 5 hour distances for Dog Agility trials about 17 shows a year. We are about 50/50 on having hook ups at the trial sites or not. We do plan on a real camping trip this September.
Cheri
Old 05-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
sir1doc

Thanks and keep em coming, It's neat to hear just a bit about how we use our TM's
Old 05-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

We use our for camping
Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Camping

We use our TM for mostly 3 day weekends. We usually go to State Parks 2-3 hours from here. The parks typically have water and electricity,, and pretty scenery. We always take our two dogs, as we couldn't live with ourselves if we were out having fun, and they were home - we've done that once, but never again!

We've been as far as Charleston (5-6 hours) thus far. We have plans to go to DisneyWorld Ft Wilderness this December and meet up with relatives. I've heard that Ft Wilderness is a great place to bring your RV. I DO KNOW it's hard to get reservations there at certain times of the year!

Plan to use the TM as a semi-permanent home while we build a new house in the mountains. Full hookups will be ready before real hammer and nail construction begins (that's the plan anyway). Otherwise it will be some dry camping for a while

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Senorsedona

Thumbs up Any where, any time

We travel close to 6 months a year. A number of short trips, less then 300 miles for a week or two. Then a couple trips for around 2 months, 3 to 4 thousand miles.
I would guess we have water & electric 75% of the time.
We have a couple of memberships and are affiliated with Coast to Coast and Resort Parks International with Enjoy America.

We just returned from a 2 week+ trip, 2600 miles. We spent one week dry docking.

That about covers it.

Happy Day

Jack
Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Magdefrau

magdefrau's----Original Couple with set of pre-teens(kiddies)----Go to church----work at job five-six-seven day weeks-----Plan week-end family trips in TM---Go on two week cross country trips in summer, twice. TM presents cost effective travel. Do Boy Scouts tents trip about the same.
Project/maintenance minded, trouble shooting TV Amp system--hoping to watch TV this week end at Table Rock Lake State Camp Ground near Branson, Mo. Most likely smarter than the average bear. play nice.