TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Default Wiring -- Use of wire channels???

I'm thinking about doing some wiring this spring and was wondering if anyone ever used the wire channels that are built in the TM? Is it practical to expect that I can pull some wires through these channels, or are they so tangled up or small that I would have no luck?

There are two wire channels that I might be interested in using, if they are usable??

- 1) The channel in the floor from behind and below the fridge to below the power distribution panel (converter) near the bath tub? Do you think I can pull some larger wires through this channel to upgrade my battery wires, to a battery on my tongue? I would like to to this update in 2015.

-2) On the rear upper shell; there is a channel along the center of ceiling, which from what I understand is behind the center fwd/aft molding. Off of that channel there must be a channel that goes to the side roof and down the wall to near the lift arm. This would be used for all the rear roof wires that drop down to the lower shell. Maybe it's behind the bag seal? Has any one every pulled wires through these channel? Forward thinking on this, if I ever want to permanently mount my solar, it may be a very clean path for the wires?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have used the channel under the bathroom floor. I think I pulled all the existing wires taut, pushed them to one side as well as I could, then straightened a wire coat hanger, bent a small loop into one end, and poked it through. When the loop came through, I tied the middle of a long piece of Venetian blind cord through it, and pulled the coat hanger back. This left me with two lengths of Venetian blind cord through the channel. I tied one of them off on both ends, and used the other for pulling the new electrical wires through. Just as a note, the new wire was fairly stiff (Romex, maybe?), and I thought I would be able to simply push it through. Nope. It snagged every time, and I had to pull it.

The channel under the bathroom floor is simply chopped out of the foam that makes up the middle of the floor's structural sandwich. If needed, you can chop out a bit more foam to make more room in the channel. Handy. You may not be able to do this with the channels in the ceiling if there is trim that needs to snap back into place. But I have not tried it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Thanks Bill. I'm right now thinking to re-do the wire from the panel to battery that is up front, with #8 or 6.

Maybe adding a junction box under the camper right below the fridge and splicing in the battery charge wires from the 7 pin to to the new wire to shorten the path to the battery?

I'm also thinking I will take wire for the breakaway brake switch off the panel and through a fuse directly connect to the positive side of the battery. This way the breakaway is always powered, even if I switch off the battery switch and forget to switch it back on.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Art -

Both of these ideas are pretty good. When changing wiring, I have learned to take notes and make careful sketches of what I have done, and stash them somewhere where I will stumble across them when I need them. I say "stumble across" because nothing is as frustrating as staring at some wiring that "isn't right", forgetting that I am looking at a change that I myself made 6 or 7 years ago.

Put a copy in the blue book, too, for the benefit of the next owner.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Is called "configuration management". I either sketch or use visio to make a drawing then either scan to the computer or print a hardcopy and put in the blue book. Also have been collecting manuals and such from the equipment manufacturers (Dexter even sent a copy of the build sheet for my axle - very good people).
Have about a half gig now.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Been there with changes that years latter, i'm asking myself what did I do??? Even worst is when you buy something that you have no idea what some else did.

I try to follow good change practices: marking up drawings, manuals or making notes. I will markup with pencil the wiring diagram in the TM owners manual's, since that is the first place I will look if I have an issue. This way, I can also passed on the changes to the next owner.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Is called "configuration management". I either sketch or use visio to make a drawing then either scan to the computer or print a hardcopy and put in the blue book. Also have been collecting manuals and such from the equipment manufacturers (Dexter even sent a copy of the build sheet for my axle - very good people).
Have about a half gig now.
Configuration Management? We can't afford to maintain CM. Not unless the Gub'ment forces us to do it in the contract. Then we can charge them quadruple for the project.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote