TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
flyday

Default Master Power Switch

Hey, all-
Tell me your ideas on a master switch for the battery for when I'm not plugged in or powered up to a power source. Or direct me to an existing thread. I think I've read that some of you have added a master switch to disconnect the battery from the system so that you don't have to either remove the leads or the fuse from the battery. 'Preciate it!
Dick
Old 05-07-2003, 10:08 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: Master Power Switch

You can buy one of those "knife" disconnect switches fairly cheaply at any RV shop. Simply lift the "knife" portion up and out of the clamp, and it's disconnected. You clamp the switch in lue of the regular clamp, and or screw, and screw the lead into the other end of it. That simple! Hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
tipper

The knife switch would work -- We use these in our automotive vehicle displays, having the knife element extend through a slot cut in the top of the battery box, both to indicate it's state and to provide a mechanical lock out.

However on my TM...

I use a double banana jack through the battery box's side [fuse inside the box].  The TM power wire therefore has a double banana plug for its wire.  This allows an easy disconnect for the battery.  The red and black color polarity markings must be always carefully observed!

I have an external battery charger also with a banana plug to recharge the battery and/or to help power the TM's refer and fan while not under A/C such as preparing to depart.  

I also made a 6' long 12awg wire harness having a trailer side 7-pin pollack connector to a double banana plug, so that I could simply lift the battery by its box from my TM's frame and charge it in the back of my van during an errand/day trip if required while dry camping.  [There is a 30 amp fuse in this harness]
Old 05-07-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
flyday

Tipper-
Parlez-vous Dummy-ese? Ya lost me with "banana" and "double banana" but I'm willing to learn. I probably know them by a different name. Knife switches I get, but your set-up sounds, er, more robust...
Dick
Old 05-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #5
tipper

Banana plugs and jacks are commonly used in Hi-Fi speaker connections.  You'll instantly recognize these. Radio Shack carries an assortment.

Old 05-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #6
flyday

Got it now. Thanks Tipper!
Dick