TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
thebloods

Smile New OwnerNeed Tow Vehicle Advise Please

Good Evening!

We just purchased a used 2007 2720SL TrailManor, which we really love! We are currently towing it with a 2003 Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4 that does not have a tow package on it, tow capacity 3500lbs. I don't feel that's enough pull.

Here's the dilemma: Do we try to outfit the Tacoma with the tow package ($800+ done by Toyota dealer), or do we buy a used 150 Chevy, Ford, Tundra, etc? I lean towards the mid-size TV, husband wants to upgrade the Tacoma.

Additionally, the Tacoma has an extracab which is a very small back seat, so the month long trip with grandson and dog across USA will be...tight.

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

Cynthia
Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Bluegrass

You'll be much happier with a larger truck that gives you more towing capacity and more space for dog and kid. 3500# is way too close for a 2720 in my opinion. There are lots of threads discussing towing capacity. If you haven't already, you and DH should take a good look at them.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
thebloods

Thank you! I've been reading them...we're starting to catch on!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Larry Gault

I have a toyota 2004 that didn't come with tow package but for around $250 I upgrade it myself. The TM dealer put the electric brake controller and trailer wiring on for free though I just added a receiver hitch and transmission cooler myself. I'm good to 5k now. I think the only other thing that come with factory installed kit is a bigger alternator. I have no problems pulling it with my truck although I am shopping for a Tundra next year.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Scott O

How about a compromise? Beginning in 2005, the Tacoma is just dandy for towing. Enough power, 4 x 4 is great, and even decent mileage. But in general, bigger is better, not only for pulling but also for stopping.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We recently upgraded from a Chevy S10 xtra-cab. The small truck-xtra cabs really aren't comfortable or practical for passengers IMO.

We bought an 06 Chevy Silverado xtra-cab and it has a full back seat that can sit ~3 but 2 (or 1 & dog) comfortably.

We actually get better towing mileage on the big truck with a 4.8L V8. It also has a 6,800# tow rating and towing the TM is not an issue. We don't even use a WDH.......although, we did add air bags due to all the extra weight that we carry in the truck bed (camper shell, bed-slide, built-in cabinets and misc cargo).

However, if you really want a passenger carrier, you may want to look into a crew-cab. We wanted an 8' bed and the crew-cab has a ginourmously long wheel base that is difficult for towing IMHO. A crew-cab with a 6' bed may be tolerable. It's about the same WB as my 8' bed truck.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I will disagree about the crew cab with 8 foot bed is not good for towing.

I towed for 4 years with the 1500HD 6.5 foot bed. For the last year I have been towing with the 2500HD 8 foot bed. The longer truck rides smoother on the freeway. If feels more stable at high speeds. It porpoises less, much less, near zero, not that the 1500HD was bad, just noticeable.

I prefer the built-in brake controller of the newer truck, but that is a different issue.

There are only two problems with the longer truck:

1. do not take it to the mall at Christmas.
2. be careful where you choose to make a U-turn.

The 1500HD can only seat 5 adults, because we have bucket seats in front. The 2500HD could seat 6 adults, but one of them better be a bit smaller than the others so they fit in the front center.

The last time we loaded the 2500HD for a tent camping trip to a motorcycle race, my son commented on how much easier it is to load and unload the bigger truck. We have to load two or three motorcycles first and then load the other cargo around it.

In the beginning, I did not want the long bed truck. It just seemed too big. Now, it is just right. But I take a lot of stuff with me that most others do not take.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I will disagree about the crew cab with 8 foot bed is not good for towing.
Who said that?????? Not me .......I said, "We wanted an 8' bed and the crew-cab has a ginourmously long wheel base that is difficult for towing IMHO".

Longer WB is always a better tow vehicle but it does have the challenges that you mentioned.........for US.....it won't work and anyone needs to be aware of the "Space" concerns of that monster ......IMHO......
Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #9
thebloods

Good Morning and thank you all!

We've decided to try a 150-esque truck instead of upgrading the Toyota Tacoma. All your input, previous posts, and information have helped us immensly. We're looking at good used Sierras, F150's, Tundras, and Silverados...we'll update you on our TV!!

Shopping for a truck in truck country
Old 11-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Next pickup I get will be one with an 8 foot bed. I have a 1/2 ton, V8, F 150 now with the 6.5 foot bed. The current truck tows our small TM easily, but the thing I really like about the 8 footers is the ability to carry flat, full sheets of drywall and plywood without leaning the pieces on top of the tailgate. As long as the truck will fit in the garage, I'd want the 8 footer.

All this assumes that we'll still have affordable gasoline in the future!!
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote