TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Keep your feet warm at night

Since we're approaching Fall weather when things get a little cooler, I thought I'd pass on this tip which may already be obvious to some but unknown to others:

DW detests getting into a cold bed so she sewed up a couple of cloth bags about 4" by 12" (made of flannel) and then filled them with feed corn purchased at the local animal feed store. I suppose you could just as easily use beans.

Just before we go to bed, she tosses them in the microwave for a couple of minutes to heat them up, then puts them in the bed to heat it up a bit. Since her feet tend to get cold, she pushes the bags down to the bottom of the bed and sticks her feet on them and goes right to sleep.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Sounds like a good idea to me! I got something similar for my birthday once, but it's and wider and longer. The cat used to like it when I wrapped her up in it on a cold day.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
rumbleweed

I hope you take them out when you return home and close up or you will find that you are also making the mice very happy.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I hope you take them out when you return home and close up or you will find that you are also making the mice very happy.
We just toss the mice into the microwave and.........

Actually, she also uses them in the house. No bed is ever warm enough!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
camp2canoe

Keeping our feet warm? Heck, that's the dog's job! - camp2canoe
Old 11-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
markndeb1970

We purchased a heated matress pad, turn it on a few hours before bed and it's toasty warm at bedtime, we had a heated matress in our Cherokee before the TM
Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Tom-417

When we were first married we used an electric blanket but after changing sheets we often found we had flipped the blanket over. Her control was on high and she was cold while my control was off and my side was too hot. The mattress pad doesn't get flipped over so it worked much better for us.

But the last few years my wife has been using two rice bags, heating them 4 minutes in the microwave, putting them in about the area our hips would be. Then when we crawl into bed we just push the rice bag down with our feet. They stay warm under the covers for quite awhile. She usually goes to bed at 9:30 and it is still nice and warm when I come to bed about midnight. She used to have a part time quilting business so she made hundreds of the bags out of scrap material. They were usually about 6" wide by 15" long.

She used to buy the rice in 50# bags and one day an Oriential doctor saw her and asked how she cooked her rice. She told him 4 minutes in a microwave. He was confused. She worked in the same hospital so she took him a bag with a card printed with heating instructions. Later he told her she could add the words "Doctor approved" to her instructions.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-417 View Post
We used an electric blanket but we often found we had flipped the blanket over. Her control was on high and she was cold while my control was off and my side was too hot.
Ha! We went through that for years with the electric blanket in our TM. In desperation, I finally grabbed a Sharpie marker, and put a small "X" on one control, and a matching "X" on the end of the top binding of the blanket. Works great.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Al-n-Sue

We used the electric mattress pad when we had our popup. It worked great on even the coldest nights.

In the TM we have a 1" memory foam topper (tried a 2" but couldn't close the shell!). Since they are heat activated we decided we shouldn't use the electric pad. So far (two camping seasons) it has worked very well. We use flannel sheets and that cuts down on the cold when we first get under the covers. DW has a favorite down comforter we keep to cover with if it gets too cold. BTW we use an electric heater with a thermostat - set about 60 at night - and use the propane heater as backup. Seldom have the heater come more than once or twice.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

We bought an electric mattress pad a few years ago for the rear bunk. That was one of the best things we ever did with the TM. I don't care how cold it gets - as long as we have AC power, that bed stays toasty!! Now all I have to worry about is the dogs trying to claim their (our) space!!
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote