TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
HappyWDWCampers

Default Weighing your TM

Ok, we already took the TV to the scales we are headed there tonight with the whole package (now that I have put a small amount of stuff in the TM). How do we get the final weight of the TM? Do we have to unhitch the TM on the scale? It will be easy to get the axle weight, but we need the total weight of just the TM as well.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Al-n-Sue

Default How I weighed my TM

When I weighed my rig this spring, they had me pull on the scale with the trailer hitched and they weighed the whole thing; then I unhitched in the parking area and pulled the TV on the scale. Obviously, the total weight - TV weight = TM weight. I think their resaoning is that they don't want someone unhitching and then hitching while on the scale since that would take access away for a longer time. I weighed at a local landscaping yard where they sell dirt, sand, and materials by the pound (or ton ) .

Please post your weights - I'd be interested in comparing your 3124KB wieght with mine - it was 4240 lbs BTW.

Hope this helps.

PS - It would be nice to know what area of the country you are from - you can post this in the area below your join date.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
jcjim4

I weighed the hitched tm and tv on the scale. Then weighed the unhitched tv by itself. The difference is the TM weight.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
HappyWDWCampers

Gosh, I feel silly, that is a simple solution! DUH!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I would use a Certified CAT Scale because they are required to be calibrated regularly. They are found at Truck Stops mostly. Al-n-Sue's Suggestion sounds like the easiest solution to me.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

I agree that you should use a certified scale. The one I used is certified to give DOT certificates - used to weigh trucks and large trailers I suspect. If you don't need the certificate, they don't charge!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
M&M Hokie

I will do that next time. I live near and work on an Air Force base that has a vehicle scale (they use it to support shipping activities for service members changing duty stations). It sits unattended by the side of the road and there is frequently nobody using it. I drive by it twice a day and rarely see anyone using it. When I went to use it I weighed the whole rig, unhitched and drove the TV off, weighed the TM and then rehitched. But just as I was putting the tension back on the WDH I noticed someone waiting to drive on. I felt pretty bad for tying up the resource.

I plan on going back in about a month to get axle by axle hitched and un hitched and was worried about how to do it quickly. This approach will make it fast.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
PopBeavers

I only weighed my truck and TM once, and I weighed it all together. Each of the three axles on a different segment of the scale. So all I know is the weight on each axle. I do not know the tongue weight.

I was not willing to spend the extra time to unhitch and weigh it again.