TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Philip

Default Hand Towing Dollie For A 2720 TM

Hello Again Everyone,

I have a 2008 2720 TM and wondered if anyone has used a hand towing dollie to move the TM about there driveway or into their garage? If so, is it fairly easy to push about on paved driveway?

If such an item is workable, it would make life easier for me moving the TM about my tight driveway and into my garage.

Thank you all for any help you can give,

Phil

2005 Toyota 4Runner
2008, 2720 TM
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Mike Watters

We just bought an older 2518. After bringing it home and putting a wheel on the front jack I went to spin it around and shove it into the garage. Total misery. The 1/2-3/4 inch rise between the driveway and garage floor really got in the way. Ordered a trailer dolly over eBay (from Homier Distributing Company - FAST btw) and used it the next weekend to pull the trailer out of the garage so I could set it up and start going through things. With the trailer dolly the job of pulling it out and shoving it back in the garage was a LOT easier. Just don't skimp and get a light duty jack. I got the one rated for 600 lbs and I got the impression it was getting a workout.

Like night and day...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
M&M Hokie

I use one that I bought from Harbor Freight. It is rated for 600 lbs too I think and it puts a little protest in but it really makes it easy to move the TM around. My only complaint is that it is built for a very low tongue. If the ball on it were about 4-6 inches higher it would better.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
I use one that I bought from Harbor Freight. It is rated for 600 lbs too I think and it puts a little protest in but it really makes it easy to move the TM around. My only complaint is that it is built for a very low tongue. If the ball on it were about 4-6 inches higher it would better.
The Harbor Freight Dolly Is The One I Use Too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37510
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
rumbleweed

I used the Harbor freight model until I needed to move the TM to an unpaved area. This required a powermover. The HF will work OK on a very level paved driveway. One suggestion tie a string to the safety release cable and run it loosely back to the handle of the dolly. This way if the TM gets rolling and you can't stop it you can activate the brakes by pulling the string
Old 08-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
This required a powermover.
At first I misread this and thought it said "powermower", which caught my attention.... then I started thinking... Has anyone tried using a riding lawnmower for this task? We regularly used a small utility trailer behind a lawnmower for hauling dirt around the property, etc, so this started me thinking...
I'm assuming that it would have enough power to move it around, as long as everything was on level pavement, but then started thinking about the tongue weight involved.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you could get/make a dolly that would support the tongue weight, I have no doubt the tractor could pull the TM around on level pavement. If that wagon can handle 600 lbs, which it sounds like it could, you could make or buy a tripod-mounted hitch ball that mounts in the wagon and use that.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
rumbleweed

I used my Garden tractor to move my popup when I had it. I think the tongue weight of the TM will be a little much for the tractor, I could pull it in Low, but it would put considerable strain on the tires and frame. Also, the hitch point on most small garden/lawn tractors is very low and you might hit/damage the tongue jack.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
If you could get/make a dolly that would support the tongue weight, I have no doubt the tractor could pull the TM around on level pavement. If that wagon can handle 600 lbs, which it sounds like it could, you could make or buy a tripod-mounted hitch ball that mounts in the wagon and use that.
I'm thinking along the line of modifying the Harbor Frt unit to then hitch to the tractor, etc. The dolly would take the tongue weight, while the tractor did all the towing. I'm assuming this kind of contraption would work with an atv as well.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
I'm thinking along the line of modifying the Harbor Frt unit to then hitch to the tractor, etc. The dolly would take the tongue weight, while the tractor did all the towing. I'm assuming this kind of contraption would work with an atv as well.
Exactly. There may be something out there that is already designed specifically for this purpose, but I doubt it would be very hard to modify the HF dolly.

You may even be able to tow it with the tongue supported by the tongue jack wheel, particularly if you aren't going very far. They make beefier tongue jack wheels if that ends up being the weak part of the link.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote