TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #21
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Wow! You guys are really into toys. I can appreciate that - I would like to get my motorcycle out west with me but not sure how to do it in a practical manner.

Thank you for the great information. It will help me in making my decision.

Phil
My neighbors have asked me about th cost of running two trucks, etc. It really is not as ba as it might seem. I only insure the trucks for 7,500 miles per year. They are not my daily drivers. They are used for camping and some hauling around the house.

My 2008 2500HD will be one year old next month. So far, I have put 3,300 miles on it.

At $3.00 per gallon and assuming 10 mpg that is $990.00 per year for gas. Per truck.

Cheaper than golf.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
PopBeavers

I am always fascinated watching my son's friends ride their motorcycles into the bed of the truck, but dirt bikes only weigh about 260 pounds. They also tell me that it helps to have an 8 foot bed instead of the 6.5 foot bed.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #23
rumbleweed

Wayne

You don't ride these into the bed You walk it on to the rail that is on the ground then winch up the rail into the bed.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #24
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Wayne

You don't ride these into the bed You walk it on to the rail that is on the ground then winch up the rail into the bed.

I knew that. I was trying to be somewhat humorous with the situation.

I have a hard time walking my 280 pound Yamaha WR250R into my truck. I have briefly considered a winch system as has been mention here. Maybe when I get a bit older. When my son (26) is with me, I stay out of his way and let him mess with it.

I can not image trying to walk a heavy road machine into a truck. Those things are heavy. I still can not figure out how anyone picks them up after a spill. Maybe they ride so well that they never go down, unlike me. But I only crash in the dirt. So far I have never crashed on a paved road.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
ED-n-KEL

I guess my first suggestion is for you to decide how you will use your TV.
You mention having a motorcycle so a PU sounds right for you.
Personally I like a van... many like SUVs, etc.
How many people will be with you? What type of gear?

I think I would first decide on the type of vehicle that you want/need, then go to capacity, and/or brand, especially if you're buying new and can configure the vehicle the way you want it.
Buying used can reap a great bargain, but you should be educated on what/how to look for on such things as engine type, tranny type, rear axle ratios, etc. These variables can change the TC of a given vehicle drastically.

I totally agree with what Bill was saying in that a bare minimum of 5000 lbs be the low end on the tow capacity. Personally I would shoot for something even higher if my main territory was going to be the mountains.
Keep in mind that you loose HP in your TV for every foot of elevation into the mountains. You can find yourself lacking upwards of 30-40% of your engine power at some of the higher elevations visited at some of the most popular NPs. If you attempt this with a V6 that's already marginal, you're going to be in trouble.

Diesel is the way to go for towing... no question about it... but personally I would never own one, so I accept the idea of paying more for the use of gas.
A small V8 through the right tranny and rear axle will surprise you on the MPG and the towing capacity.

Basically, make some decisions and do some homework as you are doing now before buying your TV.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #26
Philip

Default Ed & Kelly; Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
I guess my first suggestion is for you to decide how you will use your TV.
You mention having a motorcycle so a PU sounds right for you.
Personally I like a van... many like SUVs, etc.
How many people will be with you? What type of gear?

I think I would first decide on the type of vehicle that you want/need, then go to capacity, and/or brand, especially if you're buying new and can configure the vehicle the way you want it.
Buying used can reap a great bargain, but you should be educated on what/how to look for on such things as engine type, tranny type, rear axle ratios, etc. These variables can change the TC of a given vehicle drastically.

I totally agree with what Bill was saying in that a bare minimum of 5000 lbs be the low end on the tow capacity. Personally I would shoot for something even higher if my main territory was going to be the mountains.
Keep in mind that you loose HP in your TV for every foot of elevation into the mountains. You can find yourself lacking upwards of 30-40% of your engine power at some of the higher elevations visited at some of the most popular NPs. If you attempt this with a V6 that's already marginal, you're going to be in trouble.

Diesel is the way to go for towing... no question about it... but personally I would never own one, so I accept the idea of paying more for the use of gas.
A small V8 through the right tranny and rear axle will surprise you on the MPG and the towing capacity.

Basically, make some decisions and do some homework as you are doing now before buying your TV.
Thank you Ed & Kelly for the recommendations.

I have a good idea how I plan to use the TV and it may not be how most may think. I only want to have one vehicle and I want it to be fuel efficient. I first thought it would be possible to perhaps meet this criteria by towing the TM with an efficient TV such as a new V6 Rav4 or even perhaps a new Hybrid Highlander. This all came to an end when it became clear that the TM I want cannot be safely towed with a 3500lb capicity TV. I have now changed course from buying a new vehicle for a TV and I am now looking for the most efficient vehicle that will do the job and will buy it used. This will allow me to get rid of the TV as soon as I no longer need it(after I part with the TM) for towing without loosing too much on depreciation. I would then get a new very fuel efficient car for my daily use.

Yes I own a Yamaha XJ650 motorcycle which I would love to have along but I have pretty much given up on pratically taking it with me. I really cannot have a truck as a TV since besides my wife and I we plan to frequently have two other friends with us - sometimes a few kids(grandchildren) so a truck will not work.

I have considered a used Jeep Grand Cherokee(V8) but have now shied away from them since the durability of them is less that I like. I am now focusing on a used Toyota 4-runner. From what I have learned on this forum and elswhere about towing, I am leaning toward the V8 version even though the V6 has a TC of 5000lb. I would love to have an experienced persons comments on using the 4-runner with V6 in the mountains as I plan. I could get a much better price on a V6 4-runner if it was up to the task I require. I actually think that there would be very little difference in MPG between the V6 and V8 in the tow mode with the 4-runner.

Once again, I want to thank you and all others for the help given me in solving my TV problems.

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 AM   #27
ib4classics

Phillip, we tow a 3023 with a 4 Runner V 8 with 3;73 gears. I was told when I bought this new that the V 6 and the V8 both had 3;73 gears.
I have had several tow veh. and for the loads I have towed, I really like the 3.73 gears for towing. I get decent gas milage both towing and solo.
The V8 4wd is rated at 7000 lbs towing and the 2wd is rated at 7200 lbs.
We live in a mountainous region of the U.S. so everything starts at about 1800 ft and goes up, not a problem for the V8.
I have had the toyota V6 in a Tacoma, it too is a strong performer, I think the gear ration was 3.90 or 4.10
I prefer a veh. with a full body on frame for towing needs.
Torque and horspower charts are good to know for your tow veh. with torque comming in at lower rpms and maintaing a gain through the high 3000 rpm range.
Peak torque on the Toyota V8 starts at 2400 rpm and stays at peak through about 3800 rpm, 65 mph cruise is at 1800-2000 rpm.
In todays market you may find the used V8 is no more expensive, possibly cheaper and on re-sale, there is always going to be a need for a strong tow vehicle, just a smaller market.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #28
HappyWDWCampers

Personally, I'd go for a used 2008 or newer Highlander - I owned a 2008, and the gas mileage (for a 270 HP 4400lb 4x4) was anything but poor, averaging around 22 MPG (compare this to my Sienna minivan, which averages 20).

I mean, a 4-Runner won't be any cheaper used (with the exception that you could buy an older model without loss of tow capability -- something you can't say with the HL), and it will consume more gas (one reason I bought a HL instead of a 4-Runner when I did).

p.s. that 3.5L is fun to drive around town BTW - get the Sport if you can find one!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Yes I own a Yamaha XJ650 motorcycle which I would love to have along but I have pretty much given up on pratically taking it with me. I really cannot have a truck as a TV since besides my wife and I we plan to frequently have two other friends with us - sometimes a few kids(grandchildren) so a truck will not work.
I routinely carry 5 adults either in my 1500HD truck with the 6.5 foot bed or the 2500HD with the 8 foot bed. I could put a kid in the front middle of the 2500HD.

However, my trucks get 16 mpg at best when empty and around 10 when towing.

But I think the motorcycle will fit in an 8 foot full sized pickup.

According to KBB a 2006 2500HD long bed 2wd with 50k miles in my area (San Jose) would sell for about 18k. This would carry 5 adults, including the driver, plus one kid not older than about 12. Plus the motorcycle (I think) and tow the TM.

Unfortunately, I do not think it fits your requirement for fuel economy.

Do what I do, ride the motorcycle to work on sunny days. I get a little over 80 mpg in the motorcycle.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #30
kenngeri2720

Phil,
I have a 2007 4runner with the V6 and I pulled my 2009 2720 and now my Elkmont all over Colorado with no trouble at all. I had a 2006 Highlander that I pulled my popup with and that was fine for the size and weight of that trailer. The big difference between the 4runner and the Highlander is the durability of the 4runner which is on a frame, the highlander has no frame. I would think that the drive train in the 4runner is much more durable. One other thing that you may want to consider is the 4runner V8 is all wheel drive all the time and the V6 has a transfer case for 2x4 or 4x4 if needed that was the way it was it 2007.