TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
bigben8011

Default dutch oven donuts

here is a nice snack while camping. I normally use a small dutch over. I have done it in a 10 gt dutch oven before but a 2 qt works better because it is less amount of oil to deal with. You are going to need a few rolls of the pop open dinner rolls that pillsbury has. cinnamon brown sugar and some white suger a few brown paper bags and about a gallon of vegtable oil. start getting your oil warm. I scrape some coals over to the side of the fire so you are not reaching over the flame of your main fire to get to the finished donut. while doing that pop open a roll of dinner rolls and start making a hole in the center of the roll. try to make the outside as even with the inside as possible. this helps make sure the inside is done. check your oil temp by dropping a pinch of dough in the oil it should sink to the bottom and then rise about five seconds after droppin it into the oil. if it is longer or shorter adjust accordingly. if it takes longer add more heat if it is shorter then take away some heat. now that your oil is ready then slowly slip a dinner roll that you put a hole in into the oil so you do not splash yourself. while that is starting to cook then take the brown bags and double a bag up. add about a cup of brown suger and white suger to the bag. then add about a teaspoon of cinnamon. once the donut kinda floats out of the oil about half way gently roll the donut either with a wooden or plastic spoon. a metal spoon transfers heat to your hand and also puts a metalic taste into the donut oil. once it looks golden brown then take out and let drip dry for a few seconds and then put in brown bag that has the sugar in. shake and then pull it out and put on a plate with some napkins. the kids seem to really like this for a night time snack for some reason or another.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Doug W.

We do the same thing with canned biscuits and powdered sugar. I normally use a cast iron skillet instead of my dutch oven.