TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Lug nuts for Lug Nuts.

Here's a few observations and photos from my switch over from 14 inch tires and wheels to 15 x 6 steel white spokes with 225 R75 15 Maxxis (M8008, load range D, 8 ply, 65 psi). First, I had to replace all 10 lugs because their threads had been stretched after being over-torqued. I knew something was wrong because it was hard to remove each lug nut along the whole length of each stud. The threads appeared flattened or slightly rolled over. I'm pretty sure that I'm responsible for this because I was probably over zealous in tightening my wheels after the initial 10, 25, & 50 mile interval when the TM was purchased in 9/06. I didn't think that at 56 yrs I could put over 110 lbs of force on a star wrench but I guess I might have. I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high so I just "guess". I think I guessed wrong. I went to NAPA for lug nuts because the lug nuts at Pep Boys and Auto Zone appeared thin-walled and light duty (1/2 inch 20 thread). Oh, the studs were fine --- I guess that they're a harder steel.
These Maxxis tires seem a bit taller than what was reported for similar-sized tires from other manufacturers but I'm not sure about this. I think that they're slightly over two inches taller than the 205 R75 14 Marathons.
Anyway --- as you can see the new Maxxis have plenty of room with our '07 2720sl's 22 degree axle and 2 inch lift kit. I won't have to be so concerned about dragging tail in gas station entrances or boon docking. I went with Maxxis because I believed that it is a better tire for the extreme heat of Phoenix. I will run under max pressure (like most others who have made the conversion) and probably stay around 56-58 psi to soften the ride--- especially since these tires have a heavy casing. Don't be a lug nut. Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	205 R75 14 Marathon beside 225 R75 15 Maxxis.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2588   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5 inch clearance with 15 inch wheels and lift kit.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Much improved clearance with 15 inch wheels.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2590  
Old 03-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
PopBeavers

Thanks for the report. I will remember this when it is time to replace my original marathons. I, too, would like just a little more ground clearance. But, that might be too much for me to get the TM back into the garage. I'll have to check my overhead clearance very carefully.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Yawn...the spam is just boring.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
TomNVenice

I had two tire failures on a recent trip to Mexico. Both involved properly inflated 14" Goodyear Marathon class C. The second one caused some damage to the TM. I was unable to pull off the road because there was no shoulder. (The loose shredded steel belts did some damage to the plastic wheel skirt).

The tire failures reminded me of the kind you see on a retread. The outer tread literally separated from the radial steel belts.

I replaced the first tire with a light duty truck tire type D (the only one I could find). The second blowout happened in a remote area in the desert. I drove the last 250 miles to the border without a spare. I have no confidence in the factory installed Goodyear tires.

I am planning on converting to 15" wheels and hopefully better tires.

Question: Does the 2007 2720 SD come with a factory installed lift kit?
TomNVenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Does the 2007 2720 SD come with a factory installed lift kit?
Tom - You'd think this would be a simple question, wouldn't you? But there have been so many changes in lift kits over the last few years that I don't know if anyone can tell you.

In the old days, there were no lift kits. Then a bolted-on kit was optional. Then a welded-on kit was optional. First no one had lifts. Then only western dealers had lifts - the lifts were still optional, but the dealers in the west ordered them on every TM. Then eastern dealers picked it up. During all this time, you could look under the TM and actually see the lift if there was one, so the question was easy to answer. But then the physical lift "kit" parts went away, and TMs could be had with a different axle angle that would lift the body. Now you could no longer see a lift "kit", so it became harder to tell. Then ... well, you get the idea.

Here is one way that I THINK you can tell if your TM has a lift. With the TM level, measure the height of the frame above ground. Measure it just in front of the wheel, and again just behind the wheel. On my 2006 TM, both measurements are 16 inches. I know that I have the lift, because I can see the lift kit, welded to the axle assembly.

Other owners may chime in giving the height of their TMs, and whether or not they have a lift "kit". We may be able to draw a conclusion.

If you are asking the question about a specific TM, and you don't have access to it to make the measurement, then you may have to call the factory and give them the VIN. The production records would tell the story.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
TomNVenice

Thanks Bill - I'll contact my dealer - if that fails I'll contact Trailmanor.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
TomNVenice

Contacted the dealer, Custom RV, I do have a lift kit. However the dealer is recommending that I change the axle ( an additional $400 or so) when I move to the larger wheel. The dealer said that the Trailmanor HQ folks are worried that the 15" wheel conversion could literally shake the trailer apart. Has anyone who has done the 15" conversion had this problem? Or wish to comment?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I was one of the first to do the conversion (take a look at this thread, and especially post #5), and I, too, was worried about shaking the trailer. However, the shaking would come from rock-hard tires (the bigger tires can run at 65 psi, rather than only 50 psi for the smaller ones), so my answer was to not to run them at 65 psi. Even at 50 psi, the bigger tires have considerably more carrying capacity than the 14 inch tires. I run mine at 60 psi, but that is mostly for Intersate driving. I would probably soften them a bit if I was about to journey over a lot of bad (meaning bumpy) road.

By the way, "upgrading" the axle (meaning a change to a stiffer axle) would only make the shaking worse, so I don't understand the reasoning behind this suggestion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote