TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
irenepl

Question 14" bolt pattern

I have been reading the 14" to 15" swap threads and was looking into this. I have a utility trailer with 15" tires and was going to try the fitment. I went to measure the bolt pattern on the TM and found that it is a 5 on 4" bolt pattern. Based on all I have read hear so far it seem that the standard would be 5 on 4.5" pattern. My TM is new to us but is a 1999 2720SL. Thanks, Wayde
irenepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenepl View Post
I have been reading the 14" to 15" swap threads and was looking into this. I have a utility trailer with 15" tires and was going to try the fitment. I went to measure the bolt pattern on the TM and found that it is a 5 on 4" bolt pattern. Based on all I have read hear so far it seem that the standard would be 5 on 4.5" pattern. My TM is new to us but is a 1999 2720SL. Thanks, Wayde

When you measure, make sure you measure from the center of 1 bolt, to the center of 1 of bolts furthest away from the 1st hole.....in other words, you don't measure adjacent bolts.

Hope this helps.

Chap
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
irenepl

Thanks, I did that and double checked against my 5 on 4.5" utility tire and is still a 5 on 4".
Old 02-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Chap -

I agree that it is alternating bolts that count, but I'm not sure I agree (or disagree) with the measurement. If you Google around the Internet, you will find some references that say "center-to-center", but most say that for 5-lug wheels only, the proper measurement is "center-to-far side".

Among the former are
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=92. I think that they confused themselves with their tricky diagram.

Among the latter are
https://rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
http://www.mrt-wheels.com/boltpattern.html
and others. This last one says you can also measure center-to-center, and multiply by 1.05.

On my TM, the measurement is 4.25 center-to-center, and 4.5 center to far side, which agrees with the 1.05 factor. And when I did my tire-size change, the tire shop referred to the new wheels as "5 on 4.5".

I believe that 5-on-4.5 is a common wheel today. Perhaps TM used a different wheel/axle in 1999. Regardless, if the actual measurement is different between the TM and the utility trailer, you will not be able to swap out the wheels.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
irenepl

Thanks, I did the center-to-outside alternating bolt holes. It is not 4.5" It is very close to 4". I even took the spare off and into garage to get a good measurement.
Wayde
Old 02-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Chap -

I agree that it is alternating bolts that count, but I'm not sure I agree (or disagree) with the measurement. If you Google around the Internet, you will find some references that say "center-to-center", but most say that for 5-lug wheels only, the proper measurement is "center-to-far side".

Bill
How Bill stated is how we do measure for the 5 lug wheels. Outside to center.

I have never heard nor seen a four inch pattern for the 5 bolt wheel Wayde mentioned. I am curious. I have seen some 4 bolt on 4 inch pattern in a 14 inch wheel.

I am now wondering if something has been changed on this Tmanor we are discussing. It almost sounds like a 100mm pattern used on vehicles, but you wouldn't see that on a trailer.

Wayde, can you post a pic for us to see?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
irenepl

Here is a photo of the tire. What do you think?????
Wayde
Old 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
mtnguy

Bill & Bobby,

Thanks for the heads-up on the measurements. I learn new things everyday, and this is 1 of many for today.

Chap
Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:

Wayde

I believe if you go to the outside of the hole where you have the ruler end, then that will probably give you the 4 1/2s".

Chap
Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
wmtire

Quote:

Wayde
OK Wayde, you are measuring from the center of one hole to the INSIDE of the hole across from it. You will need to extend your tape measure a little further out to get to the OUTSIDE of the hole across from it. It will be 4 1/2 inchs then.

EDIT: It appears Chap and I were posting at the same time.