TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2002, 09:57 AM   #1

Default Northeast Winter Camping

Over the holidays, we are looking to take our TM up to the Northeast for 8 to 10 days.  Could not find many campgrounds that are still open through the end of the year.

Any ideas, suggestions, or discussion groups for winter camping in Vermont or surrounding area that you are aware of?

Just looking for some locations for some winter fun.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:04 AM   #2

Default Re: Northeast Winter Camping

PJ,
Don't know about Vermont, but try calling some of the smaller campgrounds. We used to camp at a family owned campground up near Banner Elk, NC near SkiBeech. The campground was offically closed but we were still allowed to stay there for a small fee. No hookups were available.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:09 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: Northeast Winter CampingYou might try the Tree

You might try the Tree Farm Campground in Springfield, Vermont.  When we last stayed there, 4-5 years ago, it seemed that they were preparing for their “winter” campers. We were there in the second week of October and were asked to move our trailer because they were going to bring a stored trailer onto our site for its owner. It is a fun place because the sites are among the trees.   It seems that  there just weren’t many campgrounds in Vermont.  We would travel north to Barre, Vermont to attend a fiddle contest.  There was one campground in Barre but it had become a membership type situation.  It could be it returned to an open door policy.  The Hemings News which is a magazine for the public to advertise their old cars has a museum in the southern part of Vermont.

Of course you could always camp overnight at a Walmart.......  but there aren’t any Walmarts in Vermont.  You would have to go to an adjoining state.  That should be an easy thing to do.  Vermont, like many other states in the North East is very small.  You can cross many of them  in a couple hours.  Your might look for campgrounds in other states. Very likely, because the states are so small, you will be visiting many of them.

You might investigate the condition of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  The last time we used it, it was wavy (up and down) and it is soooo long.  It seems that the tires on our tow vehicle were not in tune with those on our trailer.  When our car was up, the trailer was bottoming out.  Thats the way it was for the width of the state.  Not very much fun.

Hal
Old 11-17-2002, 12:21 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

PJ -

We stayed last weekend at Chocorua Campground in Chocorua NH (near Conway) in the White Mountains. The site had electricity, but no water of course. The dump station was open, but no rinse water. However, the toilet/shower building near our site was open and well-heated. Their status really depends on how much snow has fallen, since they don't plow out very many of the sites.  It is not Vermont, but the White Mountains are beautiful anytime, and the Conway / North Conway area is real visitor-friendly (read "factory outlet malls&quot.

Do you have a copy of what I call the Big Book of Campgrounds?  There are actually two, as I recall.  One is from Trailer Life/Good Sam, the other is from Woodall's.  If not, you can buy one at any RV supply store, or find one in most libraries.  You may have a tough time finding a campground without one.

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:01 AM   #5
grkman1

I plan on going to Pennsylvania during Christman week.  I found a campgroung in the Pocono's (where I used to live)  The website is www.otterlake.com  if you are interested.

A question to all you Trailmanor owners is will the TM withstand these temperatures during that time.  I would say that during December, the evening temps get down to the low 20's  I was planning on making a "skirt" for the bottom of the TM using a thick plastic and velcro strips to attach it.  I was then thinking of keeping a space heater under the unit to keep everything warm and prevent freezing.

As far as the water was concerned, I was planning on used the fresh water tanks, and refill only when necessary.  Also use my holding tanks and also dumping when necessary.  I know there are pipe insulators, that would cover and plumbing under the trailer.

Has anyone had experience camping in cold weather with the TM, and what precautions did you take to avoid any freezing.  I would appreciate your comments or you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks much
George
Old 11-19-2002, 09:10 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The TM water system is pretty hardy. It will freeze solid if you let it, but in my experience it won't break. But the "skirt" idea is REALLY interesting. I hope you do it, and report your results to the group here.

As long as you have heat inside the TM, the fresh water tank and the water pump will be OK, and I think the blue gunk in the toilet will be OK (though I have no concrete experience to report). But the grey water tank, as well as the fresh water hose and the sewer hose, are a problem.

A humorous note - or at least I am able to view it that way after some time has passed. Last winter we spent a cold night in Cibola Sands campground in Grants, New Mexico. As we checked in, the campground owner reminded us not to let our sewer hose lie on the ground, since the contents don't fully drain - i.e., water collects in the hose and freezes. He said that the previous night, a camper had let his entire hose fill and freeze, and in the morning he ended up with a set of steer horns (a long frozen hose that you carry across the campground to the dumpster). "He looked pretty silly carrying those horns to the dumpster, I can tell you!" But the owner also said that if you do freeze, it is not a problem as long as you DON'T TOUCH THE HOSE! Run some hot water down the drain and let it gradually thaw. If you flex the hose before it thaws completely, though, the ice will punch pinholes in the vinyl, and you get to throw it away.

It being late when we checked in, I listened but didn't really pay attention. I left the hose out, propped up so it would drain, but it still had a low spot. It froze, of course, and you can imagine the sequence. In the morning, I discovered the freeze, ran hot water down it, it started to thaw, but I wasn't patient enough to wait until it thawed COMPLETELY. I lifted it up, flexed it - and KA-PUNCH - got leaks. Carry it across the campground to the dumpster, feeling humiliated, everyone watching. Curse a bit. Go to Wal-Mart for a new one. Mumble mumble.

We're heading for the same campground next month. This time I'll be smarter - I hope.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:39 AM   #7
grkman1

Hi Bill

Yea I figured something like that could happen.  I figured to use my holding tanks, and dump every so often when necessary.  As far as the water is concern I would use the stored fresh water tank, and only hook up my hose in the day when hopefully the temp was not freezing to refill the water tank.

I find this would be such an adventure to camp in the cold weather.  The past summer I went out west and it was great with the TM.  I am sure it will do well..I will let you know how it goes.  Im going to St. Augustine Beach for Thanksgiving and have a site reserved on the beach.  I cant wait.  This will be the first trip with the new 2003 I got 2 weeks ago.

Take Care
George
Old 11-20-2002, 04:16 AM   #8
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

The following webpage has listing of campgrounds in Vermont

http://www.campvermont.com/

These webpages have summary listing of campground and give the opening and closing dates:

http://www.campvermont.com/html/cgs/...gamen_aj_f.htm

http://www.campvermont.com/html/cgs/...gamen_kz_f.htm

I've heard that Lake Dunmore Kampersville campground is good and they are open year round.

FYI: Vermont got snow last weekend.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:38 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the advice.  Those websites have a lot of information.  I even sent off for the Vermont Winter brochure on one of them.

Thanks again.