TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #21
SCBillandJane

Default My Experience with Maxxist

I purchased a used 2003 3124 in 2008. I switched to Maxxist tires because they were the only option at the tire store other than Goodyear Marathons which had a terrible reputation at that time and I had to get the trailer home to SC from Florida. On that set of tires we went to Alaska back to SC, SC to Key West, SC to San Diego, SC to Maine, and other local trips over 8 years. In 2012 on the trip to Maine a camper following us passed and stopped us saying we had a bubble in the tire and could have a blow out. Even though we had about 50,000miles the tires, and they still had good tread, I was still not eager to replace them with another set of Maxxist tires until the Maine tire store that sold me another brand said "You know that tire we took off the trailer was made in 2002". I had been sold a 2002 tire in 2008. It didn't start to fail until it was 10 years old with 50,000 miles on it. Hey, I had to give it a A plus passing grade.
I have a second Maxxist story, and I am a retired school teacher with no connection with tires. We loved our Trailmanor, but we got a few more years on us and decided that we needed to get a more traditional trailer, sacrifice the gas milage, and not have to raise and lower the trailer. We traded the Trailmanor for a 2015 21 foot Camplite. On our way home from Illinois to SC we had terrible sway and I was questioning what I had gotten myself into. Long story short ,we met up with a Trailmanor group in Myrtle Beach for a rally. One member of this forum pointed to the tires on my new trailer with 3,500 miles and asked if I had seen the splits in the tires. Wow there were cracks in the tread and the sidewall. Cheap Chinese original equipment Vail tires. When I returned home, I immediately had 4 new Maxxist tires mounted before a trip out west. To my amazement 90% of the sway disappeared. The Maxxist tires must be tracking straighter. Since I put the Maxxist tires on, we went 11,000 to the Northwest from SC and 5,000 miles to Key West with no trouble.
As to speed I will have to admit that I have gone over 65 mph for long times especially on the Alaska trip. I will also as an older camper highly recommend going in the right lane at 65. You don't have to be as alert and can enjoy the scenery. You arrive at the campground without grinding your teeth and having an argument with the copilot.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #22
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
My latest is a TireMinder but waiting for cooler weather to install.
I have used this piece of equipment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #23
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default I have liked 'em so much...

that I just put a set on my SUV. Maxxis towing Maxxis.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #24
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default How to find Maxxis tires

It was time for me to get new tires and I decided to get Maxxis as a result of all the good comments about them. The trouble I ran into was that no one seemed to carry them which I've seen stated many times by others. When I checked the Maxxis website, it indicated that the nearest dealer was over 60 miles away so I called Maxxis. I was directed to a local company that turned out to be a wholesaler. They directed me to a tire shop less than 10 miles away from me. I called, gave them the size I needed, and they had them for me later in the day.

The moral of this seems to be that it may be easier to get Maxxis tires than it first appears.

BTW - The Maxxis price was $15 less than the best price that I could find for the new GoodYear Endurance tire of the same configuration.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote