TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
momto4girls

Default Question about "load range"

My current tires are load range c. I read an article on etrailer.com that stated that the axle capacity is more important than the load range of the tire (or that was my newbie interpretation of it). In other words it may not matter if your tires can handle more load if your axle cannot. How do I know what my axle capacity is? (My TM is in storage, so I can't go out and look.) I have a 2002 with 14 inch tires. We'd like to replace with better than what we currently have if possible. Or is load range c perfectly adequate?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

That is a loaded question, but the axle on most 2720 tm's are of 3000 - 3500 pound rated and the load range C tires are approx 1700 pound per. Which then gets you just a little bit over the REAL weight of a trailmanor. With the D rated tires you get a little protection from the added cargo weight and propane and water etc... I am sure more people with more knowledge can tell you more, If my brother was here he could tell a lot more as he was a tire executive at cupples company in MO. where they actually made the tires. I would and did go up to a D rating tire just for the added protection of added weight. hope that is clear as mud

I think I made a mistake of trailer axle I believe it is a 5000 # rated axle, I was thinking of my small utility trailer

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
That is a loaded question, but the axle on most 2720 tm's are of 3000 - 3500 pound rated and the load range C tires are approx 1700 pound per. Which then gets you just a little bit over the REAL weight of a trailmanor. With the D rated tires you get a little protection from the added cargo weight and propane and water etc... I am sure more people with more knowledge can tell you more, If my brother was here he could tell a lot more as he was a tire executive at cupples company in MO. where they actually made the tires. I would and did go up to a D rating tire just for the added protection of added weight. hope that is clear as mud
hmmm... Why would TM put an axle only rated at 3500 lbs when the gvwr is more than that? Your info is helpful. I think I would feel better with the d rated tires regardless of the axle.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:15 AM   #4
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
hmmm... Why would TM put an axle only rated at 3500 lbs when the gvwr is more than that? Your info is helpful. I think I would feel better with the d rated tires regardless of the axle.
Just like fire arms...it's better to have it and not need it than need it and NOT have it! My 3124KS weighed in at just under 5K lbs last time I put it on the scale and that is right at the limit of the axles (so they say), wheels and tires,. However I went 5500 miles last fall like this and had no issues at all...but that being said, after I got home I decided that I'd changed everything out.... to 7K lb Timbren axle-less axles with a 2 1/4" lift, and new 16" Maxxis tires load rated "E" (about 2480 lbs. per tire) and new rims good for 100 psi. I wanted to make my TM's rolling stock bullet proof...and it is. I don't ever have to worry about any of this stuff ever again no matter how much gear I load into my TM!
Tom...says mo is bettah
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #5
YNPKing

Default Axle Carrying Capacity

It is my understanding that the weight an axle is carrying is calculated as follows: Total Trailer weight - Tongue weight - Wheel and Axle weight.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
I think it has a 5k rating on the axle, I was thinking of my small utility trailer

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I know of at least two different single axles used on TMs: 2720 and below - 3500 lb, 2922 and up 5000 lb.

The 3500 lb axle uses a 5 bolt wheel, the 5k uses a 6 bolt wheel. On a Dexter axle there should also be a sticker with the manufacturing info.

I have tires with over a 2000 lb load rating and changed from stock because I did not like the second sticker on my 2720SL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nother2sticker.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	13783  
Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I know of at least two different single axles used on TMs: 2720 and below - 3500 lb, 2922 and up 5000 lb.

The 3500 lb axle uses a 5 bolt wheel, the 5k uses a 6 bolt wheel. On a Dexter axle there should also be a sticker with the manufacturing info.

I have tires with over a 2000 lb load rating and changed from stock because I did not like the second sticker on my 2720SL.
Ha! thx for the info. Did you have to change your rims when you upgraded your tires? Or do you have the original rims?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just like fire arms...it's better to have it and not need it than need it and NOT have it! My 3124KS weighed in at just under 5K lbs last time I put it on the scale and that is right at the limit of the axles (so they say), wheels and tires,. However I went 5500 miles last fall like this and had no issues at all...but that being said, after I got home I decided that I'd changed everything out.... to 7K lb Timbren axle-less axles with a 2 1/4" lift, and new 16" Maxxis tires load rated "E" (about 2480 lbs. per tire) and new rims good for 100 psi. I wanted to make my TM's rolling stock bullet proof...and it is. I don't ever have to worry about any of this stuff ever again no matter how much gear I load into my TM!
Tom...says mo is bettah
I would love to do all that! Being that 4 kids cost a little bit of money, I will have to settle for *adequate* rather than *mo*. After I spend the next 15 years paying for the 4 kids to go through college, I will do lots of upgrades!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Mom,

I have a similar TM as you, both in model and age. I have a 3500 lb axle, so I bet you have the same. I have had my TM for 9 years, and have traveled 10's of thousands of miles, including several transcontinental trips, those on some oven-hot desert roads, and some in rather evil, bumpy, rumble strip like mountain roads for long stretches.

Loaded, our TM weighs about 4,000 lbs, which is similar to what others with 2720s have reported. I've had several tire blowouts, but never any sign of an axle failure.

The load range C tire is what the factory put on. Woefully inadequate, in my opinion. I had 1 blowout with a C, granted on a hot summer day at the end of one of those transcontinental trips, about 20 miles from home.

Then I got the Kumho 857 tires, also a 14" tire, but a load range D, and thus a higher weight capacity than the OEM C tires. Had 3 years of good service out of them, but had a blowout.....make that 2 blowouts, on a Sunday afternoon in a relatively small town. Made the decision then and there to move up to a 15" wheel and a load range E tire. This required no real modification to the TM, since I already had the 2" factory lift kit installed (a $40 part); I did have to put on the washers behind the wheel skirt to move it out from the trailer a bit for more tire clearance.

I had the E tires for about 5 years, running at 65 psi after I learned that pretty much anything above that beats the trailer to death. I had them balanced, which I think is key, as others here also report. After 5 years, I replaced them with the same size and load tire, but different brand (Maxxis tire, see my signature). And so I expect another 5 years of faithful service.

So simply based on my experience and the fact we basically have the same trailer, I'd get a lift kit, install it if you're handy, otherwise get a shop to do it. It's relatively inexpensive ($100 labor maybe). Then get 15" rims (probably no more than $50 each, maybe less), and 15" tires. You could keep a 14" rim for the spare, and swap it out the next time you replace the 15" tires if you need to save money. I'm often out in the boonies with no help/tire shop in sight, so I got a 15" spare at the same time.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote