TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
ATHiker

Default 2720sl

I recently looked at a 2720SL and have a question about raising the front section. I found that it took a considerable effort in an awkward position to raise the front section by myself. I had to straddle the front part of the frame between the section that held the propane tanks and the tongue lift. I was concerned about hitting my back on the tongue lift. I guess my question is do others have this issue? Maybe the suspension needed a tune up and required more effort than normal? Do others find it possible to raise the front section from one side only? With two people, it went up smoothly. I am concerned about raising it by myself.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

The front roof can be much heavier than the rear roof section due to the AC mounted on the top and how high the tongue lift is. The lifting arms may need an adjustment. What some owners do to make it a little easier is to lower the tongue lift and allow the roof to raise downhill, if you will. My wife can easily raise our roof on her own this way and we have a 3124. Then raise the tongue for the rear roof to open level. I stand slightly to curb side to lift the roof. I raise it slightly and then place my foot against the lower box frame, near the bottom and use this as leverage to pull up and out at the same time.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Lowering the front to an unlevel position greatly helps. Every degree of angle lower makes raising the front shell easier. Just don't go crazy and have like 10-15 degrees difference.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

It sure sounds like the lift arms need adjusted. Dealer said they set up each unit so you can stand on the street-side of the front, and lift the front shell. No straddling of the tongue.

If there is adjustment available (adjustment screws are not within 1/8" of pushing the bar against the stop) for the rear lift-arms of the front shell, crank the curb-side adjuster (it adjusts the street-side lift arm) in 1/8 turn. See if this makes it possible to lift from the street-side of the tongue. If not, do another 1/8 turn. I believe that if that doesn't take care of it, you should turn both of the rear adjusters an equal amount each subsequent time, but it really takes a little experimenting. If one arm is way out of adjustment, it may take more. A dealer can get it all set up properly, and may be worth the trip and cost to have them do it.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Ours has always been that way, even after several adjustments. Its a little easier since I changed out the A/C unit. Lowering the tongue helps, my wife and I each grab a corner.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
ATHiker

Thanks for your replies! As mentioned, I think the suspension needed adjust. Glad to hear that one person can raise the front without straddling the frame.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

How does the front shell close? If it closes much easier than it opens - and especially if it drops closed with great enthusiasm - then the torsion bars certainly need adjustment.

Each time you make it a little easier to open, you make it a little harder to close, of course. The factory (and possibly your dealer, though I am less convinced) can set it to the optimum point in this tradeoff. Or you can do it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
ATHiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
How does the front shell close? If it closes much easier than it opens - and especially if it drops closed with great enthusiasm - then the torsion bars certainly need adjustment.

Each time you make it a little easier to open, you make it a little harder to close, of course. The factory (and possibly your dealer, though I am less convinced) can set it to the optimum point in this tradeoff. Or you can do it.

Bill
I was looking at a used unit. I have only seen two TM's in person. The first was at a local RV show and I didn't try to open the unit by myself. I'm still in the market for a used unit and was looking for confirmation that I should keep TM on my list. I only live a couple of hours from the factory, so if I purchase one, it's not a big issue to take it in for a tuneup.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
gerrym51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Ours has always been that way, even after several adjustments. Its a little easier since I changed out the A/C unit. Lowering the tongue helps, my wife and I each grab a corner.

what ac unit did you switch to.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We ordered an Advent off of Ebay; wasn't about to install another carrier since they quit making them in 2009. Two years before we bought the camper new.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote