TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
CampAllDay

Default electric trolley/dolly - swing around tongue

Hi there,

I have been researching TMs for a while now and I am intrigued by the unique design of the TM. The garage-ability of the TM is an important factor for us, which eliminates storage somewhere else and makes a last-minute camping weekend trip so much more possible and easier.

1) My garage is 21 feet and a few inches deep. With a swing around tongue, a 3023 model would be possible to store in my garage, but it would be a tight fit. To the question: If I buy a used 3023 TM that does not have a swing around tongue, are there shops that can modify the tongue to make it swing around?

2) I am also wondering how to get the TM into my garage. Is its weight light enough so that my husband and I can 'push' it into the garage? Or is an electric/gas trolley/dolly needed? (BTW: I love this video: .). This trolley could also help me navigate into a camping lot.

3) And last question: Is the size of the 3023 too big? In other words, will we be turned down in state and national camping grounds?

Thanks and I really enjoy this forum and have learned a lot.

CampAllDay
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi CampAllDay,

Welcome to our forum.

1-Yes, there are welding shops that can modify a hitch to be a swing tongue hitch. You may need to bring the TM to them so they can see what they need to do and give you a proper estimate.

2- Yes, you can move a TM by hand on level ground, but if your driveway is on a slope you probably would need some motorized assistance. The product you posted looks good; however I'll bet it is costly. There are many other choices that have been talked about here.

3- Many campgrounds will post their max trailer sizes. There are many that will allow a 3023; however ther are many that won't. It's always best to call and inquire as to the size limit at any campground that you want to stay at.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
CampAllDay

Thanks for your insights, Tim. As for item # 3, I have a follow up question: What size is appropriate to report to camp grounds? It is a bit tricky to me because of the two size configuration (open or closed -- e.g. +/- 7')?

CampAllDay
Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

If I were you I would always report the size of your rig when it's open. Many camp sites might not handle the TM open plus your TV (tow vehicle).

Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
clan_salmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampAllDay View Post
Thanks for your insights, Tim. As for item # 3, I have a follow up question: What size is appropriate to report to camp grounds? It is a bit tricky to me because of the two size configuration (open or closed -- e.g. +/- 7')?

CampAllDay
For our 3023 we report 27 feet. TMs are about 2' 8" shorter than the model number implies. We haven't traveled near as much as a lot of the folks here, but we've never been turned away due to size. Also, with the rear bed overhang you can sometimes get away with the 23ft claim.

Current model specifications can be found here.
http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Sh...ecs/specs.html
The 3023 isn't listed, but you can see that the others models are shorter by about the same amount.

That Camper Trolley is a neat idea, but at $2,700 I'll have to do without one. I was curious if the exchange rate would help, but we are at about parity. The Europeans and Aussies have a variety of caravan movers to select from. Not sure why none of them seem to make it over here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
If I were you I would always report the size of your rig when it's open. Many camp sites might not handle the TM open plus your TV (tow vehicle).
I've just always told the reservation staff I have a 25ft pop up. The descriptive pop up can imply and gain access to more desirable sites that are closer to the view or river edge etc. It can also imply minimal service connections for electricity, water and sewer. So, it's all in how you want to camp.

I prefer to not be in a line of full time RV'ers, large MH's, 5th wheel set-ups, etc.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

RVcycleguy makes a valid point in regards to using the term pop up when making reservations; however I have also had the experience of being shoe-horned into a vey small site with my TV sticking into a neighboring tent site, which was thankfully empty during our stay. So as you gain experience camping in your TM and with different camp grounds, you'll learn where you can and where you can't stay with your rig.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
CampAllDay

Thanks for all the helpful hint great suggestions, everyone. This forum is just wonderful.

I am now actually consider the 2720 model. This is because we want to bring bikes on many trips and the 3023 would most likely not fit in the 21 foot deep garage, if the rig had a bike rack. Unless.... Unless, the bike rack can be on the TV? Is that possible?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Another point to consider in describing your TM is that if you call it a pop-up you may be excluded from certain sites (Ie. some sites in Yellowstone)-I guess it all depends on where you are camping.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampAllDay View Post
Thanks for all the helpful hint great suggestions, everyone. This forum is just wonderful.

I am now actually consider the 2720 model. This is because we want to bring bikes on many trips and the 3023 would most likely not fit in the 21 foot deep garage, if the rig had a bike rack. Unless.... Unless, the bike rack can be on the TV? Is that possible?
The bike rack could be on the TV but most likely on the front bumper. I use a Tundra pick up so I can use the truck bed. If you think about it, anything on the rear of the TV will interfere with the turning radius of the TM, ex; propane tanks, hitch jack, etc. From time to time, I will load my motorcycle in the truck bed which requires the tailgate to be in the down position. I then have to remove my hitch jack after the TM is on the ball and WDH is set in place.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage storage, swing hitch