TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default DO cobbler

The best cobbler that I can ever recall eating (don't tell my Mom) was last summer while I was hosting on the Greys River in WY. I was talking with the leaders of a group of Scouts while they prepared dinner. A guy dumped in a box of cake mix, then dumped in a package of mixed frozen berries, another box of cake mix, and then poured in part of a can of soda. It was some sort of carbonated fruit flavored drink (peach?). Having eaten many cobblers from a young age, I commented that I'd never seen one made that way. The Scouts shouted "YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!" and invited me back later. I had eaten a full meal but the aroma alone made me crave it. They had ice cream but it was too good to add anything to the wonderful taste. Dag gone it, now I'm hungry!

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Getting started with Dutch Oven cooking

Hi Pam,

Searched for Dutch Oven on the forum and found your messages.

My wife and I are getting ready for a long summer camping journey as a campground host in Kings Canyon NP, California.

I thought I would try the dutch oven. Haven't bought one yet. Just for the two of us, is an 8 inch too small? We don't have much room for leftovers in the Trailmanor frig as you know. So I don't want to get one too big and heavy and have to store it too.

You mentioned the Lodge DO recipe book but didn't state what the title is. Do you have some advice on books?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
k_and_p_camping

I think an 8" would be great for 2 people. We bought one that size about a year ago, and I can't think of why we didn't do it before! It makes desert for 4 or main dish for 2.

As to advice on books, I think the best idea is to go to an outdoor store that stocks Dutch Ovens and just take a look at the recipes. Pretty much all the books have the books have the basics about seasoning the oven and caring for it, so it really comes down to which book has the recipes you prefer. Note that after a while you'll start using any recipe you like because a Dutch Oven is just a method of cooking. I have a preference for one pot meals, so I use casserole and "hot dish" (the midwestern term) recipes from many sources. Anything that can be cooked in your oven at home can be cooked in a Dutch Oven once you've gotten some experience.

The only thing that gets complicated is a recipe that is high in sugar. For example, one of my most requested recipes is "Monkey Bread". It's just canned biscuits, torn into 3-4 pieces each, shaken with cinnamon sugar before being placed in a greased pan. I use about 3 biscuits per person, and end up pouring some of the extra cinnamon sugar on top before cooking. That recipe requires a lower cooking temp than most because of the sugar.

Warning: Once people find out you are a competent DO cook you will be in demand at all future cookouts. You can either pretend that it's really hard and take all the accolades, or clue them in about how easy it is and let them do the cooking the next time!

Pam
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Dutch Oven cooking

Thanks Pam,

That is sound advice. You are right about the personal preferences. What one person loves often doesn't do a thing for me.

Since I am retiring soon I will have plenty of time to experiment.

Bob
Old 05-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
kempert
Site Sponsor

Several people have told me that cast iron is the only way to go and "Lodge" brand is the best. The best news is that they are made in the US.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #16
NiceMustang

Well here are a couple of slants on the whole DO idea which I'm sure many of you do when you camp...

- The poor man's DO is just a sheet of thick tin foil (or doubled up regular thickness). We put in hamburger, onions, potatoes, maybe some carrots. For the kids who are with us and don't like it all together we'll make up small packets of each and then wrap the whole think in tin foil. Just toss them on the grate or on the fire or in the coals and let it bake. If it's above the fire or in it we'll turn them from time to time. If it's in the coals we just leave it.

- The have-to-have campfire pie tins. These are the cast iron forms on the end of short rods with wooden ends. You put a piece of buttered (on each side) bread on each half (the forms are sprayed with Pam) and then put in your fixings. We make them almost every single day we go out if it's a normal trip. We do pizza (sauce, cheese, meats), grilled cheese (just cheese), ham and cheese (you guessed it), pies (just add your favorite filling) and even chocolate pies (with broken up Hershey bars)! All goodness all the time!

How about your favorite pie items? I know this isn't quite on subject (should I have moved this to a new string?) but it connected in my head!

Dan...
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
k_and_p_camping

Default Depends on usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
No one asked me, but consider this.
IIRC, you can get a DO in aluminum or cast iron. The cast iron one is more $$$, but better in the long run... in this situation, don't opt for "cheaper"...
Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong....
I have both cast iron and aluminum Dutch Ovens (8 and 14" in cast iron, 10 and 12" in aluminum). I don't consider one or the other the "best" but they are good at different things. I use my aluminum DOs when I'm primitive camping and have to carry things (no trailer). I also use them when I'm doing canoe camping (also without trailer!). The aluminum is 1/3 the weight and doesn't rust. The cast iron pans hold their heat longer and get a better non-slick surface. They must be maintained well though since they will rust or get stinky quickly if not taken care of. Note that my 14" deep cast iron oven is so heavy when full of food that I can hardly pick it up! I certainly couldn't imagine one of my Girl Scouts moving it around, but even the very young ones could handle the aluminum DOs.

If you only use one when trailer camping, and you don't have problems with arthritis, get the cast iron. It does cook better, IMHO. However, if you have problems with taking care of the cast iron or have trouble picking up heavy objects, you can do just fine with an aluminum. Note that I think you can find a decent cast iron pot at a lower price than a good aluminum GSI DO, so it isn't necessarily an issue of price.

Pam
Heading out this weekend for a canoe trip with friends that will include an incredible potluck with great outdoor cooks. My food will be from a DO.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Doug W.

I also love my Dutch Oven. Used it when I was in Boy Scouts as a boy and leader. Also used it when camping with the family.

We go canoeing at least once or twice a year. We are normally tired after a day of canoeing. My wife and sons loved this meal. I just buy a couple cans of beef stew. I put the stew in the DO. I mixed up bisquick biscuit dough and put it on top of the stew. Put it on the coals and then head to the showers. When we got back from the showers, it is ready to eat with very little effort. I also do cobbler, but my family prefers canned fruit with bisquick shortcake on top of it.

I also did not see it mentioned for the new DO users. Yes, you can bake in it. I have done biscuits, pineapple upside down cake, many cakes, muffins, ect. You just put them in a pie pan and put the pie pan in the DO. Just keep in mind you need to get the pie pan off the bottom of the DO or it will burn. Just throw some small pebbles in the bottom of the DO to let the heat circulate. Some people use three pennies, but I prefer pebbles.

I have also used a reflector oven to do some baking on camp outs back when I was roughed it. It is three piece of aluminum and some all thread that act as a shelf and holds the aluminum together. One time me and another Eagle Scout baked a fruit pie in a cardboard box line with aluminum foil and some coat hanger wire as shelves.