TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default 2 Years of living with the TM

We are now starting our third year of owning the TM and over all it has worked great for us.

Things that we don't like.
The bed mattress, this one of the first things replaced. To soft and a back killer.

The couch, seat cushions are too soft and are another back killer. No fix here yet.

Although the converter works, it doesn't work as advertised. Added a separate breaker to turn on and off. Looking into a replacement.

Fiammia awning, to light weight to use very much. The rafter to clear the door also has to be raised so high there is no dry area under the awning when it rains. Also not properly caulked and braced when installed. A project for this winter.

Cabinet trim and doors: Have to keep repairing the trim when it starts peeling off. Doors not hung straight.

Shell adjustments not correct when delivered. Still working on these, we have black marks and rubs both inside and out.

Swing hitch: we made it back but the gap on the curb side is getting wider. Another fix scheduled for this winter.

A bit of sloppy assembly that had to be fixed. Wiring lugs not right improperly crimped; Window in upside down.

Things we like:

Easy to tow weather at sea level or 11000 feet.
Easy to set up and break down. This is really important when setting up/breaking camp every day.

Low profile when towing in high winds.

Camper is great in rainy/snowy/cold weather. For us a very small electric space heater when we have shore power is more then enough.

Mods that worked great:
Fresh water tank clean out
mud flaps, we had a curb side blow out this year.
Larger DC wiring for charging Battery's while towing.

Solar Panels: when dry camping never saw the battery's below 60% and the panels brought them right back up. It would usually take us 3 or 4 days of use to get to the 60% level.

blue boy tote carrier: gone are the days of struggling with the tote in the back of the truck

Led lighting: The Kaper II works great but after 3 years of use, it was in our pop-up before, we have a few led failures. The cheaper units started failing in less then a year. Have to order Kaper II replacements.

The best part can't wait to start next year's trip with the TM.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Tampajohn

Default Thanks for heads up.

We bought our 04 about a month ago and before I had an Aliner. I am just starting with the mods and really appreciate the heads up. Prior owner scraped the awning and the side. No real damage except cosmetic. I think I am going to remove the awning (Fiamma) and get a piece of bottom trim from the factory to replace the bottom of the top front panel. A few scratches, but that is the way everything I own is or going to be. Just don't get too worked up about it. Bed mattress is a bid concern and have not slept in it yet. Replaced the mattress in the Aliner and made a big difference. Also replace the bed in a Coleman Taos we had. Have not figured out the change for this one, but am getting ready to plan for it. Have a couple of Thermarest self inflating mattress in the garage that we used in the Taos and they worked ok. That is the first step and then will go from there. Not much room for anything else once closed. Thanks for the great website and appreciate all the input. John
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

My TM is the second one in ten years. Had a toy hauler between TM's. I don't find the bed too soft. It's a memory foam product and comparable to our Temperpedic bed at home. I find the firmness to be very similiar. The sofa cushions could be firmer but I try to not spend too much time inside. In my experience, camping is an outdoor activity. The only issue we have had with the awning is flexing in the wind, but all awnings will have trouble with too much wind. For what the TM is rated for, it's the perfect RV for my needs. Tows well, light weight, easy to store. We had guests with us last weekend while we camped at Galveston State Park while attending the Lone Star motorcycle rally and we felt very comfortable with 4 adults. 30 ft between sleeping areas was more than almost every RV available that can be pulled by a good size SUV.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
robertkennel

I also think changing out the shower head with an Oxygenics Shower head is a must. I can shower, wash hair, and shave without running out of hot water. The long handle also raises the height so a person who is 6'3'' tall gets water at neck level rather than chest level. The minus to this type of shower head is it increases the time it takes to fill the Thetford Toilet. Another reason to change out the Thetford.

Thetford toilet change out for obvious reasons or should I say personnel reasons.

Replace the tongue wheel with a heavier duty was a must for me.

Added two cooling fans on the exterior of refrig vent to keep temps cold even on hot days. (yes I do use a recirc fan in refrig)

Keeping the trailer and seals clean helps reduce the seal marks.

The huge plus, who can put a 27' trailer in an average size garage.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
cstevens

You can get a mattress at costco for 125.00 works great... you just need to take it off when putting down the trailer We stick ours on the couch.. works fine......
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Hm. Lots of mods here, I enjoy them!

Replaced mattress with a combination of memory foam/foam and a 5" air mattress underneath. Much more comfortable inflated, but can be used uninflated if needed, and the bedding stays on when closing down.

Fridge: digital thermostat for AC, permanent fans inside, booster fans outside. Working like a charm.

Plumbing: "Ultimate water transfer bridge" + external fill mod. Fresh water tank clean-out. Bought the Oxygenics shower, but haven't bothered installing it yet, 'cos we don't shower while camping -- we just don't go for long enough to warrant it, yet. Will further mod the shower curtain when the time comes, or this spring if I get around to it.

Toilet: reworked internal mesh, removed skirt. Works great. I charge it with half of a 5-gallon collapsible tote, not the shower head. Much faster, and I don't use up water from the system.

Couch: still need to level the back for bed use, but my son doesn't really complain. Made bunk beds, so my daughter doesn't complain.

Misc: quick release into high pressure system, for grill and/or campfire. Removable awning for storage. Steps for dog to get into rear bed. Shelves in rear storage. Shelf on wardrobe for microwave.

Planned for this year: cellular signal booster, improved stabilizers, pull-out shelves, blackout fabric inside curtains, a few other minor odds and ends, etc.

Yes, it's become something of a dangerous hobby, this tinkering! Can't wait for the spring!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Starting our 5th camping season

Although it will be a late start this year we'll be starting our 5th year with the TM.

Still have some pieces of trim inside falling off. Tacks and wood glue are the fix.
Velcro is starting to separate from the adhesive backing. Pop rivets fix that.

Bathroom wall plastic slide has the screws pulled through. They used counter sunk screws and to much torque. Pulled it apart and added small washers. The plastic slide will need to be replaced at some point. The slide for the wardrobe uses pan head screws with a shoulder, no problems there.

While chasing a leak removed the A/C trim inside and found the 12 volt wiring rubbing in a notch cut in the aluminum. Added split tubing to fix that problem before it became one. I'll add a pic of this problem.

Have not located the leak yet, only shows up with heavy fog or a mist/fog.
Rain to gully washer no leak

TM over all is still the best camper for us
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12vACcrop.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	11411  

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Stripping caulking on the curb side front shell; a lot of it has separated. Also about 3 inches of the awning bracket has popped out of the awning. Didn't much care for that attachment system anyways so as soon as the new caulking sets I'll add additional "L" brackets.

I wonder what the 1 inch molding is for about a 1/4 inch from curved cap at the roof/wall interface. Sure makes a lot of extra caulking repair work. This molding is the same as in the middle of the roof that covers the seam. Don't have it on the street side

Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Terryl

Have not located the leak yet, only shows up with heavy fog or a mist/fog.
Rain to gully washer no leak

I've got a similar problem. I have a leak at the rear of the non-powered roof vent. I took all the old caulking off and re caulked but it still leaks.
When you find your leak please post about it . It might be my problem as well.
Terry
Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
dryadi

Default Velcro repair

In Our 2008 TM that we just purchased the Velcro on the kitchen sink side is completely peeling off , making it harder to put the flap up when we are about to close it . I noticed you mentioned pop rivets as a way to fix that? Or is there industrial type Velcro that we can use to replace insisting one ?
I also need to replace the Velcro that keeps the flaps attached to the wall while pushing beds in.
dryadi is offline   Reply With Quote