TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
I suspect the Elkmont was the killer product. Not because it is a bad idea but with people bringing their trailers back for repair and outright demands for their money back, their reputation was hurt badly.
When the Elkmont first came out, the dealers were saying that they sold more of them than the folding models. And I've yet to find another light-weight trailer with a layout we like for around the $22,000 we paid (or less). So I do think they were a potentially viable product.

Unfortunately, the initial quality really, really sucked. (But that seems to be behind us now as we get ready for another trip to Florida).

Starting up a whole new line of trailers at the beginning of a major recession/depression must have put a tremendous financial strain on the company. These are luxury items for most. And perhaps that financial strain and subsequent cut-backs was why the Elkmont's initial quality suffered.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if any of the RV manufacturers are making much of a profit, if any, these days.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #22
TMJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elidh11 View Post
A new (?) 2012 model? I dont see this on the Trailmanor website. Wish there was a floorplan.

http://www.thecarshowinc.com/exotic-...eHistory=true#
FYI, the 2417 Sport has an option for a wet bath with a cassette toilet. Also, the fridge is a 3-way. The stove top is a handy indoor/outdoor unit. It has a rear king bed and a front full size bed.

Apprx. Dry Weight 2150 lbs.
Hitch Weight 295 ibs.
Towing Length 17'9"
Open Length 21'6"
Width 7'1"

Jeff
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
CampingFools

Default 2417 purchase on the horion

We have been hoping TM would make a slightly smaller model than the 2619, and the 2417 appears to mark all the check boxes for us. We've been hemming and hawing for about two weeks, but it looks like we'll be placing our order come Monday.

We are happy popup owners currently, but are in need of a more weather sturdy unit now that we are newly retired and preparing to spend considerably more time out on the road with our rig. Our current popup has served our needs well for many years, but we'll be needing more convenience in inclement weather than it currently provides. We'd also like to be able to set up and break down more quickly since the majority of our trips will now be multi-leg, multi-week ones. And no more having to hand roll up the awning, hallelujah! We also want to be able to continue to garage store, and we want to stay in the same 2100 lb dry weight range, which makes the 2417 Sport perfect for us. (We'll actually gain two feet of our garage back because of the swing arm option we'll be having added.)

We are very happy with the King Bed option, and will be ordering the unit with the shower/cassette toilet option in place of the standard cabinet option. The huge back end storage compartment is another big plus on this unit as well.

Would prefer to purchase used, however, this is exactly what we'd been hoping TM would produce at some point (we found the two Sport Deck models felt a bit tight inside, while the 2417 Sport feels airy), and we plan/hope to own it for at least 10 years, so we'll suck it up and purchase new in order to get exactly what we've been waiting for.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #24
Dave99gst

i dont no if any one asked....is it common nowadays for the spare to be in the storage area ?
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Completed first outing with 2417

We went out a couple of weekends ago, for our first outing with our 2417. Loved it!!!

Had been canvas pop-up campers for years, but wanted hard sides, and faster setup. We have the cassette toilet and shower stall in ours (wife insisted on it!). We only set the shower up at night, as the woods are fine during the day. But, everything about this unit is very good. Refrigerator actually had ice on the bottom (I had set it to Max) after 12 hours. Hot water was very hot (I had set it to High, then turned it down when I saw how hot it got). Furnace kept my wife plenty warm (much better than a canvas pop-up!) all night, and I barely had it on. It got down to 40° overnight (outdoors!).

Very minor issues that the dealer is taking care of right now, but nothing that would have ruined a longer trip - just tweaks.

We got it because we go way back (and up) on Forest Service roads in Colorado, and it will work well. I would not even think about taking any of the larger models where we go, so this model is the only one we would have considered. If they didn't build it, we wouldn't have purchased a TM. We will be retiring in a few years, and will travel all over with this. Tows behind our 2006 Grand Cherokee (5.7 liter Hemi) just fine.

Would highly-recommend this model to anyone who goes to the back country to camp. With a 40-gal fresh-water tank, we can go for a week, no problem. Battery will likely last, also, but we will find out this summer. Worst-case, if we stay in one spot (don't plan to), we could hook to car and re-charge, if necessary.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

It's nice to hear from an owner of one of the new models, and glad that you are loving your new TM.

Congrats and may you have many fun trips in it!

I'd love to see some pictures.....especially of the interior.

D
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #27
T and C
TrailManor Master

I looked at a 2417 at Custom rv last week. It had many of the features that make TM's so great such as the open airy feel with lots of windows. It just had a little less of most things: two burners and no oven, very small sink, no bathroom. I understand that you can order one though. I can see why this trailer would be seen as a step up from a popup.

The main feature that I would miss is that there is no hanging locker. Back in our popup days we hung stuff on a shower curtain rod mounted across the rear of the camper shell on our Pickup truck. In our TM we do not have to carry clothes in stuff bags or suitcases. The drawers and hanging locker suffice.

My .02

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
moaboy

Welcome.
Glad you are enjoying your new TM.
Would love to get your suggestions of out of the way places in Colorado to camp.
I think it is a beautiful state.
That is a great combination - TM and Colorado!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Pictures of 2417

I have made an album, marked it Public, and I guess you just click on my screen name to go to my public profile, where you can click on the album.

I have 6 pics of the 2417, 3 inside, 3 outside, each with a caption. I wasn't thinking of posting them when I took the pics, so they are basic shots, but representative of the unit.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

For those looking for remote camping in Colo, were I will take my 2417 (I took my canvas popup to all of these, with plenty of room on the trail). All GPS coordinates NAD83.

On Hwy 285, SW of Fairplay, Breakneck Pass road. Camped at N39.14869 W106.07746, and N39.14841 W106.05889

On Hwy 285, just S of Kenosha Pass, turn west at Jefferson on the Georgia Pass road. N39.39307 W105.89301. Not for the timid, as you may have to back down if someone else is in the site already. This is at the end of a side-road, off a Forest Service road. (Like I said, we go way back, and up!)

Anything on the top of Rabbit Ears Pass, on Hwy 40, east of Steamboat Springs. Have gone south of the road to a number of places, and may to north of the highway this summer.

I used to go in Summit County, south of Keystone, around Montezuma, but it is getting pretty crowded, even along the trail to Webster Pass, from the west side. Still beautiful scenery, but more people than we like.

Lots of places around Lake City, in southern Colorado. Or, on top of Grand Mesa, or the Flattops. Pick an area, look at the DeLorme atlas, and follow your senses.

Don't worry, I won't be at any of the specific spots again, so I am okay with sharing. I rarely camp in the same spot twice, as we like to explore. We enjoyed them all.