TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I wonder if most of the trailer damage is done during the actual blowout, which is a fraction of a second, or from the subsequent thrashing of the separated tread against the trailer while you try to pull over....

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Al-n-Sue

I think I have seen on this forum that the factory has now started balancing tires at the factory.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
tom123

Default 3 Blowouts on trip

We traveled on a 7500 mile trip across the United States with our 2004 2720 trailer. I checked the tire pressure everyday - 50 pounds (especially after the first blowout). We had the factory 14" Marathons. Our trailer was pretty full. I never traveled faster than 65 MPH. Each of the blowouts happened after we had traveled for at least 2 hours and the temperature was over 90º F. Our last blowout was on I-15 on a busy afternoon. I was going 65 MPH passing a Semi in 115º heat! It took me a while to pull over. Luckily we were hauling it with a heavier vehicle, a 2004 F-150. As a result, the undercarriage was torn up pretty well. I believe the load range "C" is not enough for these trailers under these conditions.

I checked the clearance under my trailer and we have plenty of room to go to a 15" (ours came with the lift kit and still barely fits in our garage) I'll probably have to take some air out of the tires to get it to fit in the garage, but it will be worth it. (Thanks for the 3" Clearance tip Bill)

If you have not had any problems with your load range "C" tires, consider yourself lucky!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #14
bigben8011

I blew a tire out on my last trip two weekends ago. old tires that had been abused. luckily there was a walmart up the street. going tommarow to get another new one on the other side. kind of a pain to change a tire on these things.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
PopBeavers

We had a blow out on the curbside, Marathons. Almost exactly 4 years old from date of mfg.

DW was driving and did an excellent job of getting off to the shoulder of the freeway, eastbound I80 at Baxter, CA, in about 100 yards. No damage other than a shredded tire. There was no say or any other indication of a failure other than the loud bang. Good thing the radio was off. Outside temperature was over 100 degrees. We hit a pot hole about half an hour prior to the failure. I had inspected both tires at a rest stop about an hour prior to the failure and all appeared fine, not too hot to the touch, no signs of cracks or bubbles, air pressure appeared (visual inspection) normal. Tires had been inflated the evening before we started out.

I suspect it was the age of 4 years, the temperature and perhaps the small pothole. From now on, after any pothole I will inspect the tires.

Even though I have a bad knee, I swapped the spare in about half and hour and we were on our way.

Based on a recommendation from my local mechanic, I am putting TowMasters on.

I could not find a tire on the three day weekend, so going home on Sunday we went about 40 miles and left it with a friend in Grass Valley. I will go back to get it either this weekend or next.