TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
camp2canoe

Default Spatchcocked chicken

I found this recipe on the BIG GREEN EGG (ceramic cooker) website and have refined it for use either on our big Weber grill at home or on our Cobb grill when traveling with our TM. A spatchcocked chicken is a butterflied chicken and apparently you can buy them prebutterflied from European butchers.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
dry rub
olive oil

1. With sharp knife or poultry shears, cut the backbone out of the chicken by cutting along one side of the backbone, then along the other. Turn the chicken over and press down to flatten it. Brush chicken with olive oil and add dry rub both on and below skin.

2. Place the chicken cut side down on the oiled grill at about 350 degrees. Cook for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for 25 more minutes. You can also add your favorite sauce 10 minutes from the finish. Smoking is optional. For a more tender chicken, use a fryer or broiler chicken as opposed to a roasting or baking chicken which will be tougher. You can also brine the chicken before cooking for 1 to 2 hours in a mixture of cold water and kosher salt. I use the "Sticky Fingers" dry rub available from the barbecue chain of the same name on their website.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Smile Or, instead of a dry rub...

you can do the exact same cooking method and butterfly'd preparation to make Jerk Chicken... but you'll need to rub on the Jerk the night before, so that has a while to get into the meat.

I think that the only Jerk Seasoning which tastes right is Walker's Wood, which can be mail-ordered from many places. (Vernon's ain't as good, I think. The others are all "heat", no "spice", kinda worthless.)

Use the bottled version, it'll marinate better than the dry and you can skip the olive oil prep. Jerk also does great on a London Broil, Steak, Pork Chop, or Fish... but Chicken is the Classic.

- - - - -
That flattened 'Butterfly' approach looks and cooks GREAT, thanks!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

There is some benefit to the idiot 080522jk in that I am finding cool threads I have not seen before. I plan to try this recipe tomorrow if I can get up to Sticky Fingers on the other end of the beach to get the dry rub.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I made the chicken dish last night...it was wonderful!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote