TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
hhoenig

Default new tires

This is our first trailer of any type. Bought an 04 2619 in Aug. of 03. This being the 5th season of use(probably less than 5000 total miles), I am thinking of getting new tires. When I called the local trailer shop for an appt., I was told none was needed. They would sell me Goodyears mounted on new rims, for approx. $125 each tire., and I could put them on the trailer myself. Not balanced. Or I could go to the local tire shop and have them do everything, probably for a lot more $$. My concern with that is, does a tire shop know how to jack a trailer properly? Also, the trailer shop told me to check the tires for cracking or dry rot, and if none was detected, I could probably get some more use out of them, since they had such low mileage. Not sure what my question is, just a little confused. Thanks for any input.
Enjoy camping.
Henry
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

It would make more sense, Id say to remove your tires, take them in, have the new ones mounted on your existing rims and balanced, then bring them home and put them back on your TM. No need to buy new rims if there is nothing wrong with yours. Gives you practice on changing a tire on the TM...just in case!

Cheri
Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
PopBeavers

As I recall you must jack the frame and not the axle. I know it is in my manual, in the Dexter axle section.

A wheel with a cheap ST 205 75D14 tire on it cost me 89 bucks yesterday here in Silicon Valley.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
hhoenig

Default new tires

Thanks Cheri & Wayne. Jacking the frame, does that mean I can use the stabilizers to jack up the trailer?
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoenig View Post
This is our first trailer of any type. Bought an 04 2619 in Aug. of 03. This being the 5th season of use(probably less than 5000 total miles), I am thinking of getting new tires. When I called the local trailer shop for an appt., I was told none was needed. They would sell me Goodyears mounted on new rims, for approx. $125 each tire., and I could put them on the trailer myself. Not balanced. Or I could go to the local tire shop and have them do everything, probably for a lot more $$. My concern with that is, does a tire shop know how to jack a trailer properly? Also, the trailer shop told me to check the tires for cracking or dry rot, and if none was detected, I could probably get some more use out of them, since they had such low mileage. Not sure what my question is, just a little confused. Thanks for any input.
Enjoy camping.
Henry
Hey Henry, I would decide first on what tires you want to use for the replacements. We have been talking alot aobut this and there are several options available to you, especially if you have the 14 inch size. If you haven't already seen these forums, I can give you some links to where others have changed brands, used the Euro tires, etc. We're calling this the great tire experiment.

After you decide exactly what you want, then you can decide where you want to get them from. (ie, locally, mail order, etc). As far as asking if a tire shop knows where to jack your trailer properly, I can't answer. I have no way of knowing their expertise, training, or knowledge factors. However, if you arm yourself with the knowledge that others have provided in these forums, then you can make sure whomever you decide to use, does properly work on your trailer. You sure don't want to be at the mercy of the old "That's the way we have always done it" attitude from someone.

Sure you can get a few more miles from your tires. You can actually drive them all the way till they pop, but you are wisely doing what is called preventative maintenance..........to lessen your chances of being stuck somewhere if/when they do go kablooey.