TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
MountainCamper

Default TM Weighing Process

My better half and I are planning to upgrade from our pop-up to either a 2720SL or 3124KS early next year. I’ve been shadowing the forum for almost 2 years and finally became a site sponsor the middle of this year due to the wealth of info provided here. We live above Colorado Springs, CO, at about 6900’, and we depart from there to go camping UP into the Rockies. This is very similar to the posts from RockyMtnRay, ColoradoCop, CastleRockCamper, ColoradoAl and a few others here along the Front Range of the Rockies, so high altitude loss in the TV performance is just another part of everyday life. As can been seen by my signature, we currently have a 03’ 4x4 Pathfinder w/ factory tow package, which would be the probable TV for the 2720SL, but I strongly feel we would need to secure a more substantial TV if we decide to go with the 3124KS. In either situation, TM weights play a part into the decision making, thus below, I have a few questions on realistic TV & TM weights.

I’ve researched many of the posts within discussing TM loaded weights in trying develop a matrix of reality: what a nominally optioned and outfitted TM weighs, either with or without fluids & gear loaded, supporting how many adults, for how long, etc, etc, but I still have a basic question regarding these posted TM weights. (Realize, I know I’m an Engineer, but we all have handicaps to overcome……) Is there a consensus between the forum’s weight-gurus as how the TM weights have consistently been determined: i.e.: which weighting process below (or some other) might have been used to calculate the TM weights published within the forums?

#1) the full TM alone on the truck scale, providing the combined axle + tongue weight, with no WDH attached from the TV, or

#2) the just the TM’s axle alone, with the tongue statically supported off scale but not by the WDH to the TV, providing the TM gross axle weight only, or

#3) the just TM’s axle with the WDH installed to the TV, which also includes the portion of the WDH-distributed tongue weight onto the TM’s axle

Net, I’m unsure yet when I read about a recorded TM weight, say 3600#, which of the 3 above weighing processes derived that weight since the 3600# could imply differences of several hundred pounds with regard to the TM gross axle and tongue weights, as well as the TV gross vehicle, gross axle (front and rear) and gross combined vehicle weights.

Thanks in advance..