TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Unhappy That was ME!

I was the one with the issue about the rim and tire. Too bad I found out about this AFTER the fact! To my knowledge, TM's with 15" tires are rated at 65psi max (LRD) on the tires and so they only equipped them with rims rated the same. If I were you, I would buy new rims from etrailer.com . Before I changed out to 16" tires I bought new Maxxis tires (LDE) and new rims rated at 100psi (or so that is what they told me they were rated at...but they will hold 80psi) last fall before we went out to California. 5,500 miles later and never a single issue with them, and that's towing at 72MPH! Why take a chance? Just get new rims and then you won't have to worry. I found out the hard way !!! I had e rated tires on a d rated rims (not knowing there was such a thing as rated rims) and while running 70-75 psi the rims couldn't hold the pressure and BOOM! There she went, half way between San Antonio and Corpus Christi on I-37 in 105° weather. NO FUN-O! You can read more about this on my website (see my signature). If you don't get new rims, NEVER run more than 65psi! Remember, your tires will heat up as you drive down the road and there by increasing the pressure in the tire by at least 5-10psi depending on the weather. So start out like Bill with less psi when the tires are cold. Having a tire monitor that tells you the tire temp comes in real handy here!
By the way, I still have my 15" Maxxis tires and wheels (LRE), and would let them go at $90 a piece (you pay the shipping). If your within 100 miles of me I'll bring them to you. If you want to take a trip to Austin Texas you can save to shipping cost....just FYI.....
TC
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

LNT123: am surprised, thought the 3124 came with a 5k axle and 6 bolt wheels. Am surprised a 6 bolt wheel would only be rated for 65 psi. OTOH I have heard that more than 65 will shake the trailer a lot.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #13
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Once again, sorry to resurrect an old post... just put new tires on (came to me w/ original Marathons, on 15" steel rims, 225/75 R15 - 2007!!) Shop guy filled them to 60 psi.

I went with Carlisle Trail HD Radials, load range E. Now I keep seeing references to the psi limits for rims being stamped on the backside of the rim. I can't find anything that says anything about psi on mine. I am still inclined to run at 65 psi, since I really do not carry much - dishes, cutlery, a few pots n pans, basic food, some water (not a lot) some clothes and that is about it.

Attached is a pic of what is stamped on the backside of my rim... Anything there that would be code for max psi rating? That 15 x 6 C (I think). Is that C an indication of the psi? FYI, tires are rated for 80 psi, steel valves. Thanks.

Edit: May have found part of my answer - the psi rating is INSIDE? the rim? Not on the backside? So you can't know unless you take the newly mounted tire back off? Just MHO - that seems silly! Backside would be awkward enough, but inside?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1725.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	22123  
Old 06-07-2023, 01:16 PM   #14
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

My thoughts are that there probably weren't any load range E tires in 15" back then - so likely these would be 65 psi max - designed for load range D tires?
Old 06-07-2023, 02:22 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNMac
... Now I keep seeing references to the psi limits for rims being stamped on the backside of the rim.
Deb -

Are the markings in your photo on the backside of the rim, or the inside of the rim? Often they are found on the inside - the part that is covered by the tire once the tire is mounted. Handy huh? So you may not find the marking unless you dismount the tire, then remount it, then (of course) re-balance it.

Another way to get an idea is via the valve stems, presumed to have been originally installed on the wheel. See this
https://www.etrailer.com/question-230756.html

Can you identify the maker of the wheel? If so, you can query them, probably on their web site. Last week I went through this same question. I upgraded from TM's OEM LR-D tires (65 psi) to new LR-E tires. After the tire jockey mounted them and inflated them to 78 psi, he mumbled "Gee I wonder if the wheels can take that pressure." So I deflated them to 72 and we continued the trip. When we got home, I shot off a query to HiSpec, the wheel maker, explaining the situation with the D-to-E conversion. They immediately responded "They will easily handle 80 psi".

My trailer also had the proper valve stem for 80 psi

So I am resting easier.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #16
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Hi Bill. That picture is from the backside of the rim. If I had realized the rating info was on the inside, I would made sure he checked before he mounted the tires.

I have steel valves on all of the wheels - came with the rims from what I can see so it would seem the valves can handle 80psi. Rims are the big question.

Maker is CT&W. Carlisle Tire & Wheel. 2009 mfr date. I have a query in to them. We’ll see what they come back with. But I agree that it is more likely a 65psi rated rim being from ‘09. Could be pleasantly surprised… that would be a switch! Nothing else has been a pleasant surprise, though nothing really has been totally unexpected.

If all else fails I can bring back one tire and have him take a look inside then remount and rebalance. Maybe the spare, since I’m working getting the rack tweaked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94CF6EFF-90D6-41E1-AA7C-E0BE06E3C7FB.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	22125  
Old 06-07-2023, 04:22 PM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Just a tip Deb Mac......... I see rust spots on the rims. Once the rims start rusting, that degrades the PSI rating anyway.

Having said that, I've never seen a post on anyone experiencing issues with wheel leaking or breaking.

Even if your "E" rated tires are rated at 80PSI cold, I wouldn't run them over 60PSI. It just causes a very hard ride on the trailer. 60-65PSI is plenty to support under 2,000# of load per tire. Those tires are probably rated @ around 2500# each and would need 80# of pressure when carrying 5000#.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:12 PM   #18
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Just a tip Deb Mac......... I see rust spots on the rims. Once the rims start rusting, that degrades the PSI rating anyway.

Having said that, I've never seen a post on anyone experiencing issues with wheel leaking or breaking.

Even if your "E" rated tires are rated at 80PSI cold, I wouldn't run them over 60PSI. It just causes a very hard ride on the trailer. 60-65PSI is plenty to support under 2,000# of load per tire. Those tires are probably rated @ around 2500# each and would need 80# of pressure when carrying 5000#.
I wondered about the little rust spots. It’s all surface and just on the outside of the lip. The part that contacts the tire bead is ok. I couldn’t see running them at 80 anyway. I had thought 65-70 psi. But if the rims are only rated to 65psi, I guess my decision has been made for me. I can’t see them being 80psi rims. In spite of the metal valve stems. I’m good with running them at 60-65. They’re filled at 60 right now.

One more thing to put on my “maybe get next year” list…
Old 06-07-2023, 06:59 PM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
I wondered about the little rust spots. It’s all surface and just on the outside of the lip. The part that contacts the tire bead is ok. I couldn’t see running them at 80 anyway. I had thought 65-70 psi. But if the rims are only rated to 65psi, I guess my decision has been made for me. I can’t see them being 80psi rims. In spite of the metal valve stems. I’m good with running them at 60-65. They’re filled at 60 right now.

One more thing to put on my “maybe get next year” list…
I remember when I put new tires on my 2004 TM. The stamp on the inside of the white steel rim said, Max PSI 55#.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #20
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
I remember when I put new tires on my 2004 TM. The stamp on the inside of the white steel rim said, Max PSI 55#.
Were you on 14” or 15” rims? Load range C? Or D? Do you remember? My 15” rims had D’s on them I think. I’ll stop at the shop that did the tires tomorrow and see what they were. Can’t remember but I’m pretty sure they were D.

Still think inside the rim is a really silly place to put that information. If I buy a used trailer with good tires, good dating on them, and I don’t know what the psi rating of the rims are, he could have E’s on there, inflated to say 75psi, but the rims are only rated to 65. Unless you pop the tires off, you have no way of knowing…. Silly! It would be so easy to stamp it into the back of the rim, with the other info…

Tags
load rating, rims, tires