TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Camping Kids

Default Fair price vs NADA price

I have been checking Craigslist ads for older 3023 Trailmanors. It seems that most in the west are priced $3000 - $4000 more than the NADA average retail. In the east the prices on Craigslist are only $1000 - $2000 more than the NADA average retail. Does this seem right or are some of these people way over priced?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you find chart 20 TM's for sale, and they are all priced much higher than NADA, then I think you will have your answer.

I use NADA guides only as that - guides. They are useful in comparing one unit to another within the guide. For example, you might find that a 2008 model is valued 30% more than a 2003 model, and that's good information to know.

But just as they are with cars, they are only a guide, especially when it comes to actual dollar values. I know NADA guides are notoriously low for certain boats as well, like Boston Whalers. I think the more niche the product you look up, the more likely the NADA value will be lower than market value.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
clown9644

I think used campers follow the same concept as used homes for sale. The owner prices way too high and calls that "fair" cause he "NEEDS" that amount to move on to his next venture. I always counseled my clients that this is not going to be the actual selling price and in fact by overpricing their homes they probably have put it in a price point that is higher than the house/neighborhood can support and prices over the amount people use as their ceiling. A real good measuring stick: ask how long it has been on the market. The longer the time frame the more it was overpriced and the folks who really were interested moved on to other things.

Just because they are asking $4000 above book does not mean they are going to get it. I agree that NADA is about 3+ months behind, after all they have to collect the data and get it averaged out and then put into the book. Kelly is a little better. But remember it is these books that a dealer will go to to figure out what to give you in trade in.

If it were me trying to buy a used camper I would go by NADA and offer that fair market value, or less. Let the buyer think about it and counter offer. After all that is what negotiations are all about. He wants the very most he can get, you want to pay the very least you can. The best deal possible is where both parties feel they got what the wanted.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I just checked the NADA guide price for our gently used 1997 2720; average retail is $2,290. There's no way I'd sell it for anywhere near that price.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
ragmopp

If it were me trying to buy a used camper I would go by NADA and offer that fair market value, or less. Let the buyer think about it and counter offer

If/when I sell my TM and someone comes to me with the above he/she would not get a counter offer. Period. When I sell my stuff, I price the item fairly with little or no room for negotiation. And to price the TM fairly I would take into account many factors prior to setting on a price. If the buyer doesn't like it too bad for them. I am not going to waste my time haggling. I would rather keep the TM than go through that.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I think part of the asking price for used TM's is what is owed on the finance note. Unfortunately, many young owners are financing the max with little to no down payment. Travel trailers are notorious for losing their value very quickly and the new owner may be upside down in the first two years. Sellers are hoping to get at least break even on the deal. I purchased my 2002 last year. The seller was asking $8k. I offered a thousand less and bought it. NADA suggests the unit is worth only $4-5k? I felt then and now it was a good deal for me. That's the only thing that matters...to me, the unit is worth $10k to me but no one is going to pay that much for a 10 year old unit. I paid cash so its mine for life. At some point, an RV, in good shape, will stabilize in value and hold that value for many years as long as the critical components are working like AC, Refer, Furnace, WH, awning, axles, and no leaks. You add up the electrical or gas components alone to replace and you would spend several thousand dollars. The value of ownership to camp with family and friends in places that allow you to connect with nature is Priceless!!!!

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
HappyWDWCampers

Quote:
Unfortunately, many young owners are financing the max with little to no down payment. Travel trailers are notorious for losing their value very quickly and the new owner may be upside down in the first two years.
This is exactly why I would never buy a new TM, unless you get an _extraordinary_ deal -- they're simply too expensive, and drop in value too quickly from their high to justify a new purchase.

Conversely, I would be sad if no one had bought my '09 new -- I'd not have had to opportunity to get it so blastedly cheap (used) otherwise. Same with my Expy -- I bought it for 1/4 of it's original sticker price with low mileage -- can't beat that...

Someone's gotta buy new - I just don't want to be the one who does.

John
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
yoda911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Kids View Post
I have been checking Craigslist ads for older 3023 Trailmanors. It seems that most in the west are priced $3000 - $4000 more than the NADA average retail. In the east the prices on Craigslist are only $1000 - $2000 more than the NADA average retail. Does this seem right or are some of these people way over priced?
We were shopping for a used 2720SD in the Denver metro area last year and found that the local prices from both private sellers and dealers were $3000 + over NADA values. I drove 1000 miles east to Texas to get a TM listed at the NADA value from a dealer that also added a new battery and re calked the entire unit, verifying that everything was working . For me it was well worth the drive to get a fair price. I found your suspicions to be correct, at least for me. I think it is all related to the local economies and what the local markets will tolerate. Good luck in your search and consider driving a ways to get what you really want at a price you are willing to pay.
yoda911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Kids View Post
The fine print over there at NADA is that the guide is NOT based on actual sales like you might think. It just reduces RV prices by fixed percentages every year in a way that hypothetically lands in the ballpark. So it's not nearly as good a source as people may think it is.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote