TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
TnP-2027

Default How to Replace Water Heater Element and Anode Rod - Suburban SW6 DE - DIY

Hopefully this thread can help new owners avoid my experience of blowing the electric water heater element and then having to replace it!

First - read this excellent post by Bill from the Technical Library: https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=19658

We found our first TM this summer - a 2009 2720 - and bought it!

This TM came with a dual mode water heater - propane and electric.

The previous owners gave it to us with water in the fresh water tank, and the outside switch in the external water heater compartment switched to "ON".

We went camping, and I did not know too much about the operations of the water heater. I was focused more on the fridge and toilet!

When it came time to go home from our first trip in the TM, I turned off all the switches under the sink, and then cracked the drains for the freshwater tank and water heater so we could lose weight as we drove home.

At home, I plugged the TM into our 20A/110V service in the garage and promptly blew the GFCI at the outlet!

Bill kindly helped me figure out that the GFCI may have been tripping b/c I blew the electric water heater element. If this does not make immediate sense to you, I had to think about it for a second as well! Read here: https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ead.php?t=8101
TnP-2027 is offline   Reply With Quote