TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Awning Repair

Wrong - not good for rub strip. Atomic Tape sounds like old-fashioned friction tape, still available at Ace Hardware for $1.79 a roll. Anyone who remembers that stuff remembers that it didn't really stick to anything except itself. You would stretch it, wrap it over itself, and the layers would gradually melt into each other. But a single layer wouldn't stick to a broad flat expanse like a TM roof, or a flat expanse of awing fabric.

I'm still hoping the factory will get caught up, and contact me about rub strip.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:08 PM   #12
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Bill,
Do you think that this Clear Vinyl Body Shield would work for a rub strip?
Go to www.jcwhitney.com and search for item # 14ZX5497X
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Yes! That looks like the stuff that would work. Thanks, Mike. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bill
Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 PM   #14
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Maybe an old-fashioned way would work...take a needle and thread (white carpet thread) and sew back and forth, crossing over the rip and back, and going under and over the fabric where it is ripped overlapping the rip by about an inch and a half.

Got patience? You may not need a patch? How frayed is the cut?

You can buy a sturdy craft needle at most places that sell those sort of things.

Atomic tape? Sounds like something that we must have....

Sounds like a challenging repair. Let us know how it comes out.

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:04 PM   #15
Larry_Loo

[quote author=Bill link=board=2;threadid=1701;start=msg12022#msg12022 date=1077639046]
Wrong - not good for rub strip. Atomic Tape sounds like old-fashioned friction tape, still available at Ace Hardware for $1.79 a roll. Anyone who remembers that stuff remembers that it didn't really stick to anything except itself. You would stretch it, wrap it over itself, and the layers would gradually melt into each other. But a single layer wouldn't stick to a broad flat expanse like a TM roof, or a flat expanse of awing fabric.
[/quote]

Bill, how about considering adhesive-backed UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) tape for the rub strips? I use the 3/4" width on the tool that I manufacture. The tape sticks on to a surface quite tenaciously and UHMW has a very low coefficient of friction. I believe that it's available in widths wider than 3/4". ??? ???
Old 02-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #16
mamabear

Where do you buy it? We are looking for something for rub strips too.

mamabear
Old 02-27-2004, 09:37 AM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Google is your friend. Given Larry's clue, it turned it up in a lot of places. One that I have dealt with is McMaster-Carr. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and enter "uhmw tape" into the search box. They have it in 5-yard rolls, several widths and thicknesses. I would think that 3" width would be a good choice for most TM rub strip applications. Not sure about the thickness, but perhaps the 6.5 mil stuff would be a good compromise.

Bill
Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 AM   #18
EPICSDUDE

I have the awning repaired! Th tear was not as large as I first thought. Actually only 6 inches! But at 2 in the morning during a driving rainstom and 30mph winds, it looked bigger. I used some awning repair tape I purchased at my local RV store. I also used some Goop RV adhesive purchased at Home Depot. I taped the top side of the tear with the tape and then used the glue on the underside. I then put another piece of tape on the underside for good measure. it looks like it will hold and be water proof. I will try to post some photos!

I reattached the awning to my 1999 2720SL. There are 10 screws that are used to attach it. I drilled pilot holes in between the original holes on the awning. I was able to get all of the screws to firmly attach to wood along the roof, except the front of the TM. It seems like the screws did not go into any wood at all. The screw holes are only 1/2 inche away from the original ones. Does any one know how large the wood anchor is along the roof? ???
Old 03-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #19
arknoah

Folks may laugh at me, too, but we always take our awning down when we're away for the day, and at night. The real value is what it does for you while you're there (I know, it can keep the inside cooler even when we're not there), but we figure being cautious about an expensive item is always a good idea.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:03 PM   #20
EPICSDUDE

What makes matters worse is the same thing happened about 5 years ago with my pop-up. We got out of camping for about 4 years and just now started back. I guess my old-timers disease clouded my memory.

Now that the awning is repaired and back on the TM, it will used only on calm days with me sitting under it.

This board is great! It's like a big family! Good advice and some good natured ribbing! ;D