TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default "Level top corners for proper seal"

In going through a flier from my TM dealer advertising their "Spring Tune-up Special" offer, I found under the "adjustment" area an item for "Level top corners for proper seal". I presume this adjustment comes into play when both shells are raised so that the top seals are properly meeting between the two shells. And I'd further assume it's done by raising/lowering the legs on the underlying torsion bars (sounds like at least 2 person job though).

I don't recall any previous mention of this adjustment here, though...so do any of the long-time owners have any knowledge to shed on the subject?

The rest of "tune-up" seemed to mostly be routine maintenance stuff that any semi-knowledgable and conscientious owner should be doing: battery electrolyte level/charge, pressurize/leak check the water system, check operation of the lights :, check operation of furnace/AC, inspect tongue, inspect tires, lube jacks, check/tighten wheel lug nuts, adjust lift arm tension, adjust latchdowns, check/tighten lift arm bolts.

Some was a bit more than an average owner might do but still not terribly difficult: check anode rod in the water heater, lube wheel bearings, check/adjust brakes, check/adjust pocket stop bolts, tighten toilet to the floor. Darn good profit maker for the dealer though: $249 for what looks to be less than one, maybe two, hours of labor by a decent tech.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:"Level top corners for proper seal"

[quote author=RockyMtnRay link=board=2;threadid=1844;start=msg13058#msg13058 date=1082056101]
In going through a flier from my TM dealer advertising their "Spring Tune-up Special" offer, I found under the "adjustment" area an item for "Level top corners for proper seal". I presume this adjustment comes into play when both shells are raised so that the top seals are properly meeting between the two shells. And I'd further assume it's done by raising/lowering the legs on the underlying torsion bars (sounds like at least 2 person job though).

I don't recall any previous mention of this adjustment here, though...so do any of the long-time owners have any knowledge to shed on the subject?
[/quote]

Ray,

Been there and done that. Had to work out the technique myself, however. The factory might provide an elegant approach to the task. Go to the following link. The 3rd reply is my attempt to clarify my non-visual arm-waving original post.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/yabb...sg4711#msg4711

HTH insome small way.

Denny_A

Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:16 AM   #3
ColoradoCop

Ray, I also got my invite from CarShow and was shocked by the amount they wanted to do average maintenance. I assumed that everyone would be flocking to Colorado Springs and having to park on North Nevada just to take advantage of the "deal" ;D
Considered setting up a TM Camporee for the "Maintenance Challenged" campers. We could sit around and try to figure out the real meaning of Thetford Recirculating Terlits, try some of the favorite food items, and attempt to get this voyage as an annual event. :P
Ready for the Snows to melt so you can get back to the High Country ??? Right now at 05:00, it is 51 degrees in Burlington. Pretty warm for Apr.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 04-16-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=Denny_A link=board=2;threadid=1844;start=msg13062#msg13062 date=1082074818]
[quote author=RockyMtnRay link=board=2;threadid=1844;start=msg13058#msg13058 date=1082056101]

[/quote]

Ray,

Been there and done that. Had to work out the technique myself, however. The factory might provide an elegant approach to the task. Go to the following link. The 3rd reply is my attempt to clarify my non-visual arm-waving original post.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/yabb...sg4711#msg4711

HTH insome small way.

Denny_A

[/quote]
Ah...pretty much as I visualized. And also it seems it would be pretty obvious when such an adjustment is needed. And I had read that post before but didn't remember it...thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=ColoradoCop link=board=2;threadid=1844;start=msg13076#msg13076 date=1082114165]
Ray, I also got my invite from CarShow and was shocked by the amount they wanted to do average maintenance. I assumed that everyone would be flocking to Colorado Springs and having to park on North Nevada just to take advantage of the "deal" ;D
[/quote]
Yeah, for a TM in pretty good shape, the "deal" is mighty pricey. But in their defense, if they do happen to get a few TMs in that are in pretty bad shape and that do need a lot of adjustments, they could wind up spending half a day on each. One price deals are a gamble for both the consumer and service provider...though more often than not...and like in most gambles, the consumer gets overcharged.

But apparently it's a pretty popular thing...it's nearly impossible to get a maintenance appointment between mid April and mid July. I found that out last April when I took mine in to have an awning added and while it was there I told them to go ahead and do the "annual maintenance". I was supposed to be able to get the trailer back in about 3 days but somehow that became more like 10 days...apparently the shop was constantly having to get new trailers ready for sale and handling emergency-we're-heading-out-this-weekend-and-need-something-fixed-now repairs for other customers. But when I saw how little they did that I hadn't already done (basically a brake adjustment and bearing lube were the only tasks I hadn't done)...and how long they took to do it, I vowed I wasn't going to do that again this year. When I took my TM over there in Feb to have a side-mounted AC retrofitted (which again took a couple of days longer than promised), they seemed shocked that I wasn't going to bring my trailer in for the get-ready-for-the-season maintenance...and even more when I told them I felt quite comfortable doing the work myself.

Quote:
Considered setting up a TM Camporee for the "Maintenance Challenged" campers. We could sit around and try to figure out the real meaning of Thetford Recirculating Terlits, try some of the favorite food items, and attempt to get this voyage as an annual event. :P
Sorta a camporee, eh? Maybe someplace else than North Nevada Ave and especially on CS's overly crammed lot.
Quote:
Ready for the Snows to melt so you can get back to the High Country ??? Right now at 05:00, it is 51 degrees in Burlington. Pretty warm for Apr.
Ayup! Hope to take my first camping trip somewhere around May 9th...thought I'd start with a trip to the Great Sand Dunes NP cause that place gets unbelieveably hot later in the summer. And then as the summer progresses and the snows melt out of the High Country I'll gradually move up in altitude.